"Macross: Do You Remember Love Perfect edition" DVD on ebay: Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gears, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am seeking "Macross: Do you Remember Love" on DVD. I was recommended to buy this movie since I've never seen it and it's the 1st Macross movie. I want to buy a version of it that is 100% unedited (Violence, nudity, etc.). This one is on Ebay:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-1645815-5463217?loc=http://cgi.ebay.com/Macross-Movie-Do-You-Remember-Love-DVD-Perfect-Edition_W0QQitemZ9118195226QQcategoryZ617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Have any of you bought this version of the DVD and what are your thoughts on it's quality? Also is it 100% unedited?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I wouldn't pay for it, but that's because it's a Chinese bootleg DVD, and there are noncommercial fansubs available on the internet. It's not too hard to download it and make your own DVD without encouraging piracy for profit. :thumbs2: 

3. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'd actually like to see this uncut version dubbed. :)  I'm not an emo-me freak that knows no japanese, yet has to have subtitles for some unknown reason, I prefer dubbed. :) 

But anyway, it should be the proper version. It's japanese with subtitles for one, and it's the correct name. But all it is really is just a compressed version of the cartoon series. The only nudity is when minmay takes a shower when her and rick are stuck together when they first transform the SDF-1. It sure isn't worth buying just for those few seconds of cartoon boobie. But it is worth buying because it's original robotech. :)  And for the price on that auction, why are you waiting?

The only thing that would make me say not to buy it is if it was shipped from singapore/china/hong kong. They have shocking quality crap from there. I bought once from there, (DVD), and got burnt, so never again. Local all the way.

4. flamepanther

How do you figure? There are more sides to the conflict, more background on the Protoculture, different designs for the characters, costumes, and technology... oh yeah and almost completely different events past maybe the first third of the movie. Also the improvement in animation quality alone makes it worth watching.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Could we PLEASE have a decent conversation about Macross & Robotech without it erupting into something else??? Seriously...

And MV75, please desist on the name calling...

6. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

It's basically a retelling of the series, but things do play out a little differently.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe that the only English dub so far made was made by native Chinese speakers. I don't think they've dubbed DYRL, since we're just now getting the series dubbed. I could be completely mistaken, since I don't really keep up on these things.

8. flamepanther

Please do. One's personal experience, or the impression he gets from it isn't always accurate. Most of the people I know in real life who insist on watching English dubs are either lazy and uncultured or have a handicap such as dislexia, but I have the sense never to assume that this extends to all or even most others. Even if I don't agree with them, I understand and respect the usual points in favor of watching dubs that get used in online discussions. Personally, I want to see what the original director of the work had in mind, and I've seen too many dubs where the English language director didn't understand or changed the intent of the work deliberately. I don't see anything snobbish about that, and it goes for whatever language the work was in, not just Japanese. So for instance I'm not interested in getting the new version of the Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust DVD that has the Japanese dub on it, because the film was originally produced and directed in English. If you still want to say something about subtitles, at least learn some of the real reasons people watch them before you do. In the future, you might want to rethink your stereotypes before you go slinging around offensive generalizations. Thank you.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    He apologized... DROP IT...

10. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The DYRL: The Perfect Edition is the best version to get, given what's available. Keep in mind that unless the DVD costs $50-$100 it will not be the original R2 release. So all of them are bootleg. There is a non Perfect Edition which is a rip of the old laser discs while the Perfect Edition is a rip of the R2 DVDs. Obviously sound and picture are much much better on the perfect edition.

Some fans on MacrossWorld have corrected some of the subtitles if you're interested in ripping the DVD and adding the subtitle file.

This movie still has some of the best 2D animation around even compared to today's standard. Anyone that can get a hand on this should check it out.

11. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I would say not to get it. It is a bootleg. You can find fansubbed editions of it using bittorent.

If I am not mistaken, there is an english dubbed edition of it (and I am not talking about that horrid Clash of the bionoids crap). If I remember corectly when they made it they also produced an english dubbed edition of it with Japanise subtitles. You might be able to find it if you look for it.

12. flamepanther

The English dubbed version is comparable in quality to the Star TV dubs of Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory. In other words, unwatchable unless you're desperate. It's also not available on DVD in the USA, only VHS.

13. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

The first time I saw this DYRL I was blown away.....I was hooked ever since on Japanimation ever since....

But anyway hey whats wrong with the crappy version? I still laugh myself to tears in the very serious moment of Roy's death as Rick cries out Minmei ....?

Those who know, know? and are probably still wtf?!? after all these yearsbut it may be an oldie but its still a goodie.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have a question, aren't fansubs not (technically at any rate) piracy as well?

Anyhoo I have DYRL on a bootleg called, 'Macross the Movie: Memorial edition'. Which is bascially perfect. Decent sub etc.

15. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I was one of the folks on Macrossworld that participated in modifying my Perfect Edition (Boot) to have Perfect Subtitles. It's even better with the corrected English. :rock 

16. flamepanther

Technically, but at least nobody gets paid for it. It's only the difference between "personal use" and organized crime. Geez.