Magic: The Gathering decks - what do you use?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    About two years ago, my girlfriend (now fiance) got me into Magic: The Gathering. It took a while, but I've become really nerdinated with it. I usually like playing a pretty lax game - my fiance, friends and I play from 20 life points and try to stick to a 60-80 card deck per person. If questions about rules or who wins/loses a character come up, we usually flip a coin or just defer to the other person.

I use a Myr deck that I designed myself most of the time, as well as a Red & White Onslaught deck, a Green onslaught deck and a Blue onslaught deck. I also play with the Kamigawa (sp?) Samurai deck occasionally.

Talk about your decks and Magic right heyah!

2. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    A tip for beginners: always play with exactly 60 cards, and use a good distrubution of mana cost cards. Like 10 cards costing two, 6 costing three, 4 costing three and so on. I haven't played magic for years, but I used to love the "lock" decks - stasis, icy prison, and my favourite was that green card that lets you flip cards from your draw deck until you reveal a creature and play that.

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I was going to type something but I just hershey squirtted, brb

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    The meanest card I use is in my Myr Deck. It's called "Darksteel Forge" and allows makes all of my artifacts indestructible. Sure, it pretty much tilts the game in my direction, but it's a 9-mana card. It takes a looooong time to get it into play and it works great in conjunction with the Myr Matrix, which I can use to just generate myr over and over again.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I haven't played in a while, but my favourite 2 decks were a Broken Jar deck & a mono red Sligh deck. Cars that need a while to get into play? Better have a backup, you have maybe 3 turns at the most. ;) 

6. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

When I used to play so many years ago, I would use Blue or Blue/Green the most.

THink the deck I liked hte most was comprised of many Couterspell types, and High Damage Trample Greenys.

Once in a While I woudl use my Suicide White/Red deck using Armageddon a few times per game.

7. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I use a time machine back to 10 years ago to when I still played a Blue/Black deck.

8. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I'm on MTG: Online, but haven't logged in more than 6 months nor have I actually played someone for a looooooooooooong time.

I like using Red/Green/Gold Fires of Yavimaya, Blue/White Control, and Black/Green "The Rock." Recently, Mono red Land destruction coupled with Slogger seemed fun and Affinity with Mr. Ravager. Dunno what the heck to play now--maybe Blue Beacon combo deck might be worthwhile to play. Never really got into Kamigawa, but I love Ravnica block (but didn't buy alot of cards).

As for your Myr deck, I think Elves might wreck it.;) 

9. Shadow Convoy

Shadow Convoy Stealth Ops Commander

Ebay:
    wow i haven't played in ages...sinc emiddle school. i went burn deck/life gaining all the day but my friend likes to show off and use his rare cards like his mox's and stuff like that

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used to play a couple years ago. I still have my decks, some of my favorites are-

red/green/white- mostly sheer power, no tricks. lots of old dual lands, big/cheap critters (serras, shivans, a bunch of stuff from Apocalypse and around then)

the angel deck- themed to the point of nutiness, it was basically angels with 4x crusades, 4x the +1/+1 to white/artifact critters, and 4 of the golem that gives +1/+1 to a critter type.

red/black- same idea as the red/green/white, just different stuff.

I had a green speed deck with buttloads of elves, but it wasn't that much fun. Effective though. 3rd turn Force of Nature was though.

I almost had a Millstone deck at one point, just never had all the cards for it. The main problem was fending off creature attacks while the stones were churning away.

Also had a red/white/blue deck for a while, using some of the multicolors from Apoc. It was fun but I needed more dual lands for it to work properly.

I think there was an all-black deck at one point. Mostly involving Breeding Pits, Bad Moons, a Lord of the Pit, and Sengirs.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I thought, for a while, about putting together a Sliver deck, but their infrequency in most of the collector card stores around here, paired with the fact that they're all older cars, made me lose interest.

I haven't bought a Ravnica deck but I am curious about picking one up. I know there's a red/white Ravnica and I'm interested in seeing how that plays.

12. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Back when I played, my all time favorite was a goblin themed deck. I also enjoyed the old Necrodecks, Land Destruction, and a fun, fast red/blue deck. My most memorable deck was something I named "Rat Bomb" . The entire deck was black, I would find ways to ditch my creatures into the graveyard, then play songs of the damned a few times, summon some crypt rats, then use the excess mana from songs of the damned to activate the crypt rats' ability, killing everyone, including myself. If I wasn't going to win in multiplayer, no one was! :D 

13. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I've always stunk at M:TG to high heaven, but it's fun, so I don't care. I usually play with a blue/green deck, though I rarely play the game anymore. My personal favorite to use was the Vesuvian Doppleganger, though that's been banned for a loooong time...

14. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    White weenie or red direct damage for me. That's why I love all of the Boros (red & white guild) stuff in Ravnica.

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I played back in the olden days when we had cards like lightingbolt and stuff.

I had 3 decks:

1. Red/green/black "stoner" deck. It was all about basilisk, cocatrice and Medusa... Lure, Regenerate.. MUHAHAHAHAH. It was a sweet combo... Then throw in the 3 4th edition baddies: Force of nature, Lord of the Pit and shivan dragon. It was just a romp.

2. Sliver deck: I had all the original dual-color lands so it was better than with the burn or sacrifice dual colors. There was actually an infinite life combo if you got the queen, the half/mana cost, The 2 mana gen and the 2 life sacrifice sliver into play.

Sacrifice sliver to make 2 mana.
    Use 2 mana to make 2 slivers
    Sacrifice one sliver to make 2 life, other for 2 mana.

3. Goblin weenie decks. They were great with the old overpwoered fireball, ball lighting and thunderbolts. Add goblin recruiter and goblin mutant and it was fun stuff.

16. tarouza

tarouza Twin Twist's Daddy

i had a deck in mirrodin that took a lot of advantage of isocron sceptre that worked real well

17. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use an elf deck most of the time. With my 4 wellwishers, I usually get into the 200s of life. I got 60 cards in there, and my nastyest 3 would be 1 Darksteel Collosus 11/11 artifact creature, indestructable with trample, 1 card that I forgot the name of its green, but its a 8/8, costs 9 mana, but has a divinity counter on it, and when you remove the divinity counter, you can put as many creature cards from your hand into play, and about 4 wispersilk cloaks, they make target creature unblockable, which isnt a nice thing to do.

When I dont use my elf deck, I use my goblins. Ive been meaning to refine it lately, but dont have the funds. Oh well. :) 

18. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Star-Spangled Slaughter, a Invasion block deck that RBW. Heavy on Counterspells (like Counterspell and Absorb), direct damage spells (Urza's Rage), and killer creatures (Lighting Angel). The last tourney that Invasion was T2 legal I swept the feild. Taking out Tier 1's killer deck (the WG Mirari's Wake deck) was just beautiful.

My next fave was Black control during the Odyssey/Onslaught era. Nantuko Shades, Mutillate, Cabal Coffers, Chainer's Edicts... Black was totally killer back in the day.

My personal fave was MONGER (as in Spirtmonger). A very aggro BG deck. Using Pernicions Deed to clear the feild and Spirtmonger's broken power to finish them off. I tried unsucessfully to recreated that deck with Ravinca (it was too slow).