Mad Men

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Satomiblood, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

While Breaking Bad is on hiatus, I've decided to catch up on another AMC series via Netflix. I'm nearing the end of Season 3. I enjoy period pieces and this is no exception (prior to this, I was really into HBO's Boardwalk Empire). What are your thoughts on the show? Do you have any favorite scenes, episodes, or characters?

2. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Big fan of this show. It's a much more contemporary series than most dramas I watch such as Breaking Bad, but it has such grand storytelling. Each episode is kind of like a short story, all of which come together towards a similar theme at the end of a season. Season 5 is my favorite so far, although I think it may have to do with that being the first season I watched live. This show really benefits from watching one episode a week.

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Honestly, I did things the way you did (went through the first 4 seasons in quick succession) and I think with Mad Men, that's not the way it should be done. I think a lot of the shortcomings of the series were highlighted by viewing it that way, such as characters having changes of heart rather quickly, or confusing motivations for doing things.

Overall, I can't say I really understand why Mad Men gets the accolades that it does. Sure, there are interesting characters and from what I can tell, the period of time the show takes place in is expertly portrayed. But to me, there is really no conflict on the show. I mean, it's really a stretch to think that Don Draper faces any sort of hardship... handsome, successful, starts out married to a beautiful young wife, moves on to another beautiful young wife... it's hard to relate to a character like that.

I think the show suffers when it dips into the home life of Don and most of the other characters (Peggy excluded). The stuff at and involving the Agency is much more interesting. I felt the same way about the Sopranos... whenever it was featuring Meadow or AJ I lost interest really quick.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Yea, Don doesn't have to deal with too much when you compare him to someone like Walter White. Of course, both men are living two totally different lives in two totally different eras. I do find the Sterling-Cooper side of the coin much more interesting.

5. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I LOVE LOVE this show. Top notch acting, second only to Breaking Bad.

Fave Seasons: 1, 4, and 5. 2 and 3 were good, but not as good as the others.