Macross Frontier - TV Series (2008) and Movies (2009 and 2010)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by pinoy78, Feb 5, 2007.

1. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

It'd be nice to celebrate the 25th Anniversary with something new.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Sounds interesting, althougth i'll probably be dead by the time Big West and Tatsunoko finish arguing over distribution rights.

3. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

While there are no firm detalis about this, it would be awesome to have a new Macross series. If there is one I would love to see the adventures of Megaroad 1.

4. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Ooooooooooo! Me want! Macross Zero was/ still is my favourite.

5. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

....didnt we get macross zero recently?

but Ill not complain.

6. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard about this a while back but whoever told me said it wasn't supposed to be known yet. I guess the cat is out of the bag now.

7. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Macross Zero was in 2002 during the 20th Anniversary.

8. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Too bad Macross Zero still hasn't been brought over. If it is a new show, I hope they do a good job.

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Would be nice to get another Macross series, something more then an OAV would be nice but I guess that's asking to much.

No kidding eh.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

As far as the Japanese courts are concerned, that's been permanently straightened out. Tatsunoko holds no legal rights to any derivative works or sequels to Macross. If they want a release outside Japan, they've still got to convince Harmony Gold of that, but that's a different story entirely.

11. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Dude, torrents. I downloaded the thing in 2 days.

12. flamepanther

Yeah, but it would be nice to have an official widely-released DVD with subtitles and maybe a dub for the more casual fans.

13. RabidYak

When did that happen? IIRC the two rulings a few years ago settled SDF, but I wasent aware that there had been another since then covering derivitives.

If that is the case then it wouldent be too hard to deal with HG in courts since TP wouldent have had the rights to give in the first place. They would just have to get paid off for use of the Macross name, which can be lumbered on the licencee.

Unless BW have still got the arse about the whole thing and would rather not have the money then let HG have a share out of the distributers cut.

14. flamepanther

Those rulings determined that TP owned the completed footage to SDF, but that Big West and Studio Nue own the story, characters, and mecha. Any derivative works would be based on the latter, not the former.
    Harmony Gold has said in the past that Japanese court rulings do not affect them. :sly: 
    This may also be the case. Honestly, if I were in their place, that's the position I'd take. Why let someone with no claim to your product hijack part of your profits?

15. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Oh I've seen it, I just want a nice dvd set.

16. RabidYak

Did the courts ever actually rule on who gets the non-Japanese distribution of derivatives thougth? I seem to recall that TP was claiming that the distribution part of the original agreement applied to future Macross works as well, but that doesent seem to have been adressed beyond the fact that they can't make the new stuff themselves because they don't own the IP.

I would have thought that it would be a bit tenous for the courts not to specifically adress that considering the sheer amount of litigation and contract wrangling involved.

What I find particularly amusing about all this is that neither BW or HG seem to make any effort at all to resolve it. You'd think that BW would drag HG througth the courts if they didn't have any ground to stand on, or that HG would licence the stuff from BW themselves if they did. Instead they just seem to sit around waving fingers at each other.

17. flamepanther

I don't recall TP ever trying to squeeze money out of BW over Western releases of Macross Plus or Macross II, even though HG has managed to do so on at least one occasion. Even if they did, I think trying to claim foreign rights to something you never had any ownership of at all would make a very short case.
    They may both be worried that the litigation involved would cost more than they'd get from sales if they won.

18. RabidYak

Might have been getting my wires crossed then.

Could be the case, maybe it'll be worth it in another couple of series time if it doesent get sorted.

On the bright side, we'll probably see Zero and this possible new series on DVD well before Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

19. flamepanther

Could be. It seems to me like BW has been paranoid about TP, and TP was just defending themselves. HG are the real bastards about it, and their relationship to TP is probably what puts BW on edge about TP themselves.
    I really hope so. As it is, Macross Zero is the only thing they'd get out of it. Macross Plus and Macross II are already out in the US (dunno about other regions) and the licensing costs for the music in Macross 7 and Dynamite 7 would supposedly be prohibitive. Some will call me selfish, but when Shadow Chronicles comes out, I also hope BW successfully sues HG for making an unauthorized sequel to Macross.
    Yeah, as long as they still want... what was it, $2000 USD for a boxed set? Good luck with that. Awesome series though.

20. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I'd always wondered if, since we got the new dub for the original series, if we'd finally get dubs for all the other Macross stuff, or at least a domestic release.

But reading this thread and about the legal issues, I'm guessing no. Bummer. :(