M I B for Sale?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by usernamedustin, Aug 28, 2017.

?

Please stop using MIB unless it is sealed?

1. Yea

35.0%
  2. Nay

65.0%
  1. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Lesser Known Member

Does it annoy anyone else to see so many figures for sale advertised MIB? Almost every one is wrong. There is MISB which can be shortened to MIB. Mint condition means just like it came form the factory and is untouched. Most of the items I see described as "MIB" are just used toys that include the box. I think the best grade you can give to any loose/opened collectible is Near Mint. Just because you put it back into its original box, does not make it return to mint condition.

2. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 MPM-5, take MPM-3 down a peg or 2.

News Credits:
    I pity the fool that doesn't know what "mint" means

and that's not mint

also I would use MIB only if I was selling a Men in Black related product

thank you thank you I'll be here all day

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  3. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    It doesn't bother me if someone lists something as MIB as long as the figure is as it came from the factory, complete, undamaged, or unmodified in anyway then I'm fine with it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are two distinct categories, MISB for sealed and MIB for not sealed but not displayed i.e. factory fresh but cut tape and the internal packaging will still be sealed up.

MIB does not mean opened, displayed then put back in the box.

• Like Like x 7
  5. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. I was always initially under the impression that mint in box meant factory sealed. When I found out mint just means that the itsm is intact and in a box, I was kind of annoyed. This is used no matter how what fancy language you use to try and sugar coat it

6. BWfan86

News Credits:
    Why would anyone ever open an outer box and leave an inner one intact? Makes no sense for one. Also, most toys don't have a sealed inner box/ tray anyway...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gangu Stars

Gangu Stars はじめまして。

Gotta take the wording as stated. MIB simply states the item is mint, in the box. There's also MIMB, which offers a bit more assurance because it tell you the item is mint, but so is the box (mint in mint box). I think there's quite a few other terms, MIOB, MOOC, MWIB, and on and on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

I would use the description boxed if the item is used with box. Unused maybe still in the bubble MIB.

9. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

Someone could just want to check that everything was in the package and in good condition.

10. BWfan86

News Credits:
    Meh, don't buy it. Anyway, IMO, once the outer seal is broken, the item is used

• Like Like x 1
  11. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Ive always assumed MIB was for items that were carefully removed from the box and displayed but was able to be put back in the box. I'm fine with using MIB vs. MISB as long as if its "MIB" it is mentioned somewhere in the description it was opened before. If its not mentioned, I assume opened and put back.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker TFW2005 Supporter

Whenever I see someone selling MISB then it gives me a small peace of mind that it is sealed by the factory (single tape preferable, double taped doesn't matter as much to me anymore because it gives some comfort that the factory went back to give a final check that all is supposedly good).

Whenever I see MIB, it just means anything from opening it up, messing around with the figure for a while, displaying it or just using it for a brief photoshoot then back in the box it goes for storage, to simply checking that all parts are complete and present to serve as defense if the buyer claims parts are missing or broken, or to the extreme of cannabalizing parts that appear more perfect from the next or previous copy of same figure, doing a switch and selling off the crappier copy off as MIB and defending that whatever is in the box is a QC mass produced issue that the seller has no control over.

I think the instance where if the seller says MIB and it's not sealed and truly is MIB, that I will buy sight unseen are found in say... examples of Iron Factory Figures. I don't recall them using tape on their packaging.

Back to the original question regarding stopping to use the term MIB if the product isn't sealed... I can't control what the seller will put down on the listing name or description to make the sale, so no point asking sellers to stop. I would do my own research before buying, ask the seller about the history of the item they're selling, and if there is any QC issue I should be aware about before clicking buy it now.

• Like Like x 2
  13. StellarJet

StellarJet Seeker

I have encountered honest sellers in ebay that were just not very familiar with the terminology and, when asked why MIB when the item looked factory sealed and MISB, they admitted that they meant 'brand new', and therefore yes, factory sealed.

As mentioned, some items do not come sealed from factory, and cannot be classified as MISB even if the box was never opened...

In any case, like Pho'ptimus Prime mentioned, MIB can comprise a lot of cases: from never removed from inner packaging, to just displayed, or just 'transformed a few times'. A risky category, I'd say. For me, MIB= ask a lot of questions (and pics) before buying!

14. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    o_O  eh-yukk.

Why? Just why?

