Major DC Comics character to come out of the closet

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Rodimus Prime, May 22, 2012.

1. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe they're finally going to have Sinestro come out and admit that he's gay for Hal. :rolleyes2 

Seriously, though, I'd imagine this will follow the same arc as what happened with the new Batwoman:

- DC issues press releases to everyone who'll listen announcing that they're going to have a new, gay, high-profile, gay character who is going to be high-profile and gay. Very, very gay.
    - The character will get a decent amount of exposure for awhile, but then fade into the background a bit once DC realizes that they don't have a clear long-term plan for the character after the initial "holy crap, this character is gay" hype blows over.
    - Someone with a clear idea what to do with the character will take the reins and give said character a decent level of popularity, but nothing spectacular (like Batwoman). Or...
    - The character disappears until it's time to kill someone during the next Crisis.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Come on Wonder Woman or Power Girl!

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Big money No whammies big money no whammies!

4. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I figure
    Dan Garrett, Golden Age Blue Beetle
    Atom (not sure which version)
    Lex Luthor
    Max Lord
    Obsidian (wait, he's already confirmed to be gay)
    Clayface

5. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

With my luck, it'll be Raven...

6. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...that would explain his creepy shrine of Superboy from his origin.

7. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I would like it to be a two-fer of Red Robin and Superboy. Their relationship was very, very close pre-new 52, and it would be one of the few relationships I could read and go "Huh, I can see that."

Alfred would be another strong pick because his personal history outside of the Wayne family is pretty sparse. But, a gay butler just screams Woodhouse from Archer.

Really, with James Robinson doing Earth-2, I'd put money down that it's E2 Batman or Wonder Woman. DC would never let them touch Superman, but it would be a big promo for the new E2 comic to have one of the "Big Three" come out. Plus, that way when they get push back from certain groups, DC can pull the "Don't worry, it's only in the alternate universe!"

8. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The sexual orientation of a comic book character matters to me as much as a real person's. So not at all.

This is just a marketing ploy. I wonder if their announcement isn't some lame play on words and their "iconic" character is Icon.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, considering that they're a) both dead, b) have already appeared, c) Wonder Woman isn't a man (and the new gay character has been confirmed to be male) and d) that Batman had a daughter (and presumably a cat-loving wife) I find that unlikely to be the case.

I think it may be helpful to list out the things we know about this character. Because I'm a mean person and want to take the fun out of wild mass speculation.

1. The character is male (so not Wonder Woman, not Donna Troy, not Power Girl, etc.)

2. The character has not appeared in the new 52 yet (so no Robin, no other Robin, no other other Robin, no other other other other Robin - remind me again why having two Batgirls would confuse people? - no Batman, no Superman, etc.)

3. The character is iconic, which implies that people who don't read comics will be at least passingly familiar with him (so no Vibe, no Elongated Man, no Matter-Eater Lad). Keep in mind, though, that DC's definition of "iconic" may be looser than the average person's. Didio and Johns may consider someone like Hourman or the Atom to be iconic, but most people wouldn't list them as huge cultural icons like Superman, Batman, or Flash.

4. In the old DC Universe the character was straight, which implies he was seen to at least date women.

Personally, my money is on Ryan Choi. He's male, he hasn't been seen in the New 52 but we do know that he will be appearing in the near future, he had dated women in the old DCU, and DC editorial totally thinks that the Atom is a major iconic character (in one form or another he's been in cartoons, he was in the aborted mid-90s JLI tv movie, etc.).

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

This. The only kind of character I'm interested in is a good, well-written one.

11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  12. Switchblade

News Credits:
    I'd be cool with that, at least if they find another way for Obsidian and Jade to exist. I was really pumped when Jade got brought back a couple of years ago and it's really sucked that she doesn't seem to exist anymore.

13. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

Well golden age Green Lantern did have a weakness for wood.

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Oh man... :lol 

15. Switchblade

News Credits:
    :lol  :lol  :lol 

Oh, that made my night. Thank you.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say its the guy from the Wonder Twins.

How about Two face. He flips a coin each day to decide what his orientation will be that day.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Not to mention Obsidian is already gay. It would be kind of silly to remove a gay character just so you can make a different character gay. This is DC though, so who knows what the hell they're thinking.

Really this sort of thing is one of the biggest problems I have with DC. They always insist on making a big spectacle of this type of stuff. It's like they're going "HEY GAY PEOPLE! LOOK! WE GOT MORE GAY! READ OUR BOOKS PLEASE!" It makes everything seem like a cheap publicity stunt, even when the writer never intended it to be.

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'm actually quite open to the Alfred suggestion made earlier, despite my fondness for pairing him with Leslie Thompkins.

Okay, this made my morning. :lolol 

19. Dome Zero

Dome Zero Every place reminds you of someplace else.

Aquaman isn't gay, but he does suffer from the same romantic abnormality as Troy McClure.

20. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good