m/e pretenders who is for them?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jmc2915, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

now i am not saying they need to revive the original pretenders series of figures. what i am saying is that hasbro has release some modern era figures recently that are throwbacks to the original pretenders figures (example skullgrin: generations, thunderwing: generations, bludgeon: rotf and even black shadow) in the name, figure and vehicle designs. would anyone other then myself be interested in more figures like this?

also would you consider the transformers classic grimlock a pretender based design? i personally am leaning that way but haven't decided

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Totally agree with this.

I'm all for it as long as it's a nice mixture of the total character, Bludgeon and Black Shadow are wins, Octopunch and Metalhawk not so much. Basically I want less goofy human faces.

3. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

i agree.

i recently picked up the bludgeon through ebay and the upgrade kit from tfsource, i think it is a great updated version of the original figure

thunderwing also nails the figure and vehicle

skullgrin is ok, i don't regrat picking it up at all

as far as the black shadow figure i am fighting picking it up because it was origianal as destron which was release in japan. so for me it was a repaint of thunderwing with some slight mods. i think i want to stay true to the usa pretenders atleast to limit myself. i just started getting back into transformers and i don't want to go to crazy even though it sure is easy enough to do so.

4. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

k-mart had an exclusive skyhammer for the transformers universe 2.0 toyline, link below

Skyhammer (2008) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info

i feel like it is probably the worst updated pretender unless you include the powercore mini-cons, but it is atleast a plane. personally i feel like hasbro can do better. i will pass on this one.

5. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the pretenders are a mixed bag when trying to update. In many (most cases), the actual transformer robot was pretty crappy. And I'd also say that many of us ended up liking the shell image more than the robot image, but in most cases, the shell just doesn't end up transitioning very well to a transforming robot. Thunderwing and Bludgeon worked out very well. I think Octopunch did the best it could, but to me, its really not close, and quite frankly, we will most certainly never see another Octopunch figure, so it'll have to do.

I'd really love a Vroom figure though. OTher than thunderwing, I really thought his was the best mega-pretender out there, as the robot/shell combination really did work out wonderfully.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I want an updated Roadblock, Vroom and Pretender Monsters like yesterday. Also, a proper Octopunch.

7. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Yes, I would love to see this happen. While I'm not into the whole G1 Pretender idea, I love the figures we've gotten to homage them. It could be because I love obscure homages (the main reason I got DOTM Quickstrike).

8. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

do you have a pic? having a hard time finding the quickstrike figure on tfu

9. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Undertow is my Octopunch
    [​IMG]

10. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

i picked one of these up and was starting to regret it. i can kinda see it what with the color of the original core figure and the vehicle itself

11. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

but i wonder if hasbro was to modify some of the beast wars figs if maybe that might be a good idea for some of the figures. when i look at the original pretenders i think the shells are the most recognizable. so what i would like see is what they did with bludgeon. the figure would resemple the shell and the vehicle represents the core vehicle mode. unless the vehicle mode is a standard vehicle then i think if the would make the figure resemble the original core figure and have it transform into the shell like a beast or something like that

12. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    This G1 seems to warrant a degree of demand so I'm totally game, bring it on whether Has/Tak or 3P!!

Clearly, it has play value for the kids as well as for adult collectors, so yeah!

13. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    I am beyond down with more Pretender updates.

14. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

what is Tak or 3P?

15. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

honestly i would also like to see updates on head and powermasters also! bring on powermaster optimus prime!

16. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Tak is short for Takara, now Tomy. They are the Japanese that is responsible for giving us The Transformers (called diaclone back then).

3P= Third Party i.e,. Fansproject, TFC, Maketoys, iGear, etc...

17. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

cool thanks!

to be honest i feel that 3rd parties are too expensive for my taste but some of them sure do great work

18. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see your mosc Undertow, and raise you an alternate transformed Octopunch.

[​IMG]

I like me some pretenders. I think Autobots should be based on their innerbots (except maybe Longtooth) and the Decepticons based on their shells.

As a kid, I had Cloudburst and Ground Breaker. Would love updates for those two

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I'm all for some updated Pretenders. The more obscure a character is, the more I'll love it.

20. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind seeing Cyclonus repainted in to Metalhawk's inner robot.