Lowering college standards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Apr 3, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am taking a U.S. History class this semester and there's a problem with it.
    2, really. First, there's a group of four women who talk incessantly during the lectures; they don't talk about just anything, they are repeating to each other what the man just said out loud. but what happens during their chatter is that they keep missing things and he has to repeat a certain statement multiple times.

but the biggest problem is the utter stupidity that lurks in this little group.
    Wednesday, we were discussing the Panama Canal's construction. One of the women asked the instructor, "what oceans did the canal connect?"

This from a high school graduate?

I dropped my head to the table in a mock facepalm.

And as the instructor tried not to nail her with a witty zinger, her sidekick tried standing up for her. "Look, I got straight A's in high school history and nothing in this class makes sense."

The instructor stopped the class after that and sent us home for the night.

Are schools or even the colleges lowering standards these days?

i just don't get it. I can understand someone having a brain fart and not recalling some things- i do it myself on obscure things- but repeatedly not knowing a damn thing about the world you inhabit scares me.

ya know, i woulda handed the instructor a 20 dollar bill (for post class beers) if he had just told her "the Great Lakes."

Any of you see this in your schools or colleges and worry?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

$$$$ man.

Colleges are businesses too.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

No. It just turns out that adults are dumber than you thought they were.

4. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

It doesn't get better until graduate school, and even then there are some that mystify that they got in the programs to begin with. I have no doubt colleges have dumbed down some over the years, and that is a direct result of the lowering expectations and lack of real accountability in our public schools.

5. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am a high school history/government teacher, oddly enough. I can assure you that the Panama Canal and more gets covered in my classes. The problem is that we have states accepting federal money, and they must make themselves look good to continue receiving that money. One of the ways they do this is "credit recovery." Whenever I refuse to promote a student, he/she is placed in a room with a computer and allowed to take the course using a program. Basically, this program consists of sitting through tutorials and then taking a test. They take the test as many times as necessary to get a passing score.

As you can tell, this irritates me. It cheapens the value of my class. Honestly, I would not trust a high school diploma if I was an employer. Half of the diplomas being conveyed upon graduates these days were earned through "credit recovery" or through modifications from a special ed program. Special education is a crutch that is being used by many capable students for the purpose of being lazy (it has such modifications as no reading, notes provided by teacher, modified scoring, retesting until pass, and other crazy garbage). I understand that some kids truly have special needs, but it is getting out of control.

So there you go. Now you can understand why so many of your college classmates are total idiots.

6. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What college are you going to? If its a community college or two year school, then yeah, you're gonna get idiots like that. They'll take pretty much anyone willing to pay the tuition.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

They are paying to be there, and the school takes their money.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

What's the Panama Canal?

:wink: 

Though I don't see the big deal here. You learn a lot of subjects during high school, and you're bound to forget a fact or two. It really isn't the end of the world.

Hell, America history is my area of focus, and I still can't named all the presidents if to asked to on the spot. So you can't really expect much from people that just taking these courses because they're required. This reminds of the thread bitching about not knowing that Georgia was a country.

and btw, if you're sitting next to these girls that are chatty Cathys the entire time, either ask them to shut the fuck, or, ya know, move.

You should try grading some of these intro-level test that I do, they're filled with ideas dumber than this.

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I felt the same way when I was in college, and some of the college students I've met since then haven't improved my outlook. One day, a cashier at my theatre who had come up short on his drawer told me that he's really good at math, he's in college algebra, so it couldn't be his fault. I said, "So, you're taking a math class in college that I took in 8th grade, and you think that proves you're good at math?" But, colleges have to pay for those research grants somehow.

Also, what's the difference between a blonde and the Panama Canal? One's a busy ditch, the other's...

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You always seem very exasperated with the people around you. It must be hard being so much smarter than them.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I was a history and music major in school and there were kids back then, 12-14 years ago who were just as dumb. It's just the nature of the beast. You don't notice how idiotic some kids are in High School I guess because it's just High School, However when you get to College/University and someone asks " Wasn't the Civil War in the 1960's?" In a class FULL of History MAJORS?!?!? Yeah...I feel your frustration.

12. smkspy

But that's the problem, even the 4000 classes, they aren't just full of majors.

In my final graduate class last semester, we had a girl from the English graduate department taking the Historiography of the History profession with us.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I took an English Composition class back in 2007 or 2008, and once we had to do a peer revision of rough drafts for a paper we wrote about an event that impacted our lives. I wrote about losing one of my friends, a fire captain and reserve police officer who unfortunately was killed when the helicopter he was flying (while searching for a suspect running on foot) unexpectedly quit and crashed right to the ground.

Anyways, this one girl who was reading my paper, I swear she has got to be incredibly dumb because she asked me how high the helicopter my friend was flying was up in the air. I came close to yelling at her for asking such a dumb question, especially since I was still hurting over the loss of my friend (the accident that claimed his life happened on April 13, 2006 -- just three days after my 20th birthday).

Of course, I read her paper in turn... and it was just plain stupid. I remember when my professor assigned us to work on a paper describing an event that impacted our lives, she actually said out loud in class that she didn't have any events that took place in her life that made an impact. And here she was, writing a paper about her being followed by some guy that obviously didn't happen, it seemed like she was writing about some dream she wrote. I can't remember if I ever told her that I didn't believe anything that she wrote or not.

That's the only time I ever had a classmate, in any of my classes at the community college I attend, who was apparently dumb enough to not have an idea how high up a helicopter was before it crashed and killed its occupants.

14. smkspy

Well, did you write how high up in the air the helicopter was before it crashed?

And believe it or not, some people really don't have impacting experiences until later on in life. I didn't have mind until 18 or so....unless you could almost killing a cow in the middle of the night one.:wink: 

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

No, because I don't know exactly how high up my friend's helicopter was before it crashed. They never said how high he was in the air, though I would assume he had to be high up above the trees in order to track down the suspect that ran off on foot.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It probably doesn't help the situation that many people feel a need to go to college out of peer/parental pressure, or simply to conform what they perceive as a cultural norm, instead of taking up a trade or focusing on technical education, etc.

In Canada, it would be the difference between college and university, but the definition between the two sort of blurs in the US.

17. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I remember in 6th grade back in the early 90's when my teacher asked a fellow classmate where Canada was. She did not know.

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Its easy to miss, tucked away down there.

19. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

Last year our teacher asked this kid what continent were we in and he said South America

20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Well, at close, I guess.