Macross Valkyrie Questions

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Kupp, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh god, I think I have a new hobby. I Haven't had any valks, unless you count G1 Jetfire.

I have some questions about the Yamato's, which seem to be the best line.

What do I need to know before I bite the bullet?

I really love the look of the 1/60 VF-19 and the VF-0A.

Now, I remember reading something about legs needing to be removed for the transformation. Was the the Yamatos? Is that the 1/48 or the 1/60 ones, and does that only pertain to the VF-1A, VF-1S and VF-1J or to these new models as well. Also, I remember there being older colored VF models.

Also what is the major difference between the VF-1S and the VF-1J, is it just the head?

Any information I could get from one of you knowledgeable types would be most appreciated. I am really somewhat confused about all the designations, VF-1a, VF-1S, and VF-1J, mostly because I haven't watched the anime yet.

I'll probally pick up one of the Bandai 1/55 Hikaru as well, simply because I miss my Jetfire and Image Anime has them for $50.

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Not an expert on the toys but it’s my understanding is the VF-1 line in the 1/60 size require the legs to be removed to transform but the VF-0 line doesn’t. If I’m incorrect I’ll be corrected.

Now if memory serves the VF-1A is the most common type and if flown by the rank and file. VF-1J is flown by squad leaders. The VF-1S is a unique model flown by a commanding officer.

Then you also saw the VF-1D, which was a 2 seat trainer and the vary rarely seen VF-1R. But for the most part the only real difference in them are the heads.

3. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok, cool, Thanks Buzzbeak.

Looks like a 1/48 VF-1A Max and a 1/60 VF-19 from yamato are a good place to start.

Now the VF-1S is what Jetfire was right? The one with the wrap arround visor.

The VF-1A has the uni-horn, the VF-1J has the forward only eye, with two horns on either side, the VF-1D has one horn on either side and a square eye. That right?

4. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

Thing you need to know: Save your pennies. Gorgeous as the Yamatos are, they're wicked expensive. I love 'em anyway.

The 1/48 line is most assuredly the best Valkyrie produced to date, has little to no diecast (just a few reinforcement points), and is perfect transformation. No parts-swapping. The older 1/60 line required the legs to be removed, but on the upside, they're small, pretty, cheaper, and metal.

The new YF-19 1/60 (which I think I'm in love with) will be WAY the hell bigger than the old 1/60 toys (it's a bigger plane, ergo a bigger toy). I think it's gonna run somewhere around $200, be as big (or bigger) than the 1/48 valks, and I'm pretty sure it too is perfect transformation. Even the original Yamato 1/72 is a good sized figure (around 8 inches in battroid mode), so the new one promises to be a monster.

There are some bullcrap make-believe technical differences between the different designations, but it comes down to the heads. The 1A is the "cannon fodder" valk, if you will. The 1S is the one G1 Jetfire was swiped from (the most traditional-looking robot head), the 1J was the main character's craft (with the funky-cool pentagonal eyepiece and the bunny-ear antennae).

All the others were seldom-seen recon planes and trainers, with the exception of the VF-1R, which was an animation error (some sleep-deprived animator screwed up and drew too many antennae) that somehow got made into a toy and video game character by Toynami and Robotech's distribution company. Yamato's never made one, and I kind of doubt they ever will, as they seem more dedicated to the canonical machines.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

The 1/60 scale Yamato VF-1 Valkyries require the legs to be removed. The 1/48 scale doesn't.

The main VF-1 designations are as follows:

VF-1A (one head laser) Used by main line pilots.
    VF-1J (two head lasers) Used by team leaders and squadron commanders.
    VF-1S (four head lasers) Used by Commanders of Air Groups and squadron commanders.

Whatever you decide on besure to check out the Macross World forums toy section (The forums are currently down due to hackers) FAQ. Lots of tips there to help you ensure that you take proper care for you Valkyries.

I'd highly reccomend 1/48 Yamato Valks. They're the Masterpieces of the Valkyie world IMO. I'd also reccomend the FAST packs for any VF-1 Valkyrie. It just really compliments the look (and helps it look more like Jetfire).

6. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    maybe someone can help me to i know nothing about maccross or yamato (don't even know what that is)

but at a convention recently i purchased a robotech masterpeice lancer made by toynami in a book style packaging, to be honest the toy is ok but the quality is quite shocking rather like the tf transformable titanium toys, is this normal?

can someone therefore give me a brief account of the lines , what i brought and what i should try and buy with links to it

sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Except for anything they think people will buy. Like the two different low-viz schemes which never appeared in canon. The Stealth scheme. The low-viz GBP armor. And I'm sure there will be more.

Not that there's anything at all wrong with that.

peeman, Toynami is known for having, shall we say, issues with their "Masterpiece" Robotech line. Some people get a good one, but it seems like that's a rarity, rather than the general rule.

As far as Yamato, it's tough to go wrong with them unless you buy a first production run, and even then it's just a matter of tolerances changing slightly through the first run and packaging changes (like the VF-0's first run being shipped with the tail-fins up, and the second run being shipped with the tail-fins down because there were some minor issues with bent and broken "tips" on the rear fin).

1/60th Yamato VF-1 - Legs must be removed to transform. A lot of diecast in the lower body.

1/48th Yamato VF-1 - Perfect transformation, including the heat shield sliding out of the chest and not needing to be removed in any mode. Mostly plastic, with the only die-cast being in the leg joint and a few other points that bear a lot of weight and/or movement during transformation.

1/72 Yamato line - older molds, some of which had some issues with the legs. I had a VF-11B with the bad leg joints, and while they contained some die-cast, you really needed to treat them with kid gloves to prevent breakage. I have Transformers purchased in 1984 without so much as a paint scratch, my VF-11B bought in 2002 has both legs busted off.

