Mad German Transformer comic covers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Blueshift, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Blueshift

Blueshift Well-Known Member

I've not seen these about anywhere, but I've been collecting cover images of some rather strange German Transformer comics. These seem to mostly reprint UK stories, but whoever drew the covers were on a lot of special drugs it seems.

[​IMG]

I've put all the ones I've found on my site below, any more information or more covers would be appreciated! And of course, people are free to take them for tfwiki.net!

Mad German Transformer Comics | Redshirt.co.uk

2. AMG

AMG Old School

That Galvatron is horrible. :lol 

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I agree, AMG. That Galvatron just looks absolutely horrible.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry, double post.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I love the Rock'em Sock'em Prime in the background. I admit, if I ever saw one of these issues for sale I wouldn't say no. XD

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Transformers after too much time in a beer garden?

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Awesomely bad! Thanks for sharing these. I particularly love the Soundwave Prime on issue 2. It trumps the garishly-colored Galvatron cover by a long shot. And Disco-dancing Galvatron on issue 13 made me spit my pudding snack all over my monitor.

And what's up with the even-worse-than-G2-toy color palette? "Mad" German, indeed!

Me neither. It's like fan art drawn and colored by someone missing both eyes. I must have this art from this mad genius.

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Geil, das kenn ich auch noch! :D 

[​IMG]

I think I had this one, that was possibly the issue where we see mainly Shockwave instead of Megatron and I think Smokescreens radio played "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen and there was this guy with the sunglasses his name was something with B in it, but it doesn't come to my mind right now... and later the boy finds Optimus Prime's head wired to cables and he gets electrocuted...

Hm hard to remember, long time ago! *gg*

9. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I just wanna know what or how "mad" is referring to unless those transformers are mad at each other which is true in TF world anyway. Truely horrible pic of Galvatron indeed.

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Those comics were released by Condor, instead of Panini, who release Marvel comics nowadays, they published comics differently from their original comics. For example Spider-Man, X-Men and so on were called "Die Spinne" and "Gruppe X" and had a smaller format and included several issues. I guess in the US comics are really thin? In Germany they were smaller books, but because of the size they did not translate everything well, because it would not fit in otherwise or could not be read, because of the font size.

And the Transformer comics came out in the late 80s, they were A4 in format but had that newer Transformers logo, while the cartoon that aired at the same time, had the original logo and only later when the Micromasters came out the toys beared the same newer logo. Because of that we kids considered the comics cheap knock-offs of the cartoon, because we did not know, that originally the comics were released earlier than the cartoon.

But in Germany many things were different :D 

Still to this day Marvel comics are released 1 or 2 years later than in the US, but they try to keep up and release often really thick comics with several releases, similar to Condor back in the 80s, which is sad, because they are so expensive I mostly don't buy them. They are often 12 to 19 Euros... and the normal comics including 3 to 4 US issues with up to 100 pages are round about 4 to 6 Euros, depending on page numbers.

11. RenegadeHoist

RenegadeHoist Renegade Commander

Pastel coloured Dinobots ftw!

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These covers are fascinating. As a comics-first fan, I'd love to see if the insides were straight reprints or (as sometimes happens here in the UK - "All Hail Megatron" reprint anyone?) various pages/issues are squashed together to make some sort of bizarre new random story.

Thanks for sharing!

13. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Those covers are amazing! I am confuddled by their consistent ability to be off-model and off-palette. And I love how Buster is on virtually all the covers.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno if it's sad or cool I recognise so many of the characters and their specific poses from panels within the normal comics. I really must've read those old comics a lot to look at these and go 'Yeah' that's been copied from so and so scene/character'.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I think they are reprints, as I've seen many panels I remember from the comics but with their equivalent english texts in some Wiki.

Ah here is the one scene I remember from the issue I posted
    [​IMG]

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Funny thing is, Galvatron never appeared in those early comics *g*

17. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Holy crap, could they find a color scheme and stick with it? I think my eyes are bleeding.

Great find, btw. Awesome in that MST3K-movie kind of way.

18. Blueshift

Several people have put up some inside scans on other forums and...

...prepare to have your mind blown...

They not only reprinted UK stories, but the b/w UK stories, coloured!

Coloured with the same loving care!

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4791/imgp2955.jpg

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Ah yes. The Condor comics.

Note how every single cover features random humans who don't actually appear inside the issue. Apparently the publisher thought that the comics wouldn't sell if they had no humans on the cover.

The publishing order is also insane. First Condor released a three-issue limited series named "Die Transformer", which reprinted the first four issues of the Marvel US title. Yes, four US issues squashed into three German issues.

Several years later, Condor launched an ongoing, which picked up where the limited series had left off: Starting with issues 5 and 6 of the US series. Then they spared their readers the rest of the first big story arc and jumped straight ahead to US issue 14. Continued from there onwards, then suddenly shoved the US stories into tiny pocketbooks and reprinted UK stories in the "main" series instead.

And then there were some special issues with totally random stories. Including colored versions of b/w UK issues... with the Micromaster Air Strike Patrol in insanely random colors.

The issues also contained "game/puzzle" pages for their target audience.

Here's a complete list of Transformers comics published by Condor:
    The Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators German Edition

20. Blueshift

Thanks Nevermore, that's brill info!