Love hate relationships with Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    They needed to make BW Ravage the same as G1 Ravage in order for him to switch sides once he realized BW Megatron was simply following out the scheme laid out by G1 Megaron on the Golden Disk.

Plus, it's funny when you consider how all this combines into itself with Binaltech Ravage/Alt.Battle Ravage, where because of convoluted reasoning a copy of Tracks' body (with cathead) is sourced by terrorists, operated by BW Ravage's brain/blackbox, and powered by a stasis locked G1 Ravage glued into the tape player of the Corvette.

The tape player is molded on the rear end of the waist piece. So, essentially, Ravage is shoved up his own rear end.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

You are wrong to that: That is the first and final time Ravage ever spoke in the cartoon (Not headmasters). His voice had nothing to do with SoundWaves. It is accepted as a fact. In the Japanese dub (of the original Season 1) they even used a different actor to voice him. Weather it was a mistake of somesort or intended I dont know. To me this is something akin to the "Autobots dont fly" Thing that got trampled in the pilot.

I can agree with the rest of your reply except that Ramhorn (the Autobot Rhino) Also talked a couple times.

Also to clarify: I dont say that Ravage was meant to talk/not talk. I am saying that as far as head cannon goes, what I propose can be used as a stand in explanation.

KGB agent.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  3. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I also love the brand, but hate how the fan base acts a lot of the time.

I love G1, but I hate Wheelie, Wreck-Gar, Blurr, and Arcee, and I think some of the earlier episodes are too repetitive.

I don't like Prime, but I do like Dreadwing, Knock-Out, Welker's voice acting, and the relationships between Knock Out, Starscream, and Shockwave.

I don't like NuRID, but I do like some of the Decepticon designs, like Scowl's.

I love Animated, but I don't care much for the chins.

I love the movies, but I'm glad Sam and Shane are no longer in it.

I love the Jaegerverse, but it needs a little more beating up on femmebots.

4. Veleno

Veleno Solar Plexus Clown Gliders

I love G1 Ratchet and Ironhide but I hate around 75% of their toys.

5. Dropkick

Dropkick Doktor

What's the 25% you do like?

6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

They didn't need him to be Ravage though. They could of used any G1 character that's known to be loyal to Megatron. Soundwave himself would of been a better choice. But instead they used Ravage and made him so different from his G1 incarnation that you can't even believe it's the same character.

I've seen that figure. Never had one in hand. I loved those Alternators but they were kind of out my price range so never had a chance to pick one up. There were actually two different versions of Ravage. The one you mentioned, plus another one that I believe had the same vehicle mode but totally different transformation so that instead of transforming into a bipedal robot it transformed into a beast mode very similar to the G1 design with the rockets attached to his back legs.

Being that I hate transformers without proper robot modes, and the cat head makes no sense without a proper beast mode I kind of like to imagine that Alternators Ravage is actually a triple changer.

I didn't say that it was Soundwave's voice, I said that Soundwave was playing back information that Ravage had recorded, there's a difference. Soudwave is able to play back recordings on any of his cassettes. That doesn't mean that the recordings are Soundwave's voice or the cassettes' voice, it's a recording not them talking.

And what evidence do you have to prove this fact?

Again, only in the Japanese portion of G1. I'm not counting Japanese dubs cause they kinda did their own thing anyway. They even have totally different origins for the Headmasters. American Headmasters, there were humans inside of transforming exsosuits that turn into the heads... Well Nebulons but they look human under the suits. Japanese Headmasters are fully robots. So animal cassettes talking in the Japanese Dub means nothing for the American version.

7. Spontificus

Spontificus Well-Known Member

He's pretty similar to the Marvel G1 version of him (and by extension the IDW version which is based off of this version), who was able to speak and was really stealth/spying focused.

8. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

he did in one G1 episode
    nope

What ravage recorded was data....not voiced info
    That was ravges voice on the info relay throu soundwave
    Its also credited as so
    no
    Ramhorn spoke in the american g1 cartoon

"Forever is a long time coming" is one particular episode with evidence of that

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  9. pilot00

The episode Ramhorn spoke two or three times was "Forever is a long time coming" And I am not sure but I think he spoke in chaos as well.

