MakeToys Cross Dimension Thunder Erebus (Nucleon Quest)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by hardreturn, Mar 25, 2017.

1. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I got this guy today and I am super into it. This is a really great product just like everything from the cross dimension line. I could gush on and on about it, but I won't.
    I do hope we get a good bomber set for him, seeing all the unused tabs and slots gets me excited about the possibilities.

Oh, one issue, is anyone else having trouble getting the cab's side fenders to tab in properly in vehicle mode? I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it didn't seem to work right when I tried it

2. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

Are you trying to force the outer, visible red one in? That's the wrong tab, you use the blue tab here. Green slides in over there. The red X'd out one is what I was trying to put in, until I tok a closer look.
    tabs.png

3. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Probably late to the party on this one... but I had to 'Shop up the colors. The proportions of that TINY truck with GIANT trailer just screams Armada Overload or Magnus.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  4. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

Nice work! I like how you threw the Renderform head on there

5. CodeXCDM

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks. Venksta did an amazing job with that sculpt. Also, the Armada Magnus shot I used as reference was low-res. That said, I'd be legitimately interested in a retool that used that head and deco similar to the one I just 'shopped.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Thanks for the diagram! Ya, its the tab you circled in blue that won't seem to go in the slot you circled in blue. I can't figure out if its because the tab is too big or just a little too far away. everything else tabs in place, but that blue circled tab just sorta rests over the slot its supposed to go in. It works fine enough and the wheels still roll, just feels like it should tab in.

man I love this set. its so good. Maketoys makes such fantastic products.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  7. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

• Like Like x 7
  8. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What the fuck was that. Amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CodeXCDM

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly. TBH, it made me far more interested in the figure. Didn't realize that smaller bot was that insanely articulate. Still want a Magnus repaint tho. >_>

• Like Like x 2
  10. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry for the crappy background. Getting Diesel from combiner mode to truck mode was . . an ordeal. Had to use breaux man's transformation video, its been so long. Here's Fansproject Diesel next to Thunder Erebus in truck mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyways, I thought these two would be an interesting contrast. Both are obstensibly big rig trucks in alt mode, both come from the FP/MT family. I don't believe the Cross Dimension designer is the same as the Crossfire/Combiner guy, but we know that FP/MT are, at worst, kissing cousins. Their design aesthetics speak to me and complement each other.

It's also fascinating to see that Erebus is NOT a combiner, but has so much more mass - it's the same length, but wider, and MUCH busier. It's got clearly visible panels/hinges, but a crap load of molded detail. I appreciate that circular fan venting alot - it looks awesome. OTOH, Diesel is a shockingly clean truck - sure, you can see hinges and panel breaks, but by and large, it's a smooth truck. Smoother than Erebus.

The cab is also worth a look. Diesel's cab cannot separate, it's built into the trailer due to the transformation. The damn mold is so complicated, adding MORE joints to make it a functional, separate truck cab would have just . . . ugh.
    Erebus is tiny - i think it would look fantastic if the cab were double or 50% larger, to be close to Diesel's cab - but again, that would require much more complicated transformation or parts forming to become small enough to fit into the larger robot mode's chest cavity. I would have forgiven parts forming I think, but I understand that they didn't want do do that. You'd have half the figure lying around as basically a shell.

Note also that Erebus isn't hollow by any stretch, but there's empty pockets of air in there. Diesel, on the other hand, is PACKED TIGHT. Every square millimeter of the Diesel trailer is stuffed with combiner bits, hinges, weapons - hell, the fuckin' sword is part of the exterior paneling. Just an incredible amount of engineering to maximize every bit of mass. It has its downsides - the transformation is insane, and donig it again after years of not doing it just reinforces how totally methed out the designer must have been.

Anyways, Diesel came out at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014, Erebus was just released August 2017. That's nearly a four year gap in time - more if you consider that Diesel was shown or conceived as far back as 2012, if i recall correctly

A fun look at how engineering at this CHUG scale has come, and how these two projects handled big rigs

• Like Like x 7
  11. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Dear christ that guy is annoying and an obnoxious try hard. The rapid-fire jump cut editing felt like he was trying to make his review feel like a fight scene in the Bay films. Par for the course for youtube I guess.

EDIT: After making it through the vid I'll be a little nicer and grant that if he dialed back a bit didn't reach for a pubescent boy's sense of humour he could actually have a pretty great channel. But then I'm closer to 40 than I am to 20 so I may simply have aged out of this particular style.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

Come'on don't be a grump. JobbytheHong is awesome and that his style. 4000 likes on a video that is only two days old. I'm sure he would love your advice seeing as he has 105,000 subscribers and like 400,000 views on something like Mp-36.
    His Apollyon video back in the day still gives me grins.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bro, he is allowed to have his own opinions. Don't get so offended.

14. DinobotSludge

DinobotSludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...I "[really]" hate to say this; but after seeing the pre-production images of the other power master optimus; I hope this gets a KO upscale treatment later in the standard Optimus Prime colors at some point.... as this looks like the closer option for a MARVEL comics style Powermaster optimus mold. But its current scale wouldnt work for a MP shelf..... :( 

15. lbock

lbock Well-Known Member

Even if the scale worked for an MP shelf, I don't think the styling would. I think you'd be much better off with the Fanshobby one if blending with MP figures is the goal. I'm just happy that this figure turned out so well and think he looks great on my Cross Dimension shelf.

16. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover The Bob Bomber

News Credits:
    Has anyone 'shopped the power-ups pieces in Erebus colors yet? Kind of curious what that might look like

17. ShadowOfSilver

ShadowOfSilver Element 47

Ebay:
    Is there someone on this thread that speaks with MakeToys? It'd be nice to get some confirmation if Thunder Erebus is getting the Divinity upgrades that were just unveiled today.

18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This seriously NEEDS to happen!

19. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

Ebay:
    man i hope this gets the divinity upgrades too.

I've gone with Fans Hobby for my POMP as i'm primarily in for MP scale\style and i don't double dip across scales. Picked up this Erebus guy instead just because he's a great looking figure and something different.

20. hellex

hellex Well-Known Member

I would be really pissed if this does not get the God Bomber upgrade.