Digibash: magazine covers

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by mrfang2, Jan 18, 2010.

1. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    here is one example. if you want a magazine cover (no fembot playboy things!) just pm me and i will get it up!

Attached Files:

2. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Um, you kind of misspelled "Heroes".

3. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

*cough* Credit for original artists? (Quite sure that's not you who drew these...). Assuming you go for 'parody' with regards to copyright? =P

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed. If you're going to use others' artwork for your own, you need to credit those artists. Also, I'd suggest doing more to artwork than adding text to it, even if you're aim is to make a "cover". While I like your idea, I think you need to brush up on some tutorials on software that handles graphic design element manipulation as well (Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP, etc.). As it stands right now, it really looks like you've taken a piece of artwork and simply put text on top of it without really considering text as an artistic element in itself.

I hope that's helpful :) 

5. mrfang2

News Credits:
    Sorry, i thought it was an actual promo pic, hence no credit. Also i realized the misspelling after uploading it.

6. Quintesson #1

Promo or not, you used art, thus you credit someone. Even (if not especially) if it's copyrighted by Hasbro and you don't know the artist.

Keep in mind others don't know your 'creative process' so they'll automatically assume 100% ownership. That includes Hasbro lawyers. By the way.

7. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

Not to mention "arrive."

8. mrfang2

News Credits:
    stop corecting my spelling! i was tiered from school. also i wil try to find the arts owner and will edit my first post acordingly

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Art credit aside, this cover is a good try but seems a little rushed. First off, pay attention to where the text is placed. It looks like you're just worried about Rodimus's position on the cover and everyone else is just there. The "E" is covering Magnus's eyes and poor Blurr looks like he's being cropped out of a family photo. You may also try playing around with the text color, since it's blending into the figures. To help the text pop out, play around with the colors (namely the negative space). Also, it's not a good idea to have the text riding the cover border like it is.

It's easy to put one of these "magazine covers" together, but it takes some time and effort to make it look legit (that why people like photojournalists and editors have jobs). For reference next time, pay attention to great magazine covers like Time, Newsweek, Rolling Stone and yes even Playboy. They've got some great photographers and graphic designers that really know how to work with photography and text and turn magazine covers into a real art form.

10. mrfang2

News Credits:
    actualy, i did it in five minuts during digital graphic arts class, as a time waster since i fineshed my class work.

11. mrfang2

News Credits:
    i know, but i cant be cought doing a cover like that during school, now can i?

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, for a rushed job of 5 minutes, I think you've gotten some very valuable feedback on a lot of different things. You'd be greatly serviced by humbly taking the advice (not being defensive, for example), and see how to use it to better your artwork. Thanks for sharing your work :thumb 

13. mrfang2

News Credits:
    will do, i am working on a g1 predicons national geographic today, since my work is now done so i will have an hour to work on it

14. Quintesson #1

As far as people correcting your spelling goes, rather than gripe about it and excuse it, you should realise they're valid and helpful critiques. You can also NOT fix the texts, but pretty much everyone who sees it will think "meh... some kid who can't spell edited that", which isn't exactly your intention, is it?

As said before, seeing as your contribution to these posters lies primarily in the copying of a template for a magazine cover and adding some texts, you may want to make sure the texts are at the very least correct. As it's clear your grasp of the english language could be better, it may be wise to doublecheck your spelling and grammatica before posting your work. Either ask someone in your class, or use a dictionary. Proof or B├Ęta-reading is a common practice since everyone makes mistakes.

I'd advise using say Dictionary.com to see if you spelled properly, it also has a synonym list under Thesaurus.com which is handy if your vocabulary is limited, or you want to find a more suitable word for something.

Either way, if you don't fix things out of lazyness and excuse-ego-protection, then it's quite likely you'll be ridiculed or ignored since your work would be considered "a poor rush job" (which it was by your own admission). Art and editorial work takes time, allow yourself to spend time on something.

Afterall, least you can do in editorial works is make sure your part of the job is done right. Especially if you're using someone elses work, because otherwise you're bringing his, her or their work down with your lazyness or rushjob. If you know what I mean?

15. mrfang2

News Credits:
    my vocabulary is not limited, i just dont spell that well and i will fix that next time.

16. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not a bad first effort, but a little rushed - take more care with the spelling and it'll improve it no end. Hope this helps. :) 

17. RandyB2277

RandyB2277 Well-Known Member

I think this idea has allot of potential. Show us what it would be like if the Transformers where real and here, how they would be covered by the media. A couple ideas for covers I had, Optimus as Time magazines "man" of the year, Blaster on Rolling Stones, Wreck-Gar on TV Guide, and how they would handle Optimus' death.

18. mrfang2

News Credits:
    cool ideas, i will try to do them all, eventualy

19. Quintesson #1

Heh. A vocabulary is always more limited than if you use a thesaurus and dictionary to back you up. If you already don't spell that well, you can be sure it is more limited than you imagine. You just don't notice it because you never need to use words you don't know, or you make due with what you have. That's only natural. In short, you may not need it in conversation, but for writing you don't want to be using the same words all the time if you can avoid it. Only then ones vocabulary limitations show up.

It's up to you if you want to use the thesaurus as a tool to improve your writing, but if you've never taken a look at it, you won't realise just how useful it is for writers. Just be sure you don't ignore it because you don't want to admit you may not know everything.

20. mrfang2

News Credits:
    this is true