Major Contradiction

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Spunky, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

In the "Darkness Rising" miniseries, Optimus stated that he fought alongside one he considered a brother. He seems to be referring to Megatron and stated that his ideals became corrupted by war. In the "Masters And Students" episode, Prime states that Megatron lost his way the day he chose to become a Decepticon. However, according to the last Season 1 episode, Megatron and Orion never fought side by side. Megatron was simply a mentor to him. And he never fought side by side with Orion after he received the Matrix and became Optimus. Rather they became sworn enemies. Also, by stating that Megatron chose to become a Decepticon, it is implying that the faction already existed before he became really evil and corrupted. But it seems as if, according to the last episode, Megatron FOUNDED the Decepticons. Are the first and last episodes really contradictory or is there an alternative explanation in which everything makes sense?

2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Maybe the fighting side by side bit was really a metaphor for the political battles they fought alongside each other. I believe what Optimus meant by Megatron losing his way and becoming a Decepticon is really about Megatron losing his path he originally meant to take and gave in the deception by his own pride hereby calling his group Decpepticons because he says it represents all of the deception that his enimies and even himself.

That's my two cents on it anyway.:2c: 

3. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    This is what I was gunna say lol. The two, you could say, were fighting to end the caste system originally side by side.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was thinking about this too, but remembered a flashback showing Cybertron at war, ablaze, when Optimus spoke about this.

The OP is correct, what was said before the show really got started and towards its end, don't line up just right. Seeing that the miniseries is directly connected to the show, it's really hard to overlook this.

5. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    I noticed that a while back, but just decided to ignore it.

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Maybe it was a flashback during the great war after Megatron turned his back on Optimus and his nobal intentions but I could be wrong.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

It is also possible they did fight together [though not necessairly in a War] before the start of the war when they fought for equal rights: remember in season 1's finale that Megatron quickly mentioned the Autobots as "their mortal enemies" and quickly proceeded to make the amnesiastic Optimus through a space bridge while batteling the Autobots, Orion didn't seem the least surprised by the concept of having mortal foes and Megatron fighting against them, subsquently it can be assumed they HAD some kind of physical enemy back in that day [maybe Cybertronian Fundamentalists who tried to kill them?].

8. Tikin

Tikin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe Optimus just wasn't being literal but was being metaphorical and simplifying things for the kids. He also says the war was fought primarily for energon when the main motivations were the caste system and Megatron's pride; energon only came later in the war.

It only shows Megatron and not Optimus, so its probably just showing the war after Megatron was corrupted.

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But Optimus is telling the store. That doesn't look too good for Megatron.

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Hmm. Perhaps they fought against the Quintessons? They are in the canon as adversaries of the Transformers before they were adversaries to each other. They basically defeated the Quintessons though and cast them off Cybertron. Orion and Megatron could've fought alongside one another during this conflict.

11. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where was it stated that the Quintessons were ruling? Besides, we already know Cybertron was at peace with Ratchet's retelling of events before the war started. Orion was no soldier, just a clerk, and Megatron a victorious gladiator with huge ambitions.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fighting side by side doesn't mean just shooting at people. He was refering to their political revolutionary jibber jabber.

13. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

So I'm the only one to think Orion's reaction in S1 Finale indicated he had fougth a physical enemy with Megatron before?

14. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don’t think the writers would be that cryptic in a children’s show.

15. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was mentioned but I let it slide. I just figured, I'll wait till season 2 or 3 for whole story between the Prime and Megatron.

16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have two ways I solve this conflict for my own personal fanon.

The first way is that the war against the old regime started before Optimus was named Prime. So I see Megatron and Orion fighting the ruling government. Then they went before the council and made their speeches. Optimus became a Prime and abolished what he had been fighting against. Megatron was power hungry and "betrayed" so he continued the fight just against a new figurehead.

The second way is to point and say plot hole. I could see the writers not being sure of the details when they wrote the first line. So by the time they wrote the second it didn't match up any more. It happens and it's not the end of the world. Sure I would prefer it not to be there but it's not as huge as pretending Starscream knew of and could produce Dark Energon on Cybertron only for him to see it for the very first time on Earth.

17. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  too true.

18. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    I know the IDW comics aren't canon but if similar events happened in this show's history they might explain that.

In the story Megatron Origins he starts out as an energon miner. He finds out his mine is being shut down and his fellow workers, who are barely functioning from lack of energon, are going to be put out of work while the politicians are hoarding all of the energon. He eventually finds work as a gladiator and begins formulating a plan of how to fix the flawed caste system, recruiting Starscream and Soundwave while he's at it.

It doesn't match up perfectly but the events are pretty dang similar to the point where they had to be taking some ideas from the comics. So basically the caste system was causing the energon shortages and Optimus might have just left out the corrupt senate part to not confuse the kids and make them distrust him.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not cryptic at all. He was telling kids they used to be pals, "fought together" can work pretty much any way. I guarantee you it's not children that are getting confused by this, if there WERE something to get confused over.

20. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not when you're given a visual aid showing war and Cybertron ablaze.