Major problem with my Takara reissue Megs...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tehCal, Sep 3, 2007.

1. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

I need help in a big way and I'm not sure where to turn, or if this problem is common, so please forgive me if this issue is widespread.

I'm in Melbourne, Australia, and I just picked up an imported copy of Takara's reissue of Megatron, which is awesome but for one major issue: the plastic strip that holds his left leg to his body has been put in upside-down.

Anybody who is familiar with G1 Megs will know that the grip of the pistol splits and both halves folds forward (each on a strip of plastic with a hinge at either end) to become the legs. Well as one of the strips has been placed incorrectly during manufacturing, one leg won't fold all the way forward.

Effectively, this means he can't be fully transformed - $175 out the window unless this can be rectified.

The only way I can imagine doing this is pulling the whole figure apart, somehow turning the piece the right-way-up, and reassembling it. But I'm worried I won't be able to put it back together, or that it won't help (not sure how I would be able to get the hinge attached to the leg to come apart).

The other option I can think of is gouging out plastic from the trigger guard piece, which would allow the leg to move forwards far enough, though it would be damaging a good figure and also would not guarantee a perfect fit.

What do I do? Any ideas, suggestions?

You may have to copy and paste these URLs to your address bar to see the photos:

http://img.waffleimages.com/c36b5f8fb6a7fc8053b4225f2d14a903d73f41ec/pistol.jpg
    Looks fine, right...

http://img.waffleimages.com/3163f0636b0742c83a99480a87945c4b6a2e111c/right.jpg
    This is the right hip, you can see the plastic is designed so it will fold forward.

http://img.waffleimages.com/c22c84a3213a948e2daba961c9b6fcb581d82160/wrong.jpg
    Here, the piece is reversed, and as such it won't fold in too far; it gets blocked.

http://img.waffleimages.com/f5162afe0183e6667da9e5e013654ac12a9bd8f3/standing.jpg
    The end result: not a good pose! :( 

Please help!

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I believe the best solution is...

[​IMG]

3. tehCal

Sure, I'm just terrified that I won't be able to get it back together again.

I've never modified any of my TF's, see.

4. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There should be a pin or something that you could pop out, otherwise you would just have to take apart the figure. I would strongly discourage gouging the plastic. If you were to disassemble the figure, and were unable to get it back together, Im sure you would be able to find someone who would be able to help get him together, but IIRC, hes not that hard to put back together.

5. tehCal

Ok, with some guts and enginuity - fixed!

I ended up just unscrewing the trigger mechanism and popping off his legs; then I took apart his left thigh and simply flipped the piece of plastic over before re-assembling it all. Thankfully it was easier than I thought!

Still, getting that pressure spring in the trigger back together was a minor nightmare.

Thanks!

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I could have sworn it was a metal peice that connected the leg to the body. Man, I need to find my reissue Megs...

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Glad you got it fixed! G1 Megatron's not that complex once you actually bite the bullet and open him up; I dismantled my original a couple of years back to put Reprolabels on him.

8. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with Draven, sometimes you just have to be bold enough to do it. If it were a wrong part or something, I'd say return it, but it was fixable. No previous experience required. Look at it this way, if there's ever a problem like this with any figs you get in the future, you have the experience of doing a repair before, and won't be as intimidating. First time for everything! :) 

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That was so touching.

10. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

\

mine is metal, my KO has plastic though.

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Mine too. If this guys came with plastic parts, he may have been had for $175. Unfortunately, his links to pics give me a 404 error when I copy and paste them so I can't tell by looking.

12. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

same here.

I do recall another member thinking he got a takara book re-issue megs but it was replaced with the orange cap KO that had just came out. That one had some diecast, but there is the old early 90's KO that just had all plastic. I have/ had both, and unless you had a G1 megs, it's very easy to confuse the new KO, especially if the orange has been removed and the face painted.

13. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    If you refresh the page once the error appears it goes to the pic, did for me anyway.

14. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

either someone did some KO part swaping on this one, or Takara started using plastic for those parts, cuz it LOOKS legit from the rubsign, but need to see pics of the head. from thos pics, looks like it just could be the Orange cap KO with a rub sign....

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the bars that connect his legs to his body are plastic on at least the encore reissue. that's the only megatron I own, so I dunno about the other two reissues.

I HOPE he didnt spend $175 on a encore megatron.

EDIT: after looking at some galleries, TFC-06 Megatron has plastic parts there too.

16. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I didn't know the encore Megatron had plastic there. I have the TFC#06 Megatron and they are metal.

17. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    Mine's plastic too. That kind of surprised me since they're kind of crucial.... Maybe I should try getting my hands on metal ones...

18. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Nope, didn't happen for me.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Those bits are plastic on both my Microchange MC-13, and my original G1 Megatron. And they are both originals.

20. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

my tfc-06 is metal as well. mine is first wave. i wonder if there is a running change, and this is just being discovered now...