Minor/Repaint: Make your Alternators Sunstreaker more G1ish

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Alucard77, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Hey All,

The other day there was a thread about how to make Alt Sideswipe more G1ish. That worked great. In the same thread some posted a pic of how to make Sunstreaker more G1ish. He did not recall how it was done, so I looked at mine and came up with this tutorial. I initially thought it was a simple mistransformation, but it was actually more then then that. It involved some Radiconing.

This is actually really simple to do and does not effect the Transformation at all. Just a quick cut.

As you can see in the before shot of Sunstreak, the Wheel are to the side of the arms.

[​IMG]

This is what we are trying to do to those ugly turds. Notice that I took out Grimlock as I don't need him anymore to make the pic look good.

[​IMG]

If you tried to move the wheels forward, then the door would just become wings.

[​IMG]

That is because there is a little tab that keeps the doors from going back.

[​IMG]

So guess what were going to do. That's right boys and girls, we are going to Radicon that mofo.

If you have a dremel, this will most likely be very easy for you. If not, As long as you have pliers and a razor blade, this should be cake as well. I did not have a Dremel (gotta buy one), but so I went the Razor blade route.

- First clamp your razor blade with your pliers as you see here.

[​IMG]

- Get Mommy's and Daddy's permission and turn on the stove. Then heat up your blade.

- Now cut where you see I write cut. BE CAREFUL TO NOT INHALE FUMES. This may take a couple of cycles to get all the way through:

[​IMG]

When your done, it should look like this:

[​IMG]

All there is, is the Transformation.

1- Rotate the wheel forward. Then push the door back. YAY, it goes back!

[​IMG]

2- Now for the feet. This of course is optional. But I want to make him as G1 looking as possible. Rotate the feet around, then flip the tab up:

[​IMG]

Here is the G1 counterpart:
    [​IMG]

And here is the final product:

[​IMG]

I personally think they look a lot more alike now. Talk about shining a turd up. Makes you wonder why Has/Tak didn't just do this to start with.

Well, this ends my 1st Radicon post. Hope you enjoyed! If this is also posted here somewhere, I apologize. This is for the Semi Newbies.

Attached Files:

2. mr_soundwave

mr_soundwave operation: tidalwave

Nice!

Great tutorial, thanks! I just wish there was a way to improve sunstreaker's/sideswipes legs a bit more...they are too stiff bootish...oh well. Glad to see alt/bt love coming back :D 

3. MBS0110

MBS0110 Evil Autobot

Ebay:
    I like it. I'll give it a try.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The arm mod looks great. I can't say that I like the (optional) leg transformation, though. It doesn't look like an improvement to me, but I think that has more to do with how Takara designed the originally legs. It was just flawed to begin with. I think some actual modding would have to be done in order to make them look better.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Not too sure about the feet. They don't look, well, like feet. The wheel mod isn't bad, but it makes the arms look super skinny in comparrison. Then again the mould has pretty lackluster proportions anyhow.

6. jazz89

jazz89 i'm rockin' moon base 1.

nice work man. he looks great. glad you enjoyed my Sideswipe tutorial and glad you figured out the Sunstreaker one. they do look much better this way.

7. zodconvoy

zodconvoy Well-Known Member

The wheel mod I'll try but spinning the feet around looks like it forces his knees to be the wrong way to stand. Still, I like the arms!

Now if I could only remember how to get Sideswipe to have the hood chest...

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I'll admit that the legs suck pretty bad. The whole figure is kinda a turd. That is why I wrote the leg thing is optional. The only reason I did it is so it looked like the G1 toy.

BTW, it does not really effect how he stands if you do that. I do wish I had some better skills to do a better leg mod.

@Jazz89: Thanks for getting me off my ass to do the Sideswipe fix. After I did that, I figured, screw it, lets do this too.

9. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Damn! I recently fiddled with all my Alternators before putting them in storage! I wanna mod too!

10. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Nice Job Alucard!

11. jimsloth

jimsloth Well-Known Member

Here's how I modded my chest to make it more G1. I did it to my sunstreaker too, but he's also in storage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Is that a simple mistransformation or is that something more? You have me very curious.

13. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

That Wildrider looks great - I am also curious about how you managed to achieve that :D 

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The roof is cut in half there. The top half of the roof is adhered to the front windshield while the back half remains on the trunk.

I gotta agree with the others on the Sunstreaker feet, but the door/wheel mod is excellent!

15. Screamingjet

Screamingjet Well-Known Member

Nice mod!

16. meisterworks

meisterworks Well-Known Member

great mod and tutorial provided.

17. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Love it man.....love it.

I love it.....might do it some day. Yet I don't like the feet that much.....but I get the purpose behind it. I just like it alot.:)