Low bidders

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by DeathStorm, Aug 17, 2007.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    In browsing ebay I have always seen things that never really hit me as a "WTF?" kinda thing until now. I see all these great looking toys with several bids but the current price is still low.

Examples I ran across today:

G1 MIB Soundwave, very nice, very solid, great looking piece - it has 2 bids but the current price was only $8.50

G1 Trailbreaker MIB, looks like new - 3 bids with a price of $25.00

My question is, who are these first bidders? Do they actually think they will get a MIB G1 toy for $8 or $24. Does anyone know any buyer who has actually lucked out that much?

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

give them time... they will shoot up there. I usually bid low and hope everyone else loses interest. Doesn't work all the time, but you get some good stuff.

I got a Powermaster Ops for $0.99 (not complete, but has parts I need).

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alot of people bid low at first, but they also watch the item so they can swoop in with a higher bid at the last second.

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What I don't understand are the people who start their auctions at $.01 but have a reserve price that's high. Many times I have bid on items that even though my maximum bid mght be $50, it only shows what's needed to beat the bid before mine, so it might show up as just a few dollars, and I end up not winning because the reserve isn't met. If you aren't going to settle for less than a certain amount, have a starting bid at that amount!
    Which is only marginally related to the "why are the bids so low?" topic, but is related nonetheless.

5. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    That never occurred to be but, nonetheless, on the auctions I mentioned, for there to be several bidders and such a low price means that the first person who bid only had their max at $8 or $24 (or something around that). That makes no sense to me.

Even if you hope nobody notices the auction at least set your minimum bid at something reasonable in case someone else does decide to make a run at it. At least that way you don't have to keep raising your minimum.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Why raise it until you have to?

7. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    You're right, and it's not that it's a big deal to raise it. I just think it's kinda strange to think someone is getting on ebay, seeing a MIB G1 Transformer in great shape, and making their high bid $8.

But to each his own, maybe he/she just thinks they'll luck out and get it for that price - which is why I asked that at the end of my first post. Have you known anyone (or maybe yourself) who bid low like this and won the item?

8. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

It absolutely is a BIG DEAL! To me anyway.

Look, if theres 2 days left on an auction, and theres already 18 bids on it.....WHY?

SOMEONE TELL ME WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BID LIKE THAT!

It makes no sense. The ONLY sense I see on bidding early, is you want your name to be at the top. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

Ridiculous, doggone right you should hold back, curb your enthusiasm to bid so damn early, and jack the price up to the sky with 1 day left.

"Many times I have bid on items that even though my maximum bid mght be $50, < why????? it only shows what's (THAT I BID HIGHER THAN YOU???????) needed to beat the bid before mine (NO WE NEED TO BEAT YOUR BID NOW), so it might show up as just a few dollars, (TRUE) and I end up not winning because (SOMEONE BEAT MY 50.00....OR >>>>> the reserve isn't met."

Why, do you bid 50 in the first place? Thats so stupid. Now everyone trying to jock for position is stuck at 50 now, cause of you and your big wallet. Granted its a lil amount of change, but whats the POINT??

Keep it low, bid in low increments and stuff like that. I know you want it bad. But the real action starts at 1 minute or less. If youre too busy to watch an auction then thats your fault you got outbid. The price WILL rise, You can bet on that.

The TRUE thread of this title should be "High Bidders, WHY?"

9. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

I sometimes throw out a tester, open an auction or bid WAY before it ends to let other people know I'm interested in the item. For the smaller lines of themed collectibles this really helps. You know the major players, and if a certain bidder pops up on the list, you know your attempt to win will be futile, or you'll pay out the ass.

Like lifting up your leg and marking your territory.

The low bids submitted by buyers also have a very "lottery ticket effect" on people. The action and daydream gives GREAT satisfaction, and just maybe it will fall through the cracks and land in their lap.

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Do remember if the auction starts at $1 and you have made an autobid up to $100 its only still a $1 bid untill other bids come in. Also many bids come in the last few minutes of the auction... the most annoying this is people using sniper software that bids within the last second of an auction.
    I wish ebay would implement a last second bid countermeasure like QXL has. If a new bid comes within the last 30sec of the auction it'll automatically postpone the auction with another 5min - that means you cannot get items under peoples noses - there you bid up to what you are actually willing to pay, no more no less.

11. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    Sniping is for a whole 'nother thread, I'm talking about low bidders.

We'll use your example with autobid. You're the first bidder, you go in and turn on autobid with a maximum of $100. Very fair price if it were on of the items I was talking about.

Now I come along and want the item so I start bidding, I'm outbid at $50, $75, $90, etc. until I get to $100.01 or $101 (depending on the bid incriments). Now you've been outbid and the auction shows two bidders with a price of $101.00.

Look at the examples I gave in my first post - a MIB Soundwave with 2 bids at a price of $8.50. That means the first bidder's maximum amount to pay was $8.49. This is what bothers me. He/she may just be testing the waters or making sure their name gets into the list of bidders but I guess I'm bothered by the fact that someone thinks they will get something for such a cheap price - even if sniping happens and they are outbid they still had a low maximum. If you really want something and are willing to pay $100 then just bid $100...seems simple enough to me. Even if you are sniped at the end you'll at least make sure the guy who beat you pays a pretty penny.

But what I'm curious about is if someone's actually won with a low maximum just out of luck.

EDIT: to the post about bidding against the known big guys - can't do that now, bidders identities are hidden.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My ebay strategy involves throwing lots of pretty low bids on a pretty big range of items. If it's something I really want I'll come back at the end to try and win it properly. Otherwise, very occasionally something will slip through without anyone else out bidding me. Usually the 24 hour or maybe 3 day auctions. I've gotten a few good wins that way.

13. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll bid low as a way of a marking an auction I'm really interested in (rather than just watching). Quite often I'll come back with a much higher bid later on.

However I've also won some great stuff for some surprisingly low amounts. I think the best was TM Hot Rod before he was reissued. At the time they were going for £75/$150. I got mine for £5/$10.

14. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

If the auction has a BIN price, and I need more time and I'm afraid the item will sell, or the price is too high, I might bid low just to make the BIN price go away, so I have more time to follow the auction around. Maybe this $8.49 made a BIN price of $200 go away.

15. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
  16. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Ive seen the sweet ass Buy-it-Now prices disapear from you guy's with that mentality of just "making it go away" type of salt, jack prices up WAY past the intended BIN. Absolutely pointless.

I've gotten in "only" 1 rage where I was bidding on top another person, I took my own therapy class for that and Im better now lol. And I promised myself, and the "would-be bidder", I wouldn't do it again in the future. haha

But making an auction "jump" to $50 to beat you with your super high bid kinda makes sense and it doesn't, realistically, all in the same token. I hear ya it MAY be worth what YOU think it is but maybe it isn't to ME, and THAT's where I find your point of "just bid to what I think it's worth" mentality fails in my opinion quite frankly. SO just because you got your wallet to back you up, and you ain'y skared to use it, again, fails in my comparison.

17. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I dont bid on anything until the last 10-20 seconds that are left in the auction.....

My win record is pretty good that way....I'll have a set price in mind, and as long as it doesnt go over that price from previous bidders....I'm there sniping it at the end :ev: 

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm going with getting rid of the BiN mostly. While I agree that sometimes it ends up higher, I don't think it's usually the first bidder who winds up paying the increased final amount.

But yeah, I don't bid 'til the end anyways, and it's always a snipe. And I use both programs and contacting the seller to do it. And I love it.

19. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

most of those early bidders might be new to collecting or new to ebay. i used to do the same thing.

the funny thing is i began ebaying a couple months after the official site was launched in '98 and back then you really could win things for that cheap.

20. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I don't do it often, but I will bid low just to have the auction saved in MY Ebay. I always have a ton of stuff on my Watch list, so if I am running out of room there, I will shoot a low bid just as another way of watching it. That way it is saved in My Ebay page under Item's I'm Bidding On.

BTW, MeGrimlock, and another guy duke0711, or something like that are notorious opening low bidders. I see their I.D. constantly, whether it's MISB, MIB, loose, it doesn't matter.

Ebay usually hides the bidders I.D. once the bid hits $200.00.

Anybody know how to set up your auction so the B.I.N. stays after bids are made?
    I could never figure that out.