Love hate relationships with Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Mar 18, 2017.

1. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy aka BrickBotGuy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I love the Combiner Wars toyline but the cartoon is garbage. This also goes for much of Energon and, to a much lesser extent, PRIME.
    I love the Generations toyline but hate how nowadays the only 'generation' is Generation 1.
    Heck, I love the various Transformers toylines as a whole, but hate how they leave out anything that's not an actual Transformer. I'd LOVE a 'Humans of the Transformers' collector's line of posable, relatively in-scale action figures of human characters from various cartoons and comics, as well as some more set pieces like the Stasis Pod from that one ToysRUS RiD multipack.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

This.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

1. Even if that was true it would have no effect on the cartoon series. They could just keep the series going, halt the production of Animated toys for a little while till the movie line is done, then bring out another wave of Animated figures. Which is pretty much what they did with Transformers Prime when Dark of the Moon came out. The series and the toy line went on hiatus for a little while and then came back.

2. One store can't make demands like that. Every toy store would have to be asking the same thing not just Wal-Mart. They could become store exclusives like the Masterpiece Transformers and Reissues that only Toys R Us will carry now. As long as they can still get at least one store to sell them they'll keep the line going.

3. Transformers has always had multiple toy lines running at the same time. Usually one with a cartoon series or movie tie in and a subline of some kind. Reveal the Shield was never stopped because of Dark of the Moon. Prime was temporarily. Universe/Classics/Generations has pretty much always been going under one name or another ever since it first started. It's a sub-line that would never be effected by the main line Transformers. The only thing that could effect a main toy line is being replaced by another main toy line. Sub-lines like Reveal the Shield don't really ever end, they just get replaced by new gimmicks because that's all Generations. It's still going right now under the name Titans Return.

4. Wheeleigh

Wheeleigh New Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I love Transformers.

I hate the Bayverse and the fact that it represents and is used as an example of everything I hate about the film industry.

5. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

Love the toyline, but still wished they had more complex designs = better articulation. Feels like they sometimes only focus on the gimmick rather than the overall product design- almost like they think, "Well we got the gimmick to work, that's good enough."- and then the figure ends up having gorilla arm syndrome or something, and you end up looking at it: If only it didn't have gorilla arm syndrome, it would've been a perfect 10....

I actually love the movies, and it's also important to remember: If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have gotten Striker Optimus Prime, so even if you don't like the films, you're getting some pretty decent collectibles out of'em- so it's not all bad.

6. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

I dig that.Doesnt change the fact that most probably wasnt killed off because he was a loved character (although personally I find him Blaster class on the annoyance meter....ok I am hyperbolic, he was indiferent to me...) and I would lie, If I said I knew how real life events unfolded so....

7. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

I love that they remake characters all the time so we get to have more options. But I hate that they remake characters all the time because we have too many options.

8. Signal LancR

Signal LancR Bah weep gragnah

I love the fact that most of the figures I'm after are from the Unicron trilogy, so they're pretty cheap and usually in good shape, but that also means selling the ones I don't want from that era feels like kind of a rip off, plus there's virtually no demand.

I love that my collection is now more filled out and organised than ever, but I hate that I'm also running out of shelf space.

I hate the fact that Transformers (at least the new TLK figures) are finally too expensive for me. This is somewhat tempered by the fact that I wouldn't buy those figures anyway, but i do love that now I can focus on finding my grails instead of hunting for newer things. Also, can't wait to see wait the third entry of the prime wars is. Regardless of cost.

I loved power linking, but I hated that only Autobots could do it (Tidal wave doesn't count).

I love grippy rubber tires, but I hate that they only end in tears.

I like how metallic gold plastic looks, but then it crumbles to dust on you.

I love my collection, but I hate how little I know about the fiction. I'm working on that though.

I warn you, This's pretty unrealistic.
    I love the how 3rd party companies can fulfill whatever sort of esoteric fantasies we might have, but I hate the fact that we can't go back in time and fix the toys Hasbro didn't get right. You can make add-on kits or replacement figures all you want, but no modern toy can really fit right in with the old ones, if only because you'll always know it doesn't truly belong. I know this is obsurd of me to say. Hasbro's employees are people too, toy production is ultimately a business, and we can't be too greedy, but that's what I think.

God I'm whiny at times.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Do you mind if I ask you what do you mean bye figures Hasbro didn't get right?

Also you are aware that's aside from maybe 1 or 2 lines, Hasbro really isn't the designer/producer of these toys right?

10. Signal LancR

Signal LancR Bah weep gragnah

What I meant by Hasbro not getting toys right was certain figures or my favourite characters or designs not turning out perfectly. For example, I loved how unique Cybertron Override looked in the cartoon, but since her toy was centred around an autotransformation gimmick, her robot mode looked and posed like a worn out gobot.

11. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Well that is a case of the cartoon not getting it right not the toy maker

Remember the toys came first

And again hasbro had little to nothing to do with it as the toys were designed by Takara and not Hasbro

12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I totally agree. In a way I prefer the rubber tires because then they're built more like a real vehicle would be. But considering every single one of the tires on my RID1 Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus are torn and what's left of them are just hanging off the rims I also hate them because they don't last. They're in robot mode on my shelf and the tires are rotated so that the torn sections can't be seen from the front but I never let anyone touch them because if you're careful they will fall off and be lost completely. I kinda wish there was a way I could fix or replace the tires but right now the best I can do is hide the fact that they're falling apart.

The figures were only ten years old when the rubber started to tear just sitting on my shelf which makes me worry about the shelf life of some of my other figures who have parts made with that same material. Part of the reason why I keep RotF Jetfire in robot mode is because he has rubber parts that are squashed between hard plastic in jet mode and stretched in combined mode. Robot mode they just hang off his back so hopefully they'll last a bit longer if I don't put too much stress on them.

Speaking of which I'm fully aware of the irony of keeping Jetfire in one mode now so that he can still transform later. If I'm not transforming him anyway then what's the point of keeping his parts intact? Well... um... I don't actually know but I'm doing it anyway.

Same thing with Blitzwing. I typically keep him in Crazy Face mode because that's my favorite. I don't really like to rotate the faces that much because they are made of that same material and I fear the day when his face just falls off. The more I use that gimmick, the more I stress the rubber, and the quicker it's going to break on me. I guess that's also the reason I really want the Titans Return version and will custume paint the Thunderwing mold if I have to just so I have another G1 Blizwing with the Animated gimmick in case the gimmick ever breaks on the other one.... and I hate that Hasbro hasn't announced any plans for the other two Blitzwing Titan Masters to ever officially be a thing. Especially when there isn't a good mold to repaint into the Icy face.

13. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    I like the ROTF toyline, but loathe the ROTF movie.

I appreciate the Bayverse for making Transformers relevant again as a franchise, but hate how the Bayverse movies are so poorly thought-out.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I hate that most fiction of this franchise always focuses on the exact same handfull of characters while making dumb transparent excuses not to use the hundreds of wonderfull characters this franchise is rich in.

I hate that writers rather make up characters themselves instead of using those hundreds of interesting other characters this franchise is rich in and make up dumb transparent excuses to try and rationalise that.

I hate that i'm supposed to consider an alternate version of one of that handfull of characters as not 'geewun' while a G1 character that has had little to no appearence in fiction is considered 'geewun'.

I love the hundreds of original, colourfull, interesting underused characters this franchise is rich in and wish they were more appreciated by Hasbro, IDW and their writers.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love my collection. I hate how much space it takes up in my basement.

• Like Like x 1
  16. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

I really hate the Dino Mode on Leader Class AOE Grimlock, its proportions aren't good & colors are weird.

I really love the Robot Mode on Leader Class AOE Grimlock, its proportions are nice & colors are great.

17. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    After think for a few times, here's some more....

I love Optimus prime as a character but hate how much focus he gets and other more interesting character (Rodimus, Cyclonus, Sixshot, etc) get pushed back into obscurity.

I love Rodimus's character arc in G1 Season 3 but hate how "The Return of Optimus Prime" arc ruin Rodimus as a character.

I like the TLK, Combiner Wars and Titans Return toyline but hate how inconsistent the Quality Control on the figures are and a lot of good mold get ruined because of that. (TR Skulsmasher, TR Scourge, TLK Steelbane)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    In retrospect the ressurection of Optimus in G1 Sunbow feels like : "So we lost all the fans who stopped watching the show because they are pissed we killed Optimus. Everyone who watches the show now has gotten used to Rodimus and quite like him. So lets demote Rodimus and bring OP back for a handfull if episodes."

• Like Like x 2
  19. Marvelboy1974

Marvelboy1974 Well-Known Member

While I support the movies I hate that the characters vary from their counterparts to the point that they are not even recognizable unless someone tells you that they are so and so. I'm not saying they should look the same but just like movie Bumblebee, Optimus, Shockwave, there should be some elements that tell you with out a doubt who that is.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ampere

Ampere Isn't the sharpest crayon

-I hate that I love the toys as well as the fiction for Transformers. With many of the series I like I don't feel as though I need to own much if any of the merchandise. I felt the same way when I first got into Transformers. Eventually, I warmed up to the figures after being given some, watching reviews, and of course being exposed to the collecting aspect of the fandom.

-I love that some of my favorite TF characters are popular enough to get lots of different figures. I hate how many figures they get since It means I'll most likely buy it if it's cool. ^^;