Love to hate and vice versa

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SlagNotSlug, Jul 11, 2018.

1. SlagNotSlug

SlagNotSlug Well-Known Member

For a while, I've been wondering how initial impressions have been influencing TF reviews. It seems that periodically, folks will rave about a figure, for instance, only to have it completely left off a year's "best of" list. The reverse case, where a hated figure, ends up being more widely acclaimed is admittedly much rarer.

Both cases could, of course, result from vocal minorities, and many figures are indeed polarizing (e.g. PotP Rodimus and PotP Grimlock being recent examples).

Nonetheless, I wanted to pose a question to the fandom at large: is there any figure in your collection for whom your feelings have completely changed over time? That is, either a figure that you initially loved that you now dislike or one that you initially disliked that you've come to love. One recent case for myself would be TR Overlord: when he was first released, I thought he was silly looking and didn't have any attachment to the character. I didn't buy him until recently (when he was massively on sale) and was exceptionally surprised by how much I liked him.

2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Royal Red

News Credits:
    I think for me it’s kinda the opposite. There where a lot of figures I initially bought and loved and were super excited about, but as time went on I realized I was just happy to have gotten them and I didn’t really like the figure itself, or my tastes changed a bit.

For my, the T30 figures are a good example of this. When they first came out I was 15 and was starting to feel a love for G1, so I was scooping up Generations left and right. Orion Pax, Arcee, Sandstorm, I got them all. Cue five years later though and I’ve grown up a lot, and I’ve collected the entirety of the Prime Wars Trilogy as well as many previous toylines. I adored the T30 when I first got them, but now I couldn’t care less about them. I hate the design, I hate the feel, everything about them is a turn off. The only one I want to keep is Springer, and thats only because we don’t have a better alternative. I know some of them are accurate to the source material, and some of them like Arcee long awaited, but I just don’t like those figures at their core. Prime Wars, to me, is perfect. The new Punch? Perfect. But not the T30 figures, those were a direction I am glad we went away from.

• Like Like x 3
  3. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom TrypticonCarne on Seibertron

HA Drag-strip

4. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Try it out, try it out man

Grew to Hate:
    Generations Armada Starscream--I've always loved the Armada Starscream design, the A/E/C trilogy Starscreams all three work just as well for me as the Animated and Prime series' Starscreams don't work for me...I love 'em as much as I hate those stupid, stupid chins and weirdly noseless faces. For some figures, that style worked really well...just not Starscream. Anyhow, I picked up this rendition of Starscream and was immediately blown away at the fact we got an Armada update with articulation, I hadn't been collecting at the time but the hope was he'd be as good as Generations Springer. I loved him straight away, but over time I noticed that the figure couldn't hold even the most basic of poses without falling down. I tried tightening up the joints, but it just wouldn't take. Then the cheap-looking plastic started to bug me. Then the heinously painted chin. Oh, and the swords like to fall apart. For a while, he sat on my "new favorites" shelf to the right of my monitor, but more recently I realized something: he's worse than the figure he was supposed to update in every way but articulation, and he's not even good at that. So, into the closet he went, alongside a bunch of other old Armada figures that I don't like...like Scavenger. Meanwhile, the original Armada Thundercracker is sitting to the left of my computer, with my other "old favorites." Great figure with shit articulation, but soooo much better than its update.

Grew to Love:
    Cybertron Megatron--I hated this design as a kid. We were fresh off of Energon Megatron, and I was keen on getting more G1-esque designs at the time. I didn't like his lack of fusion cannon or his gimmicks, his smaller shoulders, or his paint job. Slowly but surely, I grew to appreciate the figure for it's unique design, beautiful sculpt, unique color-scheme, and impeccable build quality as well as its very respectable articulation. Pile on top of that the Batmobile alt mode and he's still probably my favorite Megatron design of all time. Oh, and I still have him and re-purchased his shiny silver repaint (that cellphone paint is amazing) last year to fight my also recently reacquired Cybertron Optimus Prime. They both put most modern figures to shame in every way possible.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Wow. I feel pretty much the same about the T30 figs, too. I got back into collecting through this line, and now I'm looking at how I can cannibalize some of them for parts for customs.

6. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

A lot of the Universe 2.0 figures were ones I was excited to get, then quickly grew to dislike:

Prowl/Smokescreen/Bluestreak
    Sideswipe/Sunstreaker
    Ironhide/Ratchet
    Tankor (Octane)

I was excited to get these characters, but most of the figures just weren’t that great. I’ve since replaced all of them except Sideswipe and Bluestreak.

7. ZachimusPrime

ZachimusPrime Enjoys Robots

The G2 Menasor boxset from CW. I totally lost track of a lot of the first part of CW, and I was terribly disappointed when I basically missed out on Menasor. So when I saw G2 Menasor for a decent price at a comic store, I bought it on sight and was perfectly fine with the different colors (I’ll always take different colored versions of characters that aren’t a new character).

But as I’ve had him on the shelf and played with him for about a year or so (maybe 2?), he’s just not good. I don’t really mind the squat pose the mold has and besides, he has the better hip joints. But nope. Wacky colors, my unpopular opinion that he looks fine, and better hips still don’t work. The combined mode and some of the individual bots are just not well made. Started out as pure joy, slowly turned into a pretty big disappointment.

8. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Only happened once, Alt Tracks. Good lord I was so happy seeing him in TRU that day. Spent birthday money to get him and never regretted it.....until I opened him 6 years later. Oh lord the tabs so many TAAAABS!!!!! They still haunt my dreams. Honestly didn't think I ever would get him transformed things were just so stuck together. Finally did get him transformed and I was just utterly disappointed with him. Just put him in the Rubbermaid I store my TF's in and never touched him again. Even bigger regret is the fact that I could have gotten Alt Prowl. Considering I grew interested in Transformers in 89 and we're now in 2018, having only one monumental disappointing TF purchase isn't bad.

The majority of the time I usually get super hyped for a fig and if that hype dies faster then Watermelon gets eaten in my house then that TF just doesn't get purchased.

9. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Only one I despised after opening was Leader class DotM Sentinel Prime. He looked so cool and 80's in the packaging...and then turned out to be a shitfest to transform.

• Like Like x 1
  10. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb You no good, you. You just a chicken. CHEEPCHEEP!

Grew to reinforce love even more based on all the hate from fandom: MP-05, MP-25. OG Megs and Tracks. No, not perfect figures, but based on alot of bandwagon piling on from some fans who would have you believe they were the worst thing in the history of toys, my appreciation of them has only grown.

11. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I can't think of any figures I've grown not to care for... does one's own custom painting count? I was obsessed with painting up every figure that came into my hands, but eventually I just lost satisfaction with how they turned out and I'm now trying to sell them off, or, failing that, just giving them to my younger brother. I have rebuilt my collection with mostly new figures, and I'm all the happier for it.

In terms of toys I didn't like at first, I hated High Octane Bumblebee when I first saw pictures of him. After receiving one as a birthday present, the figure grew on me, and I still have one today from the Movie Tribute Bumblebee set. Out of the three Movie 'Bees that I have, it isn't my favorite, but I still enjoy messing around with it from time to time.

12. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    Henkei! henkei! Rodimus. Never really loved him, but thought that he was ultimately, ok. Now he really doesn't fit in with anything.

13. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl TFW2005 Supporter

I think a lot of the "grew to love" toys have the caveat of having a third party upgrade kit to improve its value (see: CW voyager Optimus).

14. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Man, I hear ya. In fact, because he was such a trainwreck?...and this is hard to admit at times, but the huuuuuge disappointment I had with Leader Sentinel was the catylyst for me completely getting out of movie bots altogther. My biggest issues were no independent leg movement, and the fact he couldn't stand up without assistance.

Dumb that I let one badly timed toy put such a bad taste in my mouth, but also got me out of a line that would largely just end up disappointing me anyway...in retrospect. Plus, we now have a MP movie line that covers that angle for me in a much better way.

I do wish I kept some of them, though, lol.