Altered Prime has it right on ravage, also each time Soundwave playedback the data, they were played back using the original voices of those recorded except that one time. The rest as he sais it.

Asside from the fact that they hired a different actor in the Japanese dub to do it and Welker did a completely different voice than any other transformer and everyone accepts it as been the voice of ravage and that been the only case that this happened?

EDIT: Dub doesnt mean continuation. Dub is the supplanting of voices from the original with Japanese actors. They dont change the script at all, just the language and the voice actors we are still talking about S1.

EDIT2: I messed up the Jungles, the episode wasnt chaos but the quintesson jurnal but Ramhorn didnt talk in that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Altered Prime

actually you're very off on that

Very often in translating episodes, whether English to Japanese or Japanese to English, Scripts get altered in small or great ways

You're good on the rest bud

• Like Like x 1
  11. pilot00

When you mean script you mean the dialogue or the general Scenario. Cause I meant the later. In any case you are right again.

12. Altered Prime

I mean both. sometimes simple dialogue changes are all that get done .In other cases you talking about re-rights to the story in which that you wouldn't even recognize it for the same episode if not for the animation

Male characters become females and vice versa very important and mystical objects become energizer bunny batteries and minimal power boosters

The issue pretty much covers the entire Spectrum

13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

You're half right. I know dub doesn't mean continuation. When I said the Japanese portion of G1 that includes dubs not just the continuation.

Also dub unfortunately doesn't mean that only change the language. The Unicron Trilogy is an English dub of Micron Legend, Super Link, and Galaxy Force. Galaxy Force wasn't even suppose to be part of that same continuity and Nitro Convoy was a male character. She is Override here in the U.S. Plus Convoy being their version of Prime, we didn't even bother making the characters Primes like they were in the Japanese version.

Granted that's a different series all together but my point still stands that giving Ravage a voice actor in the Japanese version of the cartoon to talk has nothing to do with the American version. All the animal cassettes are known to talk in the Japanese version, and more than once. But you're expecting me to believe that Ravage talks in the American version but only ONE TIME and you're presenting a Japanese voice actor as evidence? That doesn't work. Unless that Japanese actor speaks English and also voiced him in the English version it means nothing.

Look I had this same discussion years ago. I don't recall hearing any different voice but I do vaguely remember Sounwave being hooked up to the Decepticon's computer. It's the only ever happened once as well. Normally he just plays back the tapes himself but this one time he was hooked up to the computer. So maybe it was the computer talking? The Autobot's computer talks, so not unreasonable to assume the Decepticons have the same technology.

Another thing to consider, even the robot cassettes don't talk once they're in cassette mode. We never hear animal noises from the beasts while they're in cassette mode. And this one time that Ravage supposedly talks he wasn't in beast mode. He was clearly repeating information that he got from the Autobots which all the cassettes have been shown to do multiple times and no one ever accuses them of talking. So what makes this time so different from all the other times?

I don't and accepting it as fact doesn't make it fact. By your logic because most people accept there is a God then there must be a God. Pointing out that people accept something as true doesn't prove that it is. I asked for evidence of this claim not for you to repeat the claim itself.

That's actually proof that it wasn't Ravage. If that was actually his voice we would hear it all the freaking time instead of his beast growls but we don't hear it all the freaking time, we heard it one time when he was playing back stolen information from the Autobots which suggests that it's no different than every other time in the series when a cassette plays back information they stole from the Autobots.

So again I ask what evidence do you have to prove that this was actually Ravage's voice? The only thing in here I can see that you could even claim as circumstantial evidence is that it was Frank Welker's voice but Frank Welker voices a lot of characters. Soundwave and all his cassettes are all him. If he was only known for voicing Ravage that would prove something but when you're voice actor has a resume as long as his (He's voiced more characters in G1 than any other voice actor in the entire cast, including a bunch of random background voices.) with that reputation even proving that it was his voice doesn't prove that the voice was meant to be Ravage.

We're also talking about an 80's cartoon with a lot of errors including voices occasionally coming out of the wrong character's body. And this as you said is a one time thing that happened which could mean it was a simple mistake.

There's a lot of possibilities here that seem a lot more likely than Ravage talking for the first and final time in the entire series. So you need actual hard evidence to convince me that every other possibility is wrong.

