Lovers and haters

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Grandum, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not the best title for a thread, but hopefully you'll get what I meant.

Normally when a movie is made out of something with a fanbase behind it there is usually a little bit of disapproval from some of the fanbase.

However I can't think of any movie that has received the same level of hatred, loathing and animosity from a portion of the fanbase as bayformers movies.

Why do you think that is?

Is it because it is so different from previous incarnations? (getting to know the characters, design, focus on the US army, the jokes, etc)

Is it the generational gap?

Is it something else?

Has any other movie turned fans this much against eachother?

Feel free to speculate...but keep it civil, different taste in movies doesn't mean that someone is retarded, it just means that you don't like the same things.

2. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I just don't find ROTF or DOTM to be very good films, not as a Transformers fan but as a movie fan. I did love the first one though, I just don't think the sequels did enough different to evolve the universe from the first film or develop the characters. Seemed to focus to much on humans who act as if they are on drugs.
    More character development would have made all the difference for me. Had I found the characters more interesting and likeable I would have been more absorbed in the film and looked over plot holes.

3. longhaulsub

longhaulsub Overseer of the Skuke

DOTM much better!!! Hopefully this will create a shift to focus more on the bots in any future movies I pray will be coming.

4. endless_abyss

endless_abyss Decepticon Knight

Its hard for a director to remake a pre-established series into a new movie. Changes have to be made in order to make it 'his creation.'

Unfortunately, what he keeps and what he changes is based his personal decision. And there can never be a final decision without lovers of it and haters of it.

Although, personally, I am mad at him for killing
    Megatron
    , I understand the level of difficulty Michael Bay faced with pleasing everyone as well as pleasing himself.

The term "Damned if you do, Damned if you don't" fits appropriately in this situation.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Because arrogant jerks like Don Murphy, Nelson and Orci set the negative tone about how to handle criticism, and their negative and hostile tone attracts like minded fans to the base.

6. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a Lover of Transformers not matter what, I can adapt easily.

Haters however think that Transformers deserves better, which is not bad but some people do it just to Troll.

Just pointing out some facts.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Before time began there were...valuable Discussions,
    We know not its origins, we know only that it holds the power to create threads and fill them with life, but like every great power...some wanted it for good, others..for evil. And so began the flamewar, a flamewar that divided our fanbase until it was consummed by hatred, and valuable discussions were lost on the far reaches of space. We scattered across the internet, hoping to find it and rebuild our fanbase, searching on every thread, every forum. And just when all hope seemed lost, a new discovery drew us to a unknown movie called...DOTM. But we were already too late.

In short: I have absolutely no idea.

8. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

This.

9. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    First off no one is against any fans except the people who think their opinion is more valid than another person's when it comes to rating a movie.

I can only tell you my reasons for hating the Bay films so much. I hate the Bay films first and foremost because they are crappy films with horrible writing, pacing and characterization. Instead of a gripping story full of the exploits of the characters we love, we got 3 half-assed attempts at stories and a whole cast of mind-numbingly dumb humans with a sprinkling of stereotypical "action" robot characters thrown in so it could be called a Transformers movie.

Instead of articles in the media about what star is screwing who or who is dropping X bit of dirty laundry to the press this week, I want to see a TF movie come out that gets press talking about how amazing the robot characters are and how Hasbro can't keep stock in stores because the movie was so damn good everyone had to have a toy. So yeah more people know about TFs now, too bad they learned to associate it with craptastic action movies.

10. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

its because you are interested in TF so you pay attention to news about it.
    many films and directors get equal amounts of hatred.

11. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    i like all the movies but i love dotm. for all of the goods and the bads. its whaty makes the movie verse. and i like the movie verse. bravo bay. (still upset about Q, dino, and no twins. but the good out-weighs the bad. :D )

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

GI Joe Rise of Cobra got a lot of hate from fans, but those fans were fairly united in their hate as it's hard to find a GI Joe fan that liked the movie.

