Lupin III

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Considered Japan’s answer to THE A-TEAM and OO7, Lupin III made its debut in 1967 and went on to become one of anime’s most renowned stories. With a combo of cartoonish antics and thrilling adventures from creator Monkey Punch (even HE has no idea how he got that name), the series became widely popular in Japan and around the world, and ended up as a series of popular anime features, the most famous of which was directed by famed director Hayao Miyazaki.

The rundown is simple: a crook and his mates adventure about, pulling off big heists one after another, and in constant pursuit by the cops and other despicable characters. However, not only are the heists and cons handled cleverly enough to work and thrill, but the characters are unique make a wonderful ensemble cast. Lupin is one of those shows that have moved with the times and portrayed a variety of complex/simple/insane stories, but manages to survive due to its compelling and gripping characters.

Firstly, there’s the titular hero Arsene Lupin III, grandson of the French thief Arsene Lupin (a noted literary figure). Lupin is a fun-loving clownish figure, but beneath his carefree demeanor lies a devious, ten-steps-ahead mind and a variety of skills in almost every field of knowledge... and also a heart of gold; although he’s a thief he only steals because it’s his way of life and he finds it heaps of fun; any crime outside of thievery that he encounters (murder, blackmail, anything that harms innocents) is unacceptable and will be stopped; partly because he’s a nice guy, but also practically because any connection to such horrible crimes will get him in more trouble than he needs/wants from just being a thief.
    Lupin is accompanied by his two best friends, gunman Daisuke Jigen (the fastest draw on the planet – fact, not legend) and samurai Goemon Ishikawa XIII (who possesses a sword that can cut through anything).
    He often crosses paths with the sizzling Fujiko Mine, his love interest and female equal (constantly ranked as Anime’s #1 heroine). She is just as good as Lupin at theft (as well as using her feminine charms on her marks), but a little less smart and a little more greedy; thus even though he is besotted with her she will abandon him and make off with all the loot for herself after he’s done most of the job; however, she too likes Lupin (though she’d never admit it to him) and makes sure she leaves him in messes he can handle, or otherwise will return to save him.
    On the trail of the whole gang, but especially Lupin himself, is Japan’s best Interpol officer Inspector Kouichi Zenigata. Lupin is the only criminal he has never managed to catch and Zenigata is the one cop Lupin can’t shake off; the two are cop and crook on an eternal chase, tossing off insults and dupes at each other. But when necessary, the two rivals will defend and look out for each other when things get too hot or dangerous for each other; as a principle of honour, and also because they’d be friends if it weren’t for the law dividing them.

Here are a set of links showcasing Lupin III:
    (from the 2016 feature)
    Lupin the Third Opening Second Season - YouTube (intro to the Hayao Miyazaki show)
    Lupin III - 2nd Series - 2nd Opening Sequence - YouTube (second intro)
    Monkey Punch moment - YouTube (Lupin gets two fierce female rivals naked)
    Lupin The III Dead Or Alive DVD Theartrical Version Intro (US INTRO in 720p HD) - YouTube (car chase)
    Dead or Alive Pt. 2 - YouTube (a heist goes awry)
    Goemon destroys 2 Tanks - YouTube (Goemon cuts down two tanks)
    Goemon and Jigen scene from Crisis in Tokyo - YouTube (Jigen and Goemon in action)

Anyone else a fan of Lupin III?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

LOVE Lupin III, all iterations of it.

Which reminds me, I really need to finish watching the newest series, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Got distracted by so many games and other interests the last few months, I could just marathon the show now that it finished.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I loved watching this show,it was pure awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I really like this show. It's too bad CN did not allow it to run it's course. I finally watched Castle of Cagliostro and really enjoyed it.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    If I were to start watching. What is the best dub of Lupin III?

6. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    I'd suggest tracking down the Pioneer/Geneon dub.

Unfortunately it's not a complete dub but it's voice performances are really great to listen to, especially for Goemon, Lupin and Jigen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Castle of Cagliostro, it was done by Miyazaki so they spent more on he dub back in the day.

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm just starting to get into Lupin the Third. Certainly one of Anime's most unqie and charming character. :thumb  I caught a couple of his episodes and it knows when to get mature without going overboard.

And that the film the Castle of Caligostro is one of the finer anime films I've watched in years!

This scene alone's exciting to watch.

Castle of Cagliostro (Car Chase Sequence) - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  9. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

yeah I've jumped on the Lupin bandwagon too. The new Fujiko series (which got licenced by Funi) and Season 1 of the original series out on DVD peaked my interest. I've enjoyed the TV series more than I thought I would. But, the audio synch on a lot of those eps are very distracting.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I've gotten a couple of the films, really liked and would love to get more. Any one else think if they made an anime of burn notice it would come almost exactly like Lupin?

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lupin the 3rd is one of my favorite anime. The Geneon dub has the best VA's, IMO.

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1