Maevel Universe or Legends?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by slugslinger2004, Aug 14, 2012.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    During the lulls in TF collecting when nothing new (or nothing I new I want) is out at retail, I try to venture out and try new lines. I've walked past these toys several times on the shelves but now want to take a closer look at them. Are there any that are worth picking up? For reference I really liked X-Men growing up and am familiar with a few other Marvel franchises but nothing really obscure.

Also which series has the better figures articulation, paint and sculpt wise?

Thanks and merge if necessary.

Ugh, could a Mod change the title as well? I can't seem to spell at all today...

2. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I collect both lines,although I'm more selective with the Marvel Legends because of the higher price.Overall the Legends are much nicer,but once again,you pay a higher price for them.Nothing against the Universe line because I love them also.

My new passion is trying to pick up the old Toy Biz Marvel Legends.That was a great line of figures.

3. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Legends are far superior in terms of quality.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, Toy Biz Marvel Legends are where it's at.

It's ironic, because Marvel was joined at the hip to Toy Biz for years, and for many years, everything Toy Biz made was a complete joke. But then the Marvel Legends line began and I couldn't believe it was the same company. Just hitting home run after home run. So of course, it wasn't long before Toy Biz lost the license, the line went to Hasbro, and Legends immediately went downhill.

For years, I used to wish Marvel would leave Toy Biz, and then when Toy Biz completely turned it around and was making the best Marvel toys ever produced before or since, THAT was the time Marvel decided to split. :rolleyes: 

5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the responses everyone! So if I do look into the Legends then the Toy Biz ones are the way to go?

What about selection? Which line has the most characters to choose from?

6. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I think the Toy Biz Marvel Legends are definitely the way to go.There is quite a large selection of figures that they made.Some of them you can still get fairly cheap,but there are some that can be a bit pricey.

7. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Marvel Legends is my favorite line because well their just cool.

8. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Marvel Universe has the better selection, because the smaller size and cheaper price enables Hasbro to churn out more of them. If you want key figures from Toy Biz Legends, you'd have to spend more because a lot of them are older and harder to find. Toy Biz made the better Legends figures for while, but Hasbro is trying to catch up. They had a bad period towards the end of the first line where they churned out a lot of crap figures, but have redeemed themselves with the relaunch. Nevertheless though, Legends is the better line even when you compare to Universe, more detail, better articulation, and better display pieces overall.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed dude! The initial Hasbro ML were terrible! Ultimate Wolverine, White Queen etc. The best figures ever produced started with the Onslaught wave!

We had gems like Loki, Abomination etc then we had the Face-Off packs which had the best Hulk and Capt America...

I also agree that MU has the better selection but ML is the way to go for me. It was the era when we finally had a consistent scale for Marvel and DC figures. Oh, I almost forgot SOTA Street Fighter also.

10. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I prefer the Legends line. I like to take DC/Marvel match ups and take pics. I have collected DCUC for 7 years and 2 months ago started with Marvel and have picked up some of the Grails of the line.