Minor/Repaint: Make Tracks

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Victorysabre, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    UPDATE:

[​IMG]

Still waiting on those reprolabels, but I've done some work on him. Gave him a gun for starters. Also wings! They don't quite clear the ground in vehicle mode, so I do have to detach them for him to roll, but yes, he can be a flying car. Also chromed the grill, put red in the tail lights, yellow on his chest and gave him an Autobot symbol on the yellow. That whole bit was to try and capture the way his chest looked on the toon. So I think he's got a nice mix of cartoon and toy influences on him, with some originality required by trying to match the scheme onto the new mold.

Ok, waiting on some stickers for the hood flame, but for the most part, he's done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to decide if I want to paint the head and tail lights. If I do, it'll be more for breaking up the blue, and that won't be quite as needed once those flames are on.

[​IMG]

Bot mode was more or less left alone. I painted the tops of the legs black, his face red, and his helmet and upper chest white. Also silver chromed his blades and his exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm quite happy with him, and expect I'll be MORE happy with those stickers on him. Movie Sideswipe is a great figure and Tracks' colors work beutifully on him.

Attached Files:

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    This is who the Vette shoulda been the whole time!! I lurvezz him!:thumbs2: 

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I'd be sure to make a more modern "movie styled" flame pattern. I wouldn't go with yellow and red, maybe just black or a dark blue....

4. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    Thanks. And I agree. Between being a vette and several, admittedly minor, similarities in transformation scheme, he makes a much better Tracks than Sideswipe.

5. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    But then he wouldn't be the Tracks I love.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I prefer the 'vette as Sideswipe. More fitting than an older-style Corvette would've been. I like the metallic blue you used, and I echo F_R's statement on using a black flame deco. That would look killer. A little detail on the face instead of just all red would be better, too, and maybe adding red elsewhere so it doesn't look so out of place.

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Or silver and orange....:thumb 

8. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    a red syideswipe should be cool - painted by sabsabby

the idea is great the work is awesome, but i cry about the money you spend,his price is heavy currently

9. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    I always liked Tracks' red face. It's the only red he really has and it's very striking because of it. Especially surrounded by all that white.

That blue is one of my favorite paints. Testor's Blue Metal Flake.

10. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I would have to agree here. Although a red and yellow firebird-like/flame graphic on the hood of your 'Vette has kind of gone out of fashion, it just wouldn't be Tracks without it. I think you definitely need to keep the red/orange/yellow colors but maybe just not so opaque, maybe they have an airbrushed quality. (I don't know what I'm trying to describe either.) I guess just a modern take on flame graphics. As for the question on painting the lights, I think it is the little details like painted head and tail lights that really give a custom (and especially TF movie customs) that WOW factor. The lights don't have to take away a lot from/break up the current color scheme so much, the head lights could appear clear, where all you can see is the silver of the reflectors inside like on many sharp new car designs these days. The back lights definitely need to be red or something to break up the back, where you won't have the graphic right above it. In addition, imo, I think you need to also think about drybrushing the front grill and clear coating the windows to a dark tinted color because it is just too much blue right now. Just take what I said in to consideration, but if you don't do it then I know whatever you do will still look sick. Plus, after seeing yours, I'm totally doing this so I will see my vision (immediately inspired as soon as I saw yours, thanks!) eventually.:thumbs2: 

Oh, and the head looks so ridiculously good right now, leave it exactly how it is.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I like the colors.

12. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    So dry brush the grill like a silver chrome color? I could see that. Don't really want to change the windows to make them darker. Wish they were just clear, but oh well. As for the Flames, I ordered a Tracks repro labels set so I'm thinking/hoping the G1 flames will fit on this toy.

Thanks everyone for the CandC

13. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very nice. I also believe the vette should be Tracks in the movie, and might attempt this custom once I get the figure.

14. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I think the reprolables tracks sheet will look pretty good on him. I also forgot to ask, have you put any thought into giving Tracks his trademark wings too?

15. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

man, that looks so nice. Almost makes me want to pay the 30.00 to get this guy from ebay now. Nice work, can't wait to see the flames on the hood.

16. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    not really if you look at the price genzoa is selling em for on our boards they are cheaper than retail. he is selling swipe with sideways for 50 shipped ems from china so after u remove shipping its about 10 bucks a piece. but ive always loved tracks and i to said he should have been tracks instead of swipe but ol well still a cool looking dude.

17. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    Not sure how I'd manage that. For now, I position his "backpack" so the hood halves flare out like wings.

As for cost, yeah, I spent $50 shipped for him and Sideways. With deluxes around $13 retail now, I didn't feel too bad spending the extra to get him early.

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, most of the ROTF figures we've seen are already cheap. buy in bulk, save shipping. I'm now able to get most of them at retail price, plus shipping, but if I split shipping on 20 figures from china, it ends up being cheaper than gassing up my jeep and going to the store.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Does your inside source have a way of finding out what Animated toys are coming out?

20. roi

roi Active Member

nice repaint I agree with the others who said that the vette should of been tracks