Maketoys Cupola KO

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Apr 6, 2017.

1. JPrime

JPrime Michael Bay Assassin

Just got my parts in. The new ratchet parts were a HUGE difference. I also used the front foot plates on mine, but I won't be using foot piece since they don't match well in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chaoticon

Chaoticon Well-Known Member

How long did it take for you guys to receive the cupola replacement parts when you ordered it directly from the Maketoys.jp website? I live in the US

3. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Like 8 days.

4. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A little over a week or so.

5. Chaoticon

Chaoticon Well-Known Member

I looked at a couple of the videos on YouTube regarding the angle parts and I still don't understand how the new part is supposed to make the ball and socket joint tighter? Is that tubular shape connector that goes into the ball thicker than the old part so it fills and stretches the ball more and in turn makes the ball-socket joint tighter?

6. Arthimuz Prime

Arthimuz Prime Fat Minibot

Ebay:
    Got mine. I think i can tolerate the feet part. I just have to adjust it every time i change his pose. Nevertheless, he is great as a KO. :buttrock  P_20170604_180905_1_1.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. RockfordFosgate

RockfordFosgate Active Member

Bravo! We got a genius! This is a human with brains and not another monkey from Walmart. Buy the product on the basis of the build quality/qc. Only monkeys are loyal to a certain brand or only buy from original makers. Majority of these companies produce similar quality products. Every one of them will have their certain issue/s. If you were talking about 3+years ago, then yes, KOs are less inferior to originals. Today is a whole new ball-game!

8. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There's a pretty good argument for supporting the original creator, as without them you wouldn't have the KO in the first place. I'm not anti-KO. I've bought oversized KOs and in instances where I've owned the original and an improved KO has come along I've 'upgraded'. But supporting the design process by financing the design company is not as entirely mindless as you suggest, I'd argue. And it's definitely true that KOs are still just as likely (maybe more likely?) to be inferior as they are to be comparable or better than the source.

9. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I finally installed the new feet on mine and there is absolutely no difference whatsoever. I'm not even sure HOW those parts are supposed to make the feet tighter.

Then I went to install the hips parts and found the spring glued on one side and a screw completely factory-stripped on the other side.

So yeah, not the best luck with using the replacement parts. :lol 

10. tk7261

tk7261 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has already been answered. Has anyone been able to see the Maketoys and Yes Model versions in person together? How close is the color of the light tan colored parts? The only video/picture I found of them together was the benscollectables video, and the Maketoys looked brighter in color, but I suspect it was mainly the lighting doing that.

11. Datstro

Datstro Plastic Surgeon

News Credits:
    Need a photo of Data Clerk next to a binaltech please...
    Just wondering if he'll fit my display of binaltech themed cars.
    Thanks dudes.......

12. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both there is enough differences to be certain which one you are buying - but there are also similar enouigh that there are easy to get mixed up - My Yes Model has a very odd hip rathet where is strongly clicks one way and is a loose indented ratchet the other. where as the other legs clicks both ways as does my maketoys one's legs (both are fine on him.

Ben's review was pretty much spot on to my experience with Data Clerk too - he doesn't hold his guns as well as Cupola for example - also the handles are super hard to get out if you close them full for car mode storage.
    The little headmaster dude's elbows are super loose too. the sides of the body don't tab into the arms either - they do on Cupola's on Data Clerk they are very loose.

But in terms of materials, plastic, finish and such they are nigh on identical. Just little differences like the grey on his face is alittle darker on the Yes Model one and his eyes look a little different (I didn't notice a huge dfference in the small robots face like Ben did - botht he face on mie are perfectly legible), The chest flap was a bit loose and I had t drip some floor polish in the hinge to help it hold better. I'll need to do the sam with the grey hinges in the feet, hinge on the back of his calves & crotch too. overall though there is no great reason to be disatisfied with either one.

Oh and no problems with the wheels falling off on my Cupola either - As to the legs they seem the same as Cupola on Data Clerk - they will hold him but they are hardly tight - (much like Desptron really). maketoys needs to think a bit on their ankle designs i'd say.

Lets see what else - the grey paint on the car hood is a bit darker on the Yes Model too and the hinges on mine are very stiff that you use to expend the torso for car mode - I have to use a lot of force to get them out. there is no natural stopping point either. where as they cuploa they pop out and stay put perfectly The wheels sit a bit better on cuploa too - he's a bit wobbly on his wheels on the yes model I like both and It's nice to have one to keep in vehicle mode now. I'll likely buy both for Iron Will too.

Now I just want to see someone make a down-sized KO of this.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    As far as DC's hands not holding the gun well gots you could try sanding the slot edges a little bit or email MakeToys for a new set of official Cupola hands for a small fee.

14. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh they don't fall out or anthing they just can get knocked out if you knock them from the side the Cupola you can hold him by the guns and shake him and they won't come out. To be honest it's just a mild issue It's not even worth "Operating" If I didn't have Cuploa as well and was able to compare i'd have just shrugged and not really noticed it as an issue at all - it still works just a tiny tiny bit less well than on Cupola. (sort of like how the little dudes elbows are a little bit looser - you'd never notice if you didn't have both in hand)

I don't want to put anyone off the Yes Model one as it's not like he's Crap or anything far from it. they are effectively identical any differences are within the bounds of QC on any other toy - they just happen to be ones that are consistant between what i've got and what Ben's Collectables had/has.

On a Positive point though the outward shoulder friction hinge is stronger on Data Clerk than it is on Cupola.

15. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Mine arrived today, but thje guns are missing. I hope the seller will be able to send me replacements, or at least refund me some bucks.
    Apart from that, the guy is nice. It's a very good looking Chromedome with a clever transformation, although in my first attempt I wasn't be able to tab everything correclty in vehicle mode. I'm a bit sad about the limited range of motion of the hips that limit his poseability, and that's the main reason I bought the KO for half the price.

16. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    What seller did you buy from?
    If for some reason the seller cannot help or is moving slow you can reach out to MakeToys directly at [email protected] and explain the situation.

17. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I bought from bababobo on ebay, I already contacted him. I'm not planning to contact Maketoys because...well, it seems a bit too much to ask them service a KO.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Ahh. I forgot this was the KO thread. Baba will be able to take care of you.
    I've bought spare weapons from Maketoys for a few bucks in the past.

19. HMRC4EVR

HMRC4EVR Well-Known Member

I was really happy with Data Clerk. I was going to get Yes Models version of Ironwill but w Chosen Prime's holiday sale I got the org MT version him for $80, only $10-ish more than Yes Model. Now I just need time to open and enjoy him.

20. rubadubspawn

rubadubspawn Rubadubspawn deals @ [email protected]

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YM is clearing out their KO MP Headmasters!

Yes Model YM11 RF-01 Data Clerk Cupola YM12 RF-02 Stubbom Buffett Set of 2 $103.

Free shipping included ;) 

I have both of the originals and both of the KO's - and even though I have zero to nil attachment to these characters, for the size and price of these at like $50 each shipped, I don't know how anybody can really say no, unless you are an anti-KO activist...