Macross Valkyrie help

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Apeface, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Apeface

Apeface cares not for gophers

I've been itching to get myself a Valkyrie, but I'm not sure which to get with all the options out there. Should I go for a Bandai or Yamato one and which scale is best?

2. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bandai 1/55 is pretty much guaranteed to please and are virtually problem-free with top-notch QC. It's the mold G1 Jetfire is based on, if that means anything to you. For a toy from the early 80's it's very nicely articulated. And they are toys with a capital T. You could throw one of these out the window of a moving car and it would probably only suffer some scratches.

Yamato's 1/48 valks are unquestionably the prettiest of all, in all modes. However, they are more prone to QC problems and are just simply more fragile. They're also very, very expensive which can be frustrating for something so breakable. I love the Yammies, and they're my favorite to look at and examine, but they always yell "no touchy!" at me.

There are also the Toynami Masterpieces, Toynami 1/100's and others, but none are quite in the league of Yamato and Bandai.

If you're careful with your stuff and your toys don't see a lot of action, the Yamatos should be a fine choice. If you want a classic that is not as pretty but still a wonderful toy and wont hurt your wallet too badly, go for the Bandai. If you've got a really small budget and don't mind a little guy, go for the Toynami 1/100 valks which are surprisingly well made and look nice in all modes.

If you're a crazy Macross nut job who should watch his spending a little closer, like me, get them all.

3. 04GHOST

04GHOST Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yamato. Definitly the best on the market in my opinion. I have 4 of the 1/48 and they are awesome (VF-1J with GBP armor, VF-1S, 2 VF-1A's all with fast packs). Very detaliled and pretty posable. Only bad thing is that they are kind of pricey and a little fragile as stated before. They are great for display though. The Yamato 1/60 YF-19 is next on my list.

The Toynami Mastepieces are nice too but not near the Yamatos IMO. I just keep the Masterpieces in their "books".

4. Apeface

Apeface cares not for gophers

How big are the 1/48 scale ones? Are the 1/60 ones good too?

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with you on the review of the Bandai, Yamato and Toynami Valks...

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Had the VF-1J Super Max (1/48) and a Bandai Elint Seeker (?), but I sold them both to buy the new YF-19 instead. A much, much better figure imo.

8. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I owned a 1/60th VF-1A Yammie (Hikaru's from "Do You Remember Love?"), along with the 1/60th scale GBP armor set. I thought it was a great figure, but my only qualm about the figure was that you had to remove the legs from the figure and place them in their respective postition in Battroid mode... For some reason that bugged me...

Then I picked up a G1 Jetfire, fell in love with him and sold off the other (more expensive) one... So, my experience says "Go with the Bandai figure"... but take that with a grain of salt... I know people who have 1/48th scale Yammies and won't go back after owning one of them... They were just a little too pricey in my opinion though...

9. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

I got two Bandai VF-1s, and a Toynami masterpiece.
    The masterpieces are pretty and quite durable. Bandai is definately a great old school toy that Jetfire's based on.

I can't wait to one day pick up a Jetfire.
    erm, I'm in love with the Yamatos for their beauty...especially the YF-19.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whatever the choice...avoid the Masterpiece one...I have all 3 versions of the VF1-S from Bandai, Toynami and Yamato - all 3 are in storage somewhere in my house, if not I would take comparison pictures.