macross 7 - I should skip it, right?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ckhtiger, Jun 3, 2008.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm just getting into macross frontier, and was doing some research on the macross series, and saw that basically 7 came after macross plus, which I love, and right before frontier. I started dl'ing some episodes and reading reviews, and after only sampling a few seconds, I thought I'd just check here before I confirm my suspicions that it's a total waste of time.

on a side note, gundam seed is pretty good, isn't it? that's another one I haven't seen yet but am looking into.

2. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I can only speak for myself, but I love Macross 7. In fact, I enjoy more then Macross Plus, and Zero...well Zero is torture.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hmmm, and I kinda liked zero. but only kinda, the animation and flight sequences were amazing, as well as the designs, but the plot started to get too "out there" for me at the end.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like Zero more than Plus. I can't remember if I saw 7, which I guess means I probably did and forgot about it.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

lots of singing, mechs controlled by guitars ring a bell?

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Guitars. That seems to remind me of something.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Macross 7 is a fun, light macross series, the art was great for the time period and you get to see some of the characters from the original Macross and their kids. The designs were nice and the music is good. It has a little of everything, but it isn't as serious as some of the other Macross's. Watch a little first if you can. Here is the opening and ending.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  8. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

I loved Macross 7! If you can get past the band controlling the Valkyries through instruments, then you're in for a good ride. Music was pretty good too.

9. PMPrime

PMPrime Made of sterner stuff...

Please skip it for your own sanity's sake.
    It was such a chore to go through all those episodes, but I had to because I wanted to see what happened to the ONLY character I connected to...Gamlin I think his name was. Wasn't too happy at the end, let me tell you, lol.
    I wanted to slap Basara, I think his name was. Shut the hell up you prick!
    This guy takes pacifism to a whole new level...beyond Kira of Gundam Seed, beyond Vash the Stampede of Trigun and miles beyond Kenshin and it made me sick, lol.

10. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

49 episode tv series.
    4 episode ova.
    1 theatrical movie.

That's an obvoius sign that it was popular in Japan, M7 covered the most ground in the Macross timeline. If it had all the elements which make a Macross series (music, love triangles, and variable mecha), then it should be a success....right?

This is where the great divide begins among Macross fans with Basara and the Sound Force. Personally. I've only seen a few episodes so I won't say whether you should skip it or not. Watch a few episodes and then get back to us.

11. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Its alright my position is still I hate Basara, and what they did to my beloved vf-19(I cant forgive that ) that said I liked the idea of planes controlled by instruments,it was something of an interesting history and seeing MAx and miriya again- Max will forever be win in my book- Its my least favorirte macross but I would give it a chance for its definitively entretainging

On my macross scale is DYRL > Macross =Frontier(so far)>Zero = PLUS> Macross 7

12. Sweep

Sweep worse then vehicon drones

I think Macross 7 is a very fun and entertaining show, the songs rock, and seeing Max back in action makes it worth while to me.

13. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMHO, it was just too streched out. If it was like 10-15 eps shorter, I'd enjoy it a lot more. However, with that said, M7 has the best soundtrack. Angel Voice and Totsugeki Love Heart are the best songs.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I hate Macross 7, and I wish I could actually murder the show. with a knife. a flaming knife. while yelling "listen to my song".

15. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I am a big Macross 7 fan. Watch it, you can find it torrented on the internet, watch it. The animation is dated, but the story is good. You get some characters from Macross (Max, Myria, Exodol). It is good to see them in 2045. Give it a chance.

16. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I can't say much for 7, but as for Gundam Seed its decent. It has some good points and bad, especially towards the end. If you do watch it, skip Seed Destiny. That was a crapfest.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I know many people like it, but it really fails as a gundam series. its just a rehash of past ideas and plot points, and does nothing new. all the characters are shallow and boring too.

"decent" is being incredibly kind to it.

18. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I like Macross 7 alot, but only after 3 attempts to get into the show. The first few episodes are a bit tedious to get through because they tend to be rather repetitive and in my first few attempts I could not get past them. But around the 10+ or so episode, things start to get interesting and I started to actually care about the characters. By the end I became totally engrossed with the show, and if you keep in mind not to take it seriously, the silliness of it all can be very entertaining in a good way. I would recommend that if you find the first few episodes rather boring, endure to at least the halfway point, and you might not regret it, or not, Macross 7 is very very polarizing.

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

as far as gundam seed goes, I'll have to admit, the only gundam series I've seen is wing/endless waltz, and I absolutely loved it. my gf and I are currently watching 00 and are really liking it too. I think part of what I like about those series is what others tend not to like, in that the gundams are so ridiculously powerful and have these insane attacks.

20. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

If you haven't seen a lot of the other series when you watch it, like I did, its not that bad. Although I'll admit the second half really started getting on my nerves.