Macs may not be immuned after all

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MegaPrime33, Apr 23, 2009.

1. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MACs are not invincible. I use a MONSTER MAC at work every day and it's always crashing, even after the techs look at it and repair it, the next week something new happens. I have seen the MAC's version of the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH more times since I have worked here than my entire life with my PCs at home, and I edit video on those too.

I know this pertains to viruses, but who needs a virus when the machine crashes itself. It's like why shoot someone who's going to commit suicide?

3. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
  4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's just been a matter of time.
    The public thinks that a Microsoft OS is "weak" while a MAC OS is invulnerable.
    But the fact is that MACs, Linux, even Novell are generally just not targeted.
    (That is not to excuse some of the obvious security vulnerabilities Microsoft has allowed, like storing passwords as plain text.)

The article even starts out by stating what is public perception as fact:

But then contradicts itself with the next statement:
    So are they "known for their near-immunity" or are they just not targets?
    Those are two different concepts.

5. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

A computer catching a virus and/or crashing?! No fricken way! My faith is broken!

*Kills self*

*Spawning in 9....
    SYNTAX ERROT!*

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They don't need to target them, they do a great job on their own of not working. Sorry, I have lost collective hours of work because Final Cut Pro, After Effects or any number of programs just shut down for no reason (yes there is a reason, but since when is saving a project a reason).

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

this is news? wtf, all computers get viruses. even goddamn mobile phones can get them.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't say that, SmanG! (hugs his Iphone)

9. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I think the next wave of relevant virus-ware will target mobile phones.

(and OMG...the legal ramifications...I mean, you're f'ing with outer-space at that point...it's going to be SO interesting [I'm a total dork...fuck.])

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

It's not necessarily a huge news story, but its more of validation to me, and me telling off all of those Mac users who tell everyone to buy a mac when their PC gets infected.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I know a lot of Mac elitist snobs who think that their machines are immune to everything this side of Kryptonite.

And when their machines have the crashes that Windcharger spoke of they just act like nothing happened.

But if my Windows machine would hang on an application or something they would be the first to say something like "That's Windows for ya".

I in know way mean to say that either OS is better than the other, nor am I implying that all MAC users are elitist snobs. But I know a few who are. I know some Windows snobs, too.

12. smangerbot

i have a mac, but i don't think i'm a snob.

but windows is really really really poo! ner ner!

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Either that or they say, "user error." But I said, "Really, rendering a video that previously rendered just fine is user error?? What am I supposed to do, press CONTROL R politely?"

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I do agree Macs tend to be elitiest snobs. Just look at their ads. Douchebag acts like he is god's gift to home computers and PC is some poor dope who fails constantly and can't perform basic functions.

I do like the PC ads where they give a person $1500 to get a new computer. The Macs are out of the price range or too expensive and they find one for several hundred less in the PCs. (guess I'm a PC snob)

But like it was said the reason there are not many Mac viruses is because if you are going to do an attack, you want to get as many targets as possible. Like if it was a terrorist attack you'd pick some place like LA or NYC, not Smithville, ID population of 30 (including livestock). You go for the big numbers. Not worth spendign the time making the virus then only releasing it to attack 20% of the computers (just a guess on percent macs). You want to attack the 80% and do more damage.

All computers can freeze and fail. Having the Mac brand doesn't mean you are immune. It just means there are not enough of you people to bother trying to attack.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  15. smangerbot

way to be douchebags guys...

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You're dead to me.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong Smanggy. I seriously seriously seriously seriously have considered getting a macbook and Final Cut Pro for home editing after I pay off my VAIO, but as someone who is REALLY neutral to the MAC vs. PC war, I do notice MAC people attack PCs a lot more than I hear the opposite, and usually it only happens when they are defending the platform. Especially here at work. When they got rid of the PC AVID edit system here, everyone was talking like we were about to get the end all editing system, and I have lost a lot of work in front of clients that I never lost in front of them with my old AVID, but there were so many claims that the MACS were made for video editing and if you were editing on a PC then you weren't really a professional. It got really old, since I have used PCs all of my life prior and never felt the need to bash Macs.

So if there is ONE thing convincing me NOT to get one, it isn't the crashes, because my PC at home and After Effects has its share of it too, rather the snubby attitude that "some" people get when they own them, and they are only fueled by their ad campaigns.

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a Mac. I also have... let's see... about 4 or 5 PC's. I will say that in my opinion, the Mac has functioned batter. But no, I'm not a snob that thinks Mac's are immune. I wouldn't be able to understand how they would be.

And just so I don't get flamed, I am installing Windows on my Mac.

19. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

BURN THE HEATHEN! Let the fires of the righteous douse ye with justice!

Just kidding. Mac's are great machines, but they're still prone to failures just like any other machine built by man, except Skynet, that thing seemed to do it right.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Let's flame him guys!

Seriously, I've got nothing against Macs.
    I have a problem with a culture that says "You have the same thing as everyone else and I don't. Therefore I am smarter and mine is better."

I know a few people who run Linux on just about everything.
    When they get exposed to Windows issues they generally approach it with curiosity and interest.
    They want to understand the nature of the issue and the nature of the OS vulnerability.

Most Mac users I know just say "They should use a Mac".
    Or, they will spout out unsolicited benchmarks of a Macs superiority like how they can always connect to the wireless at Starbucks faster than their friends who have PCs.
    Seriously -does that matter.

Again, though, I think that is the culture more than the machine and I am not saying that all Mac users are losers -only Smang.