Magnet Joints (Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Here's an easy tutorial for how to add 'rare earth magnet' joints to your customs. I've tried several methods, and this has provided the most secure and stable technique.

Ingredients Needed:
    · apoxy glue (I recommend Super Glue plastic fusion)
    · dremel kit or a drill
    · 1 rare earth magnet (these are at most art/craft stores, or home depot. They cost about $4 for a 6 pack at michael's)
    · X-acto knife (or just the blade)
    · 1 small washer (the thinner the better)

To begin with, I disassembled movie Starscream's arms. The dremel bit seen in the pic below is perfect for this modification, because of it's composition, shape, and size. I need to get the hole in the should part LARGER than the magnet. Sure, sometimes a tight fit seems good, but we want a lot of adhesive between the magnet and the plastic.

[att]3344[/att]​

I dremel the hole larger using the special bit on my dremel. Afterwards, cut away any shards with my X-acto knife, to give a smoother surface. Loose shard and plastic will cause problems later on.

[att]3345[/att]​

Next, I take the rare earth magnet, and pick it up with the X-acto knife. (because it's a magnet, it latches right on) I take the magnet, and roll it in my 2-part apoxy glue, making sure to get a heaping generous amount around all the sides. From there, I place the blade over the hole I made, leaving it magnetized onto the blade. This is the cool part (sorta)...
    Because the blade's edge is flat, it keeps the magnet completely level in the hole. The blade holds it IN the hole and it will never be too deep in or sticking out at all.

[att]3346[/att]
    About 5 minutes later, I'll rip the blade off the magnet. The apoxy should be dry enough to keep the magnet in the hole. From here, I wait until the apoxy's completely dry and then sand down and excess of glue. On the other end of this joint, I will use a bit of apoxy to glue a standard washer onto the plastic.

[att]3347[/att]​

That's it, I hope this helps anyone aiming to do something like this. This is a very easy system to create custom joints. Although easy, it's only recommended for light stressed joints. It's also a nice way to make your transformer something where parts can come off easily (commissioner here wanted arms removable in jet mode)

[att]3348[/att]​

Attached Files:

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice tut, I always use magnets for just about all my joints, I would suggest buyiny them from gaussboys.com though they are super cheap and have so many sizes it is crazy.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Only reason I didn't mention gaussboys.com is because it took over 2 weeks to gey my order, and when you need that part, who want to wait?

I suppose I could order in bulk for future needs.

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got mine on a free shipping special and upgraded to 2 day delivery for cheap but really though people save a lot of money this way, plenty of other things to do to figures while you wait for magnets.

Edit* Just to check I put 75 magnets in my basket and went trough the check out and it would cost only $4.60 for 2-3 day Priority shipping. That would be cheap and fast.

5. Jaekwong

Jaekwong Well-Known Member

WOW great tutorial! could you possibly show an image of the washer u used. size. im having hard time of how small and how it fitted on the hands

but thanks frenzy!
    looking forward to your other tuts

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I typically use 3/8" washers, but your best bet is to take the magnet you're gonna use to home depot or hardware store, and match it up with a washer that is the same size, or slightly larger.

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Thanks, F_R, I needed this one.

8. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Cool tutorial. What did you use for Starscream's new forearm? Is that somebody's leg?

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    it is! stockade's lower leg ;) 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.