M I B for Sale?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by usernamedustin, Aug 28, 2017.

?

Please stop using MIB unless it is sealed?

1. Yea

35.0%
  2. Nay

65.0%
  1. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I agree here.

2. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I use MIB for some of my eBay listings . I mean why not ? With all the KO's of some of the more pricier figures out there ,and to insure the item is legit or a KO it's only right to let the buyer know EXACTLY what there looking at. I am also a MISB collector. For items that I may choose to list I right that as well. It's informative, it's professional, and it's a curtesy.

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    It most certainly can and is probably the most common interpretation of MIB. It also applies to sealed items where the outer tape has broken due to age (a reason I don't collect sealed G1 boxed items).

Same here. When I post items for sale, I refer to them as "loose", "opened" or "sealed". I also include what I mean by those terms, to eliminate confusion.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

MIB and MISB distinction works for me. I know MISB will be unopened and MIB will be a complete figure with packaging.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Hasn't been around for a while.

Has double taping been confirmed is due to QC check?

The pattern is quite random though But overall has been an increase in the incident. If it is QC check, why with the recent increase?

Double taping carries certain financial implications.

6. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with that, through. Is there are MOOB, which is a mint item that you simply haven't put back in the box but has the box and all the contents, and is thus Mint Out Of Box?

If so, a toy can be both MIB and MOOB because it's a classification not of the toy but whether you have simply chosen to put it in the box or leave it out.

In unreasonable to have a classification that isn't about the actual toy but simply referring to an act the owner has undertaken -- putting it back in the box. It can only reasonably refer to something about the product itself -- having never been taken out of the box.

The moment it has been taken out of the box it is no longer in its most pristine, perfect state, which is what mint refers to. The perfect state is having been put in the package.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  7. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's dumb to have two terms, MIB and MISB, that mean the same thing. I think it's better to use MIB as a term that the figure comes complete in box in perfect condition.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    MIB and MISB are not the same. All MIB means is that the toy is 'mint" (C9-C10) and has a box.

What's weird is people differentiating between MOC and MOSC. You can't really do the equivalent of boxing a carded figure. And why some of these clowns open up a carded toy, play with it for five minutes, and dump it back on eBay for a premium price is beyond me. It was worth something _before_ your meat hooks ruined the card and handled the product but now it's just another used toy in a sea of them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, you people will bitch and whine about the most pedantic bullshit.

MISB is a sealed package, anything else... isn't. It's really simple, and if it pisses anyone off this much maybe you should look into another hobby. Like heavily self-medicating...

10. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

No, that would be MWB - mint with box. Mint In Box means it is in the box. But what does being Mint In Box mean if not still referring to the same "mint condition" it left the factory in, which means the box may not be sealed but the toy has never been removed from the packaging. The moment you remove it it is no longer in the condition it left the factory in.

The toy may be mint but MIB isn't talking about the condition of the toy in isolation but it's state in conjunction with the package as well.

The term mint condition originated with coins and means literally the condition it left the mint. For a toy the condition it leaves the "mint" is in the package, and once you remove it from the package it is no longer in that same condition. Repackaging it doesn't return it to its original factory condition any more than retaping the box doesn't make it MISB just because the box is sealed again.

11. elburrito

elburrito Well-Known Member

many good points here. i think "mint" means "freshly minted" i.e., untouched. with coins, merely exposing them to air means no longer mint. if there is or ever was a finger print, it's not "mint"

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    ... I always thought "mint" in any regard was that stereotypical 'nerd doesn't let anyone even look at the item because resale value' thing.
    >>obviously doesn't buy items to keep in package

Loose/Opened/Sealed is infinitely clearer than all these MIBs and MOSCs and MOOBs (heh)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    MISB = Item is factory sealed, virtually never touched

MIB = figure is mint and it is in the box/refers to some light used condition of some sort. All portions of the box are present, such as instructions/inserts, inner tray, etc.

These two terms have been around longer than I've been collecting (20+ years at this point) and have typically been used in the ways described above.

I've never really seen much of a distinction between the variances of an open item. For vintage items, the seller bears the responsibility of disclosing the details (damage to the box, level of completeness, etc.). For modern items, I haven't seen many cases where such distinction really needs to be made, generally speaking. For example, damage to a box or contents totally changes the value of a vintage piece whereas most modern pieces it's negligible (usually detailed as "minor shelf wear" or other details simply disclosed.

Also, photos of an item tell the story pretty clearly in most cases. Again, for most modern pieces, it's just as much of an issue, especially given the sheer volume of production/availability of most figures. Don't like how one piece is? Typically finding one in "better" condition isn't difficult. I've never seen anyone counting twist ties to a modern piece whereas a G1 piece usually documents whether an insert baggie is sealed or not.

14. MetalStorm

MetalStorm Click Click Boom!

index.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tinbot

Tinbot Striving for lvl 99

I have to say, with an open ended definition of MIB along with opinion and error, I could only ever see this ending in a spiral of DOOOOOOOOoOOOOoOooOooOOM!

I havnt been fortunate to sell anything unopened bar a TR Brawn, which I described as “brand new, never been opened” it says what it is without confusing acronyms, and I may have burnt off an extra 1/8th of a calorie typing it out....

Rather than rage against this clunky description. Machine, change your dealings and ask more questions, it will be far less frustrating