Macross movie?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by tony77tony77, Mar 12, 2009.

1. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

what is the best Macross movie on dvd? I don't know anything about Macross but I would like to check it out.

2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    If your looking to get into the Macross universe I would highly recommend Macross Plus as it's relatively short and straightforward as well as just generally awesome and action packed.

3. turbovf1s

turbovf1s Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    well m+ is cool as hell. macross zero is the shit. macross II lovers again is a cool one, although not quite in the macross universe but close. and some sweet ass valks there too. megazone 23 is supposed to be macross related and in it you get to see the garland. go to robotech.com, they got all kinds of the american macross stuff.

4. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

DYR......oh wait.

Damn you Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko!!!

5. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    :cry :cry :cry 

I WANT DYRL?!!!:( 

*ahem*

I second the suggestion of Macross Plus. The OVA series, rather than the movie, though. Both are good, and about the same length (series is only 4 episodes) but the movie just didn't seem as good to me.

Also, might as well pick up the original series that started it all, Super Dimension Fortress Macross... it's only 36 episodes, you could watch that in one day! Come on!

6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nothing really happens in Macross Plus. Sure the animation is great, no argument there, but after watching it, I felt...empty, dissatisfied.

Spoilers below:

It is basically about two test pilots who were once good friends but became sworn enemies because they both fell in love with the same girl. Nothing came of it, and one of them held a grudge, leading to them beating each other constantly. Both ended up on the same planet to test two different prototype Valkyries to determine which one will be a worthy replacement of the current aging ones.

It goes on and on between these two, mainly. The sub-plot is about this super-advanced AI system that is this super-popular pop singer. Yeah...it's like that.... There is a concert where they plug the AI into a rebuilt SDF (a giant space ship that can transform into a robot), and the AI gains control over it. And guess who gets taken hostage? The girl the two guys love. She, IIRC, is the "manager" of this AI pop singer. One of them rushes to save her, the other rushes to kick his ass in a dog fight. All of a sudden, they realize they shouldn't be fighting, and work together to stop the AI from killing people. One of them sacrifices himself to save the day, and the other falls back in love with said girl, and they both cherish his memory forever. It's more of a love story than the original Macross.

That's pretty much the bare gist of it. Nothing really spectacular about it. I was rather disappointed. If you're looking for more action and battles, Macross II may be a better choice. The Valkyries are very cool, and the animation is just as good I think. If you don't mind going retro, check out the ROBOTECH series or see if you can get our hands on an the first Macross.

7. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I feel the same. I love watching M+ for the music, visuals and valk pron, but the story does nothing for me and I have a fairly solid dislike of all the characters. That hasn't stopped me from watching it three times. I've listened to the soundtrack more than I've watched the movie if that tells you anything.

Macross Zero...again, I love the visuals, the music and valk pron, and I even like all of the characters, but I need to be high to appreciate the story. Or "story".

SDF Macross & DYRL? are excellent all around. I lump them together because DYRL is just a retelling of the series. Lots of action & suspense, great mech designs, great characters that I really cared about shortly into the series. The love-triangle story is a bit soap-operaish, but I still found myself interested in how it would pan out. I tend to prefer the series to DYRL, but that's not to say DYRL isn't great.

Macross Frontier is far and away my favorite at the moment. I'm still three episodes from finishing it (I've been watching it very slowly to savor it!) but it's been simply fantastic all the way through. While a lot of the elements, story and characters are heavily borrowed from previous Macross entries, it works on its own just fine. I'm very much looking forward to the movie this year.

Macross II...it's fine. I have absolutely no "but it's not official!!" snobbery, but I still don't really like it that much. The valks are great (the VF2SS is something I deeply desire in toy form) and the animation is good, but something about it just doesn't do it for me. Maybe its because I don't like the music. One word of advice, if bad English dubs bother you then DO NOT listen to this one dubbed. Oh my lord it's aweful. It's so bad I'm convinced the voice actors are reading their lines poorly on purpose.

Macross 7 is the one I've never seen. I just keep forgetting about if for some reason. It's funny because it's the biggest series of them all, with more episodes than all the others. I was afraid of it for a while because so many people seem to harbor such a passionate hatred for it, but I'm past that now. I'd love to see it but haven't taken the time to download or buy a boot of it yet. The only thing that sucks is I've heard so many fans bitch about Basara that I feel like I've been programmed to dislike the character. Then again, I'm the last person on earth who still loves Jar Jar Binks....

8. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

thanks guys!! I will look it up.

9. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Macross Frontier...while I haven't finished the series yet (about half way through)...it's been awesome.

Otherwise, either Macross Plus or Zero and you're good. The Macross franchise as a whole is great, but these three particular series are my personal favorites.

10. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I agree with what is said above the M+ is great. But if you want to sink your teeth in something good go with DYRL or the orginal series

Also Megazone 23 has nothing to do with Macross. They did you parts of the first movie for a robotech movie that was not released. But they are tied to together at any time.

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with M+ or DYRL. M+ is 4 episodes, and doesn't require any background information. DYRL is a 2-hour movie, but you'll probably locate the Ark of the Covenant before you find a clear-image DVD version of DYRL with grammatically-correct English subtitles.

Neither M+ nor DYRL will require a serious time commitment. Consider either of them a good "gateway" into the Macross universe, and it probably doesn't get any better than those two. I prefer M+ because it has a self-contained story. It doesn't really "CHANGE THE MACROSS UNIVERSE FOREVER!" but that's what I like about it. When you remove the silly politics, galaxy-spanning epic wars, and alien societal drama, you end up with a very close, personal story about two fascinating ADULT characters (not androgynous teens) who reaaaaaaaally hate each other. I honestly feel that M+ has more emotion and rivalry in 4 episodes than the entirety of the 36 episodes of SDF Macross.

Be warned, not all Macross is good.

The original series is really good if you're into classic anime. If you're into the newer stuff, with CGI, rock music, people screaming their attacks, etc, then forget it. The animation has not aged well, and although much of the story was cutting-edge at the time, they began many anime cliches. Watching SDF Macross today would be like reliving a thousand cliches that weren't really cliches 30 years ago. It's like watching Gundam (1979), 80s Knight Rider, or G1 Transformers; you're either into the cheese, or you won't get it. If you don't like the idea of (AWESOME) sci-fi cliches and soap opera amidst some (comparatively) cruddy animation, sitting through 36 episodes might be asking too much. Personally, I think it's AWESOME, but you might be disappointed if you watch SDF Macross expecting it to be Gundam 0083.

M2 gets a really bad rap, but the haters are too biased. Macross fans are really loyal to the source material. M2 was made without the consent of the original creators, and the fans immediately hated it. Don't buy into the hate. For better or worse, M2 is an exciting, 6-episode ripoff of DYRL. Same plot twists, same love triangle, hell, same plot. GORGEOUS animation (at times), GORGEOUS mecha design, and nowhere near as bad as people would lead you to believe.

I really hated M7. Don't watch it. I know people like it, and I will let them defend it, but my recommendation is to avoid it. The main character is some kind of pacifist who butts into battles and asks both sides to stop firing at each other. He then sings ANNOYING rock songs in order to pacify both sides of the battle. As the series progresses, he arms himself with guns that fire speakers, there's a hideous pink girl-mecha (complete with boobs that transform into speakers), he fights increasingly-ridiculous alien creatures, and a whole bunch of STUPID stuff happens including a CREEPY pedophile romance plot. A moron like this should get shot during his very first battle, yet he's our hero. I really hate the character, I hate the supporting characters, and I hate the story. My favorite scene in the entire ordeal is when a soldier is forced to put on headphones and listen to a song by our main character. The soldier squirms in his chair and screams like he's being tortured. I do the same thing when I hear one of M7's awful rock songs.

I liked the first 2 episodes of M0, and I hated the last 3 episodes. Everything I hated about M7 was magnified in M0's second half. The trailers make it seem like an action series like M+, but it's some kind of Captain Planet ripoff with brief cameos from some cool robot-planes. Even the cool parts (the mecha fighting) were all the same: blink-and-you-miss it fights where the jets transform and zip around the screen like the DVD is on fast-forward. It's cool the first few times, but all the "fights" look the same. It's just dots chasing each other around the screen until one of them explodes. Forget about the awesome hand-to-hand fights of M+ and DYRL. Worst. End Battle. EVER. The final episode makes NO damn sense whatsoever.

I really can't judge Macross F. I saw one episode. I liked it, but I didn't enjoy it enough to watch the second episode. Seems to be a quality series, though.

My 2 cents.