14. Altered Prime

then your auditory recall ability is poor and your memory "vaguely" as faulty

The voice Frank used for ravsge was pretty far removed from the others he used in tge tf series

And soundwave was not connected to any computer or anything what so ever.....he was just standing around
    Transformers - More Than Meets The Eye Part 3 - Video Dailymotion
    wrong again

Eject (or Rewind) was known to speak while still in cassette mode inside of blaster.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

I love the Combiner Wars toyline, hate the Machinima web series.

• Like Like x 3
  16. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

This is gonna sound weird because its more of a nostalgia factor. The shows I liked as a kid like Armada, Energon, and Cybertron ended up being my least favorite shows when I look back on them. Aside from Armada Starscream, some of the toys, and Unicron, there was no other impact that the TF anime trilogy left in me. Nearly all of the animation was severely dated even by the times standards, the dubbing was stilted and rushed to speed up the localization and rush the toys out, and the plot elements were unoriginal. The only thing I remotely liked were the Unicron battle episodes in Armada and the final battle in Cybertron. Lori and Alexis ended up being my favorite guilty pleasures for TF humans as they act so different form the usual humans that the Transformers run into and they get some laughs.

TL;DR Liked the Armada Starscream and Unicron toys, thought that Lori and Alexis were okay humans, but I hated the trilogy as a show on how rushed it was.

And I'm gonna say it, I did not like Animated. I didn't hate it, but I felt indifferent to it. I thought the idea of Optimus being a young officer but then gradually becomes a Prime was boring. It's the underdog story, Optimus is a big dreamer with a big heart, he's gonna go all the way despite the odds and prove his worth that he can be the best the galaxy's ever been. It's been done to DEATH. His characterization was also very much the same as G1 Optimus or even Prime Optimus so it felt hard to connect to his struggle to be recognized when nothing changed except for his upgrades. Why was he not officially "Prime?" Because his jerky partner back in the day accused him for his own faults and high command is totally inept at facing Decepticons. Why did the Autobots when the Great War many years ago? Also Sari got on my nerves wayyy too much even watching it from the start. Give Lori and Miku credit, they at least stay out of trouble when they recognize they're in over their heads. Sari gets too involved even with her magical MacGuffin key that solves everything. The only thing that I did like about her was her backstory. It's one of the most original things I've seen with a television show geared towards kids, with the iffy part being how she
    magically gets older
    in Season 3 with little explanation.

TL;DR- Animated is overrated and cliche to me, but I liked Sari to a degree and loved the Leader Megatron toy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

In regards to the part about Sari, that didn't really need an explanation. It was pretty obvious what happened. It's really no different than when the Matrix turns Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime. He also gets older (notice that Rodimus is taller and has age lines on his face.)

Actually the iffy part is that in episodes prior to her being revealed as a robot she was proven to be completely organic... multiple times... An alarm that detects organic life was set off when she boarded Ultra Magnus' ship. A virus Blackarachnia created that rapidly ages organics turned her into an elderly woman. It also makes no sense how she got her human alt mode when transformers normally turn into perfect copies of whatever they scan... so then why would scanning a black haired adult Issac Sumdac turn Sari into a red haired little girl? She's the only transformer ever to scan something and not look exactly like it. Well until RID2 where they show the Autobots being able to scan things just for a color change rather than a new form. Of course they had to be taught how to do this and that's a different continuity... Anyway in animated even Bumblebee look's like an exact copy of the car he scanned... which some how gets destroyed in every episode... the original car not Bumblebee. He even got the police siren which is not actually a part of the car itself but was inside the car when he scanned it. Another iffy thing is that in Animated the only way Transformers are shown to have organic alternate modes is threw horrific accidents or experiments, not by simply scanning something organic. So basically Sari is the exception that breaks continuity of the show simply by existing.

But why she ages when using the key to upgrade herself is not part of the things about Sari that make no sense.

Also why use spoiler tags for a show that's been off the air for eight years? I think if anyone hasn't seen the show by now that they're never going to. Also if anyone does want to see the show this late after it's run ended, the only way to avoid spoilers is to avoid the internet entirely. I think spoiler warnings only apply up to 2 years after a series has ended... and even that's kinda pushing it. I was going to say one year but then I remembered that the Doctor Who spin off Class aired last year everywhere except in the U.S. So if I said one year then I might find myself getting spoilers from over seas about a show that for me hasn't even started airing yet. Anyway, spoilers aren't meant to last forever. At some point people just need to accept spoilers because they wanted too damn long to see stuff.