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    MISB =Mint is sealed box = never opened and Item packaging is presumably pristine. possibly not as there are ways packaging can take damage with out the seal being broken.

MIB = Mint in Box = item itself self is in Mint condition , packaging may or may not be.

I have never considered MIB to be a short version of MISB. Personally I feel an opened or loose toy can be sold as Mint so long as you clearly indicate its opened or loose.

Really such terms are open to varying levels of debate.

• Like Like x 2
  16. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I think the terminology of MISB, MOSC, MIB etc. has been around for quite a while in toy collectors world. And I think most serious collectors know what SHOULD be meant by each term: mint in sealed box is an unopened item in a factory sealed box, mint in box is a practically perfect specimen, with no signs of damage, in the opened box. Things that I am practically allergic to when checking out listings are terms like: only opened for inspection (such BS, that tells me the seller used it for display), or stuff like C8, C9, C10, to denote the quality of a figure. In those cases, I'd much rather prefer the more generic MIB. I do of course also hate seeing people describe an item as MIB when it has most obviously been played with, stickers applied, accessories missing...

In any case, a picture is worth a thousand words, and it's only on the basis of pictures that I'd ever buy a figure, be it described as MISB, MIB, MOSC or even as a junker.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of Transformers and other brand toys have internal packaging that holds the plastic internals and windows together with tape to the backing card. There are also the wires, plastic tags and string that then physically hold the toy to the clear plastic internals.

For example where there are two vacuum moulded clear plastic trays sandwiched together like on the unite warriors / combiner wars boxset lines, these are sellotaped together. For current Takara legends toys the plastic trays are then sellotaped to the backing card tray. For Hasbro titans return the figures are held onto the backing trays by plastic tags that need cutting to remove. There are very few transformers since the 1990s beast wars era that can be removed from the internals without cutting, damaging or visibly interfering with packaging parts.

For those on backing cards then it's obvious if they have been opened but ones in boxes i.e. TLK Deluxe upwards or Titans Return/Generations Voyager can be opened more subtly.

Most Takara variants are boxed though the years though even down to legends size. Back in Armada/micron legends the Takara minicons were on a card but with a removable sleeve rather than bonded backing.

Exclusives or special editions (SDCC) often come in boxes too.

On G1 you could cut the tape, remove the trays and toys and if careful do this without damaging the styrofoam.

For the older toys like Armada Unicron which had batteries installed it was a tough call whether to unpack enough to remove batteries and keep MIB rather than risk MISB storage. This era held the toys on with the plastic coated wires that on the Armada era toys could be unwound carefully in places and done back up carefully without issue.

Yep

For the modern (BW onwards) stuff cutting the tape, inspecting content, checking instructions or obscured parts are there etc but not unsealing the internals isn't that uncommon. A number of TFs (plus other toy series e.g. like power rangers legacy) don't have display windows so plenty of people like to check everything is there.

Not always true, double taping or occasionally open cut taping can happen at factory or distribution/retail for QC esp on Japanese /Takara ones. Tapes can be popped with sufficient impact although the box will show this, tapes can tear as a result of shelf wear or miss handling.

It's usually obvious on Transformers if the tape has been cut but the toy is still factory sealed as should be inside or if opened, removed and replaced.

The problem is the conscientious collectors Vs general eBayers are two separate groups usually.

There are loads of casual collectors and sellers who don't understand condition or even marginally appreciate toy grading.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    'Mint In Mint Sealed Box' is not the same as
    'Mint In Sealed Box' is not the same as
    'Mint In Box' is not the same as
    'Mint' is not the same as
    'Boxed' is not the same as
    'Loose'.

Feel free to add the word 'complete' to everything after MISB if applicable.

But, and I stress this in the most important way possible, that in almost every single example of buying/selling (aside from the buyers due diligence), pictures tell a thousand words.

But then peoples definition of 'mint' varies from person to person too. Some people's 'mint' is the equivalent of someone elses smokey (what? You can't see the smoke!) 6/10.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Sparkling Silver Wing

Instagram:
    A term I've seen is "BIB" (Back in box)
    Toy has been played, displayed, whatever, now that the owner wants to sell it he puts it back in the box.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I've gotten away from using "MIB" to quell confusion. Anything that's been opened will be described as "100% complete with original box/card and paperwork."

I almost don't use "MISB/MOSC" anymore since I encounter buyers that have no idea what these common initialisms mean, so I try to spell everything out.

• Like Like x 2