1/55 Bandai - The same mold as Jetfire except that the us release had a very slightly rounded off nose and the Bandai release retains the old Japanese style sharp-snout.

The 1/60 and 1/48 Yamato and the 1/55 Bandai have many accesory packs available, though the Yamatos are more readily available at the current time. Bandai has the Fast Packs/Super/Strike parts out there, and a very old GBP armor kit available but MUCHO EXPENSIVE if you ever find it. Yamato has Super/Strike/Fast Packs available in both original (1/48, 1/60) and stealth schemes (1/48), and GBP armor available in both original (1/48, 1/60) and low-vis camo (1/48) schemes. I'm not super knowledgeable about Toynamis other than to say the lower body on the VF-1 series is not posable at all, and their quality is suspect, which was enough for me to not ever purchase one.

See pictures for reference:

Yamato 1/48 VF-1J Base Unit:
    [​IMG]

1/48 VF-1J With Super Fast Packs:
    [​IMG]

1/48 VF-1J With Strike Fast Packs:
    [​IMG]

1/48 VF-1J With GBP Armor:
    [​IMG]

I would take pictures of my 1/60th Yamatos to add to it, but they look very similar in pictures. The 1/48 has slightly better proportions, but I added these pictures more so you knew what I meant when I said, "Super, Strike, GBP Armor" than anything else.

Any other questions, give a shout out. There's a lot of Macross experts around here, both toy-wise, and fiction wise. And none of us hestitate to say much more than what's called for when we're asked a question about it.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I'm certainty not an expert of Macross toys like TenScaryMonkeys but I do agree that Yamato produces the best Macross jets in the market and they can be very addictive! Unfortunately, they can hit one's wallet in a very bad way! LOL!

IMO most Macross fans avoid buying Toynami's Valks because of the QC. Other than the packaging, the quality of the toys are poor. If anyone wants to collect Valks...Yamato is the way to go.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

There are two types of Yamato Fast packs out there, TV style and Do You Remember Love? style. The regular TV style Fast Packs are only avaliable with the Super VF-1J Hikaru set. The Super VF-1J Max and Millia sets both come with TV Fast packs but they're in colours matching the Valkyrie. The TV Fast Packs that come with the Super VF-1J Hikaru is more of a greyish-green than blusih-green of the DYRL? Fast packs. It does not include the Strike Cannon and the arm armour is slightly remolded at the front.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Which part are you referring to? The shield that covers the cockpit window in robot mode? I'm looking at the pictures and trying to see how thats possible.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Yes he is reffering to that. And it is possible. It just shows you how genius the transformation on these Valks are.

13. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

That looks great! Too bad I don't have the money for these too.

Is that armor design new or could this have been based on it?

[​IMG]

14. GogDog

News Credits:
    Thats awesome! I have been looking into getting a 1/48 Yamato Valk for some months now, and this makes it even better. Can someone explain where and how the shield deploys?

15. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Keep min mind that this is post is made having not read the other posts (got off a plane earlier today and I'm a little woozy, sorry guys)

Anyway, here's the long and short of it.

The different designations such as VF-1A and VF-1S refer to the head sculpts. The bodies are exactly the same, it's just a different head, and a different paint job.

Bandai 1/55 - virtually the same as Jetfire

Yamato 1/60 - this line should be distinguished between the two types of 1/60 toys Yamato has produced. The old 1/60 VF-1 series isn't all that great, it's the one where you have to remove the legs in order to transform. The new 1/60 figures include the VF-0 (such as the VF-0A and VF-0S) and the upcoming YF-19. These new designs use a very similar construction type to the 1/48 scale figures. They are virtually the same as the 1/48 figures, except they're done in a 1/60 scale. (simply put: 1/60 VF-1 bad, 1/60 VF-0 and YF-19 good)

Yamato 1/48 - only the VF-1 was made in this scale, so you can get the VF-1A, VF-1J, and VF-1S headsculpts. Simply put, they are AMAZING. I really love them so much I bought nine of them. They're worth every penny if you ask me.

As far as toynami goes, from what I've heard it should be avoided like the plague. If you want a real class-act of a toy, go for a 1/48 VF-1 or a 1/60 VF-0.

16. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The VF-1D dose have a longer canopy to accommodate the instructor seat. If it wasn’t for the ugly paint job I would really like the 1D, I like the two seat look.

*edit* Actually just looking at some pics I found it looks like (at lest on the 1/60) the canopy is the same length. I could have sworn I had seen the canopy elongated on the 1D before.

17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

It probably is based on the same design, as the armor showed up in one episode of Macross, and consequently, in one episode of Robotech.

In Fighter and Gerwalk modes, the heat sheild is up in what becomes the chest in Battroid (robot) mode. It slides down into the body just slightly, then pushes back behind the cockpit as the cockpit slides back down and away from the body. It's pure genius and looks outstanding coming out and going back in once you get your transformations down. Which, I must admit, is no easy feat that first time or two. But that's OK if you like complicated transformations. And, if you're a fan of the VF-1, you most likely do enjoy complicated transformations.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

So just out of curiosity, which nine do you have? If you have Max and Millia I'll kill you.

19. GogDog

News Credits:
    I think I have my heart set on a Stealth-Type with super parts pack.

20. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Good call, the VF-1J super stealth is a really kickass paint.

Nah, I don't hae Max and Millia. I've got:

VF-1S Roy x2
    VF-1S Hikaru x2
    VF-1J Hikaru super
    VF-1J Hikaru
    VF-1J Stealth super
    VF-1J Stealth
    VF-1A Cannon Fodder

Plus two extra sets of fastpacks to go with them. My babies!