18. pilot00

I dont even understand what the convoy/Prime thing is about....Regarding the voice it has to do a lot: The voice was intentionally different because the character was different in the script.They used Welker in the US cause 70% of the cast there was voiced by Welker. If they wanted it to be a relay of SoundWave or SoundWave himself he would have sounded like the DR Claw as he did everytime they did it wrong (if by your reasoning was an error). You can argue all you want about it, but thats the case. People are even arguing that SideSwipe,Wheeljack and Sunstreaker were alive after the movie but if you take a look at script, they are in the dead list.

As AlteredPrime said you unfortunently remember it wrong regarding the connection. Soundwave was connected to a player in the movie to playback lazerbeaks data, and again Optimus spoke with his voice (as throught the series all data are replayed in the original voice). He is also right regarding Eject and Rewind speaking inside blasters compartment again in the same episode Ramhorn Spoke.
    What makes it a different case? I told you multiple times: Mainly the reports we listen to are Lazerbeaks and Ratbats (which are voiceless) are repeated in the original voices of the one been evesdropped. Mainwhile Eject, Rewind Ravage and Ramhorn are the only ones who can do so in their own voice.
    In the end if Ravage was not to speak, but he wanted to relay data he would use Teletraan 1s voice (which was done from a different actor) to do so, since those are Teletraans files.

Regarding the God arguement no comment, to even go to that grounds is silly and out of scope of this discussion. I have provided you with many things you seem to want to ignore with little in the way of rebucking them. Optimus prime also used a one time ability and that ability has become a signature ever since (energon axe) and it was not 'a simple mistake'.

Also regarding convincing you is not the arguement here. I actually dont need or care to convince you. As I said majority of people fall behind that in fact it was ravage due to all the reasons I talked about and which dare I say, you simply dismiss because they dont suit you. Which in the end is fine since we are discussing head cannon and you can believe whatever you want.

19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Convoy is the Japanese equivalent of Prime which means that according to Galaxy Force Override, Metroplex, Scourge, and Evac should all be Primes since they all held the Convoy title in the Japanese version... and Override Prime should be a dude.

Why would playing back a recording mean that he has to sound like Soundwave. It's never Soundwave's voice when he's playing a recording. Also I already said that I never claimed it was Soundwave who was talking. Why do you insist on trying to argue against a point I never made in the first place?

I said that Soundwave was playing back information that Ravage had recorded. What part of playing back recorded information do you not understand. Neither one of them is speaking, it's a recording.

Those aren't the only characters. Jazz and several others also died in the movie but are in fact also alive after the movie. If you look at the characters in the background and the Japanese series several dead characters do in fact show up out of no where with no explanation as to how they came back to life. Looking at the script for the movie to see who died doesn't prove those characters were never seen again.

Hell in the movie itself there are characters who are seen alive again after they're killed. The Insecticons get killed multiple times in the movie. Someone actually made a parody on YouTube where one of them literally says "Didn't we die three times already? Why are we still here?" Thundercracker and Skywarp are at Starscream coronation which is weird because they were with Megatron during his reformatting into Galvatron. Skywarp as "his Armada" is never seen again after that reformatting scene but Skywarp in his original body does show up again. Thundercracker and Scourge are oddly both in the same scene together despite apparently being the same character... at least if you follow the animation.

Of course it's debated exactly who Scourge was before he became Scourge but being that Thundercracker was the one closest to the camera with Shrapnel and Kickback in the background behind him, I think they were the Sweeps and he was Scourge. Regardless of who is actually who though the point still stands that all of them are seen in their original bodies after they should no longer exist... Well everyone except Megatron because that would be too much of a mistake even for an 80's cartoon full of them. Gotta draw the line some where... and apparently it's making sure that Megatron doesn't magically show up when he's not suppose to exist anymore.

I have him on my ignore list so I have no idea what you're even talking about right now. Never saw his post.