Can't speak for everyone that doesn't like the films but to me they are just bad films even if it didn't have the name Transformers slapped onto it. I wanted something big and epic for the leap to live action films like the Lord of the Rings fans got and instead it feels like except for the effects everything was just the lowest common denominator.

Unlike some other adaptations from one form of media to another I really didn't ever feel like I was wanted as an older fan. Everything just had this feel of it was for new fans only that the old fans could just take a long walk off a short space bridge. While something like Transformers Prime has felt like welcome old fans we can't wait to show you all the new stuff we think you will enjoy.

I think both sides egg the war on though because some people will never accept that some people liked the films or that some people did not like the film. It's this rather strange idea that we must somehow all think exactly alike and damn anyone that thinks differently.

13. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Some people like it, some people don't. There's a lot of hate, and there's a lot of love. I myself love the first movie and DOTM, but can't stand the second one.
    The problem is, people on BOTH sides can be just so arrogant and insulting that it results in flame wars and arguments that tear the fandom apart.
    The lovers of the movies often use the phrases "Haters gonna hate", or "Geewunner"
    The haters of the movies often use the phrases "Fanboys", or "Sheep"

I myself don't know why the movies get so much heat, or even so much praise. We've had almost twenty Transformers series. And that's NOT counting the different comic series. I myself think Animated is the best Transformers series. I love Bayformers series overall. I don't really care for Beast Wars that much. Different people have different tastes. But Bayformers is CONSTANTLY nitpicked or worshipped to death.

Please people, haters and lovers alike, listen.
    EVERY SINGLE SERIES HAS IT'S UPS AND DOWNS. EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE.
    So why do the Bay movies get so much praise/hate, out of the eighteen series that Transformers has to offer?

I don't know. Maybe it's because they have much more impact on the world than any of the other series do. Maybe it's because when you talk to the average person about Optimus Prime, they're likely to think about Movie Optimus.
    But I don't see why those are reasons to love/hate the movie series.

Here's how I ultimately feel.
    You love the series? Cool. But don't get so defensive and annoying about it that you lose you're credibility.
    You hate the series? Cool. But don't get so trollish or douchebaggy to people about it that you lose you're credibility.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  14. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Love all 3 movies, as well as the G1 series and 1986 movie. Dunno if there are others like me that love both G1 and movieverse.

15. Grand Sword

Grand Sword Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I'm not complaining about the designs of the transformers or how Rachet is not white or Megatron is not a gun or any of that... they were just bad films.

All the bad comedy scenes for no reason, introduction of characters that have no purpose, important parts of the narrative not being on screen or hard to see. Very Poor editing, emotional scenes poorly cut short, bad acting and little screen time to the actual stars of the movie the Transformers themselves.

16. Metallitron

Metallitron Decepticon of Malice

News Credits:
    I LOVED the movies!!

17. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I honestly can't find a reason.
    At least I'm among those that have supported Bay since 2007.

18. jetfire prime

jetfire prime Do it now and do it loud

News Credits:
    I totally read that with Peter Cullens voice in my head.

Anyway, I love the movies. The first one is actually what got me interested in the franchise and one of my favorite movies

19. JayEm

JayEm Savage Life

The thing you have to remember is to keep an open mind...i enjoyed seeing my favorite transformers re-invisioned...in a more robotic and realistic way.

Sure the movies (ROTF mainly) are a bit weak but that usually comes with movies based on a superhero or popular franchise. There are so many ways to tell the transformers story. Its hard. Your arent gonna please everyone...sure id change some stuff in the movies but i like them...having them focus more on the robots would be nice.

For one just be glad it didnt flop like the Green Lantern movie...i love the Green Lantern but that movie was so terrible...i wanted to tear my eyes out!

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Objectively speaking? The movies suffer from bad writing and afford the Transformers (the true stars of the show) scant little characterization, relegating the limelight to a vapid dramatis personae as well as incorporating pointless sequences and scenes plus awful 'humor'. They have loads of flashy action, special effects and style but contain very little substance - they are tales of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Subjectively speaking? The Decepticon fan in me is outraged at the tremendous shit the films have taken on some of my most beloved characters, portraying them as an inept rabble of personality-less drones.