Machine Robo (Gobots anime--that doesn't suck) Release

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by GoldbugTM2, Jun 26, 2010.

?

Which names should I use?

1. English/western (Gobots)

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. original Japanese (Machine Robo)

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Cybertronian

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Gobots still suck!

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

Well Transfans, I now have in my possession that which has been sought after by many of us to no avail: Machine Robot: Revenge of Cronos. For those who are unfamiliar, it's basically the anime series that spawned the toyline we know as Gobots (the original 80s one, not the TFs for babies toyline Hasbro has made in more recent years.) While we got the crappy Hanna Barbera cartoon series that we all love to make fun of, in Japan they had a far superior anime series that has actually had 3 different incarnations over the years. I am in possession of the original (Revenge of Cronos) and the 3rd series (Machine Robo Rescue), but I'm here to talk about the original. The later series gradually veered away from the characters of the toyline anyway. Revenge of Cronos has never had a real release in North America. There were a few subtitled DVDs/VHS tapes released years ago, but good luck finding them, and they only spanned the first ~15 episodes. In France, Revenge of Cronos was released as "season 2" of Gobots--the HB cartoon being season 1 of course. There has also never been a fansub release of Revenge of Cronos--until now. I do have a complete set of subtitled episodes, but they're crappy bootleg subs. (Actually they're not that bad for bootlegs, but they still need some polish.)

So now to the main point. I will be cleaning up these subs, and like my Japanese Transformers project, we have to talk about western/japanese names/terminology. With Gobots/Revenge of Cronos, the situation is a bit different:

1. Let's face it, the names/terminology used for the Gobots toys/HB cartoon were pretty bad, not headmaster dub bad, but close. :sd:

2. As I already mentioned the Machine Robo series over time veered away from the characters used in the toyline. Also some of the names in the original Japanese aren't that great either: "Drill" & "Jet" for example, and there's the evil 6 bot combiner group called "The Devil Satan 6".

There is a toyline based list of west vs japanese names available here: Machine Robos Tonka Gobots toys Go Bots. Japanese mighty robots also by Popy.

So with all the facts layed out, the question is simple: Western names or original Japanese names?

Also, this series is unlicensed in the US (and most other english speaking countries I believe), so is there any interest in hosting the series on twf2005.com? *looks for site admin*

2. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

if you do this you will be my new god and I will have gobot sacrifices in your honer...oh, and Japanese names please.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I think they did a poor job naming these "characters" either in Japanese names, or/and especially American names. I mean, come on, Cy-Kill? That's just freaking too easy.
    Cool idea, looking forward to the results. And, I agree Japanese names were much better.

4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    American names. Yes some are bad but it's the names everyone knows.

Why didn't we get this like france did?

5. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stick with the American names. The Japanese names are less imaginative.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Less imaginative than Scooter and Cop-tur? (yes, I realize the Japanese names suck, I'm just being facetious).

Also, "Devil Satan 6" and "Cy-Kill" suck? Those are the BEST names from each series!

7. GoldbugTM2

I think I should give you guys a little background into the Machine Robo series before your hopes go way off in the wrong direction...

It all started with a Japanese toyline called Machine Robo, much like the Transformers counterparts (diaclones & microman), these did have "characters" and backstory, but no animated series. These toys actually predated Transformers, and the toys from the line that were imported to the US as Gobots also made it to toy shelves before Transformers. However, when Transformers did launch, and subsequently returned to Japan with an animated series in tow, the Machine Robo/Gobots toys got squashed--especially in Japan.

Even though Hanna Barbera gave North America a cartoon to go with Gobots, there was nothing of the sort to go with the Japanese version of the toys. One episode of the Hanna Barbera cartoon was in fact dubbed into Japanese and shown at a toy convention in Japan. As you might expect, it was not received very well--at all.
    The brief notion of importing Challenge of the Gobots to Japan was promptly scrapped, and Bandai (makers of the Machine Robo/Gobots toys) still didn't have a cartoon series. Their toyline was at death's door, so they decided to put it out of its misery, albeit briefly. They did have a plan, however. They commissioned Ashi (makers of Dancougar, M.A.S.K., and the Beast Wars anime) to make a new animated series and relaunched a bunch of their transforming robot toys, (Machine Robo & Devil Invaders in particular), accordingly. There was one small problem, the Machine Robo anime didn't exactly adhere to the roster of characters provided by the toyline the way Transformers did. This was a purely Japanese production after all; the studio was more concerned with storytelling than shilling toys by giving them screen time. Many toys only got brief cameos. The anime series didn't help Bandai too much with their toys, but the anime series did prove to be successful, 2 additional incarnations were produced over the years with several OVAs in between.

For more information check out this great site that goes into more detail on both the cartoon and the toys: Counter-X > Gobots >> Information >>> Machine Robo

8. GoldbugTM2

I'm using the original Japanese character names for the most part, but there are a couple names that are just so bad I'm not about to use them: Ie. "Triple Jim". Unfortunately the Triple Jim toy/character never made it to North America, so there's no western name for him. I'll come up with something though.

In any case, episode 1 is finished. Here's the link:
    Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos Ep. 1

9. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the sub! I wish there was an option for a combination of the Japanese and American names, although the only Japanese name I know is Devil Satan 6 :p 

10. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Uhh.. If this is a sub I see no reason to change any of the names seeing as you'll still be able to hear them in the voices...

11. Fortress Prime

Fortress Prime Guardian Robot

Ebay:
    i've got 2 dvd's of revenge of cronos
    its a pretty good show
    i really like finding all the cameos of the other gobots (MR's)

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just for the record, I don't think the old Go-Bots cartoon sucked. Sure, it wasn't as good as Transfomers....or GI Joe....or He-Man....or Thundercats...but hey, I still liked it as a kid.

13. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to check it out for awhile.
    I also enjoyed Go-bots as a kid. And then I saw Transformers.

14. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should probably add a quick blurb at the start of each episode that briefly explains that this cartoon is in no way connected to the American Gobots series.

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    My computer cannot play that file. What program should I be using? Quicktime nor Windows Media Player can do anything with it.

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    try a program called VLC

17. GoldbugTM2

Yeah what he said. aka VideoLAN. you need the matroska codec though, but it might be included with VLC.

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, I'm off topic but were there city-base bots in the original Gobots toys? I seem to recall a dinosaur or monster like bot from the toyline. I'm sure it was not Tryticon!

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'll wait for him to put it up on youtube or change the file format. I'm not gonna clutter my computer up with yet another program I'll only use once. Just ends up slowing my system down.

20. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any chance you could put this on youtube?