But they never replay recordings in their own voice even when they can talk. They always replay recordings in the voice of whoever was recorded. It wouldn't make sense to replay a recording of a different character in their own voice because that wouldn't be a recording, that would just be someone repeating what they had heard. This along with the fact that it's the only time this ever happens suggests that it's a mistake where the wrong voice came out of the recording.

You provided me with a Japanese dub when we're talking about the American version. Not evidence.

You provided the fact that Frank Welker does a different voice for it. Circumstantial evidence at best.

You proved that "everyone accepts it as fact" which is just repeating the claim not providing evidence of said claim.

You provided that it's the only time it ever happened which actually does more to hurt your argument than to support it.

So yeah you provided me with many things, none of which actually proves anything. It's not that I ignored them or provided little to rebuttal them as you claim, actually quite the opposite. I responded to everything you provided. You provided little evidence because only one of those many things even counts as evidence and as I said above it's circumstantial at best. You might as well have given no evidence at all.

That's different as there's no debating weather or not Optimus has an Energon Axe. It's clearly visible in the episode. But Ravage talking just one time only, and that one time being a time when he's in tape mode inside of Soundwave giving information he stole from the Autobots. That sound exactly like every single other time in the series when a cassette has been inside of Soundwave giving information they stole from the Autobots which makes this one instance of it being a different voice seem like a mistake. It's not a one time ability like Optimus' axe, it's an ability we see in almost every gawd damn episode. Claiming that Ravage talks in this one particular scene is like saying that Laserbeak talks but for some reason has a different voice every time he speaks. It's not his voice, it's a recording.

Again, I haven't dismissed anything. I've explained why none of it actually proves that was Ravage talking as you claim. And again simply stating that the vast majority believe it's true doesn't make it so.

Also if you don't need or care to convince me of this fact you claimed then why are you still arguing with me about it? There's literally no other reason to have this argument other than to convince me that your claim is correct. You wouldn't be arguing with me if you didn't need or care to convince me. So actually yeah, convincing me you're right is the argument here.

No head cannon is a different thread entirely. This is love hate relationships with Transformers. Speaking of which this argument you claim to have no interest in is getting off topic so why don't you just quit trying or at least create another thread for this discussion because it really doesn't belong in here.

20. pilot00

And how does this tie up to our discussion?

You said the cassetes never talked, and that either its soundwaves voice or he was connected to a player to relay the information. It was neither. So it either it was ravage or a conjecture of your own...[/QUOTE]

I understand perfectly. As I said above, you are making a conjecture. You are supplanting a one time occurance (ravage speaking) with another one time occurance of your own devising (a supposed 'recording' voice). Which is illogical. Why would soundwave have a seperate voice for recordings when in every record he played the original voice?

Jazz never died. He was never depicted dead, he was saved by Daniel and he survived perfectly at the end of the movie. The rest of the appereances with the only exceptions been possibly the insecticons are animation errors and cant be taken into account. Regarding Cyclonus and Scourge thats another topic. But if we want to strech it, both the armada and the second Cyclonus appear in the the five faces of darkness again.Also you need to decide weather we will include the Japanese continuity in our discussion or not. You cant call it out in regards to one subject and in on another. Also if script doesnt account for what events took place.....Seriously man?

He correctly said that Ramhorn spoke in the episode Forever is a long time coming. He also correctly said that both Eject and Rewind playedback their data in cassete mode with their own voices while in cassete mode inside blasters chest in the same episode.[/QUOTE]

See above.

Thats the way you choose to interpent these things, while you are continually making mistakes and look them the way it fits you.

See what I said about Rewind and Eject. You are overstreching the arguement to fit your needs while ignoring things.

I could agree to that final part but not the end. In the end he does talk both in Beast wars the Japanese Continuity and in the Pilot.

Because its a discussion? Lets be real here, you will never be convinced when you say to me that the original script doesnt hold any water right? So no I dont try to convince you. We can agree to dissagree in the end, weather I convince you or not has no bearing on none.

No head cannon is a different thread entirely. This is love hate relationships with Transformers. Speaking of which this argument you claim to have no interest in is getting off topic so why don't you just quit trying or at least create another thread for this discussion because it really doesn't belong in here.[/QUOTE]

I mistook it for the wrong thread. As I said we can agree to dissagree and move on.