Love and Disgust for Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mad Dawg, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

Love - Classics Voyagers

Over the MLK weekend it was at or below freezing and raining, giving me three days of actual R&R to spend at home with my Classics. I had already opened and played with Jetfire because it was Jetfire. I was well pleased, and listed him as my personal greatest Transformer toy released in 2006. This past weekend I played with my Optimus Prime and Megatron. Except for Megatron's cartoonish color, HOLY CRAP is he an excellent mold! Tons of fun, just hard enough to transform, lots of nice touches... The way the scope appears to be night vision and the way his eyes catch even the faintest sources of light, making them glow all evil... Man is he cool! And nothing bad to say about Optimus Prime, either. For posability, he rivals if not surpasses any Alternator. I could pose him on the arm of my couch as if he were standing on the steep ledge of some cliff looking down on a conquered foe, and he doesn't even wobble. Again, not too hard and not too easy to transform. Teamed with my Jetfire experience, I have to say that so far Classics Voyagers have been a real treat.

Disgust - Optimus Prime vs Megatron, "The Ultimate Battle" 2-pack

I also got a chance to finally open and play with this, and never have I seen three such turds together in one box. I had read the reviews here, and just thought they were overly harsh fanboy jibber jabber. Not so. These figures suck, and the DVD is ridiculously cheeseball. Optimus Prime is TOO easy, and has TOO much robot kibble in vehicle mode. Not to mention he is flimsy, and the "punching action" contraption makes his upper body spin with the ease of a counterweight on a long arm with even the slightest tilting of his torso. He looks decent in robot mode if you can forgive said flimsiness, but looks terrible in vehicle mode. Then there is Megatron... Who I think is actually OK in tank mode, but just OK. In robot mode it's like Optimus... Flimsy and unbalanced. And his response to Optimus' punching action... The flailing cannon/claw thing. What the hell is that about? That's not a fitting attack for leader of the Decepticons.

Still, I can't get past this urge to see these figures repainted and with different head molds as Warpath and Huffer/Pipes. I suppose I would actually buy that, even if the molds suck like Taco Smell.

2. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Another warning about the 2-pack, another reason for me to resist buying it. :) 

You've read about the "pull the peg out until it clicks" thing for that Prime's arm swinging thing, right? Just checking in case that was driving you crazy. :) 

3. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

I didn't think anyone would consider that disgusting two pack as part of the classics line.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah that 2-pack is no good.

Actually the DVD was my favorite part of it, and even that was pretty much useless.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pull out the black peg in Prime's back until it clicks, this locks the spinning action from happening and vastly improves the figure.

6. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I dont get where all the hate for the 2 pack comes from, I've got it and find nothing wrong with either figure other than the lack of collapsing legs for Prime. Well articulated and the gimmicks aren't giving me any problems.

...it's in Classics packaging, it's advertising Classics toys, it's listed as a Classics item... Denial doesn't change a fact.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Me neither, but what has surprised more is the amount of people here saying how cool or "not too bad" it is. I picked that thing up @ TRU a few weeks just to look at it, and wow, probably two of the worst renditions of Prime & Meg's ever... and this is coming from someone who thought the Beast/Cybertron/RID/Energon/Armada/etc. lines took the prize for that.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the two pack, and I find the DVD funny (in a way). Cheeseball is a good description. As for OPs and Megs, not the best I've seen, nor the worst. Anyway was the box even marked Classics?

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Ops is rather crappy, but Megs is awesome.

10. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    It's got the same packaging design as the rest of the Classics. Oh and yeah, they're not that great.

11. Optimusfiretruck

Optimusfiretruck Decepitcon Squad Leader

I would say Cheaply made, but fun to play with. I feel life if I broke these toys Ohhwell.

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Nah, Warpath and Huffer deserve better than those molds. :) 

Particularly the Prime figure.... that mold should be taken out in the parking lot and shattered, never to be used again.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Except for his arm, Megs is a decent little figure. No real faults.

Except for the arm... grrrrrrr. What were they thinking? Still haven't quite figured out how to bash the arm into something remotely useful. :( 

Prime... he's one to grow on. Pretty lousy truck mode, no doubt about it. Robot mode on the other hand... once you fix the free-rotation thing on the upper body (I modded mine, pulled out the gears and put in a rubber washer), he's a great little figure. Extremely posable, nice G1 cartoon proportions. The head mold is a bit odd, but I neatly cut the bridge of his nose off with an exacto knife, and now he looks much better. I gave him the gun from my 6-inch RobotMasters Prime KO, and now he's a great little robot-mode-only Optimus!

I didn't pay much for these figures... it's a shame that they require some modding to be acceptable, but in the end, I kind of like them. Which is more than I can say for my Titanium Megatron!

zmog

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Totally agree with everything in the original post. Jetfire, Prime and Megs are some of the best TFs to come out in the last 23 years....while the 2-Pack Prime and Megs are an embarassment.

15. lordsidious001

lordsidious001 Well-Known Member

i liked the optimus prime from the 2pack his truck mode sucked but the bot mode was nice.

16. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    as i stated in the feedback area, i dont like primes bot mode, but his robot mode is cool, nice and poseable, and megatron is a cool g2 homage, though in my collection he's gonna be called megastorm (after the japanese beast wars character) and if you keep megatrons arm attached the same as it is in bot mode, his arm is one big cannon, kinda shockwaveish....but the dvd is stupid...but whatever, i didnt expect a knockmeouttamyseat dvd....

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I would, and do, and think both of the figures are great. They have faults, but so does the almighty Jetfire. I dont dislike anything that's been released in the Classics line except for the LOCs. And I dont even dislike them, I'm just not interested in them.

18. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

Forgot to mention that the feet on my Megatron were backwards and switched. Had to fix it before I could transform him correctly. Way to go QA department!

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I really like the 2-pack, I like the tank Megatron even better then the bigger one that turns into a gun, and while Prime's alt-mode looks like ass I really like his robot mode and the amount of articulation it has is great for a figure of that size - actually the same goes for Megatron - I really enjoy this set, and my kids liked the DVD.

20. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't figure out all this hate against the two-pack. Just make sure that the black peg on Prime is pulled back (it has to click into place, and you really have to pull on it), he's no better or worse than Robot Masters Prime. In fact, I like him a little better than RM Prime, cause you don't have to change hands to mess around with the weapons. Megatron is alright as an homage to the G2 version, but I do with he had a right hand.

I actually like the DVD, cause I've been able to show it to both my parents and my girlfriend, and neither of them are interested in Transformers. At least this way they have a little clue as to what they are in for when I drag them to the movie opening.