Macross Model Question

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Evan Goldsborough, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

http://gundamstoreandmore.com/macvalmodkit.html

Very simple question: do these models transform? From the looks of things, they don't, and I'd rather not blow money.....even the small amount they're asking for.....if they don't transform.

If they don't, where could I be finding a relatively cheap Macross veritech that DOES transform? (Aside from Classics Jetfire :wink:  )

J-type or S-type preferred.

2. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Hasegawa kits don't transform. They don't come pre-colored or snapfit like Gundam kits, either. But they are very pretty models. They've actually released some kits to be built in Battroid mode instead of Fighter, but mostly they focus on Fighter - they were in the model airplane business long before they got into Macross.

The Banpresto Valkyries are quite cheap, but they're also small and fragile. Happywell puts out a Valk knockoff that's apparently not too bad in quality. And there's Toynami's 1/100 Valks.

3. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Well, I'm somewhat reluctant to buy knock-off anythings, but I'm still interested. Where could I be getting more info on this?

The Toynami ones interest me somewhat, but wouldn't a 1/100 scale Veritech be rather small?

4. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Here me and hear me well young Padawan. Stay away from the Toynami Macross figures. My info tells me that quality control is poor (although there are a few people out there who claim to have never had a problem.

If you're looking for Macross I highly recommend the Yamato 1/48 VF-1 figures. Expensive as hell but totally worth the money in every way, shape, and, form. I also recommend the Yamato 1/60 VF-0 figures and the 1/60 YF-19. I wouldn't go into the 1/60 VF-1 figures though... they're the black sheep of the family. The 1/48 VF-1, 1/60 VF-0, and 1/60 YF-19 all use a superior construction style for perfect transformation (meaning you don't have to take parts off to transform it, unlike the 1/60 VF-1. So, in summary

Yamato 1/48 VF-1 = :rock 
    Yamato 1/60 VF-0 = :rock 
    Yamato 1/60 YF-19 = :rock 
    Yamato 1/60 VF-1 = :( 
    Toynami 1/100 VF-1 = :cry 

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Around 8 x 6" in Fighter mode and about 6" tall in Battroid.

The Macross 1/100s are fine aside from the crappy stand sockets in the first wave, its the Robotech Masterpiece Collection that needs to be avoided like the black death.

6. CdnShockwave

1/48 Yammies are still the shiz :p 

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I won't argue with that, but I gather from his posts that the dude isn't looking to spend $150-200 on a single toy.

8. CdnShockwave

True. They're expensive as hell. But in my personal experience it doesn't pay off to go with anything else. Tried the 1/60 YF-1's and wasn't really satisfied, also tried Bandai 1/55, but once you've tasted the sweetness of a 1/48 there's just no going back. If I had to choose between any valks I wanted except Yammies and no valks at all, I'd go with no valks at all. And then quickly slip into severe withdrawl because I couldn't get my Yammy fix.

9. evrdazed

evrdazed Well-Known Member

yes, the socket is quite crappy. Mine cracked in the first month. I did contact Toynami, and they are sending me an upgraded version (of the socket) other then that, the toy is well worth the $20.