Lost TF database...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gen. Magnus, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    My laptop HD crashed a week or so ago. My "TF Want List" d-base was on there and on my hand held. Sadly, the version on the palm did not have the equations to calculate my monthly expenditures. I can not remember how I did it the first time, sadly. I will attach a screen capture in a moment to show how I have it set up so I am not attempting to describe everything.

The algorithms worked something like this, however. The numeric value cells in "L" referenced the dates just above them in "L" (set manually). Each also "looked" for instances of the same string in "D". When found, it would take the corresponding value in "E" and add it into the value for "L" and continue searching "D" for additional instance of the same date string and continue adding those corresponding values from "E" so I had a running monthly total that would change as I added and subtracted entries.

[​IMG]

Does anyone have anything like this so I can restore my d-base to its former glory?

All of the numeric values that are in "L" are done by hand right now and have just been zeroed out until I can correct my algorithms.

All that is further below what is shown on the screen capture is a grand total area and additional months.

Also, I am sorry about the size of the image but I wanted to make sure I was showing everything.

2. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Anyone? I know some of you are hardcore into Excel.

Oh, and *bump*.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This may help.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excelF.htm

I could probably figure all that out, but that would be like, ya know, work.

That, and I don't have Excel installed on my home computer.

What you want to do doesn't sound extremely difficult, but wouldn't it be a lot simpler if you left out the date referencing and just used simple addition algorithms and output the data to specific cells?

For example, just add the data from E4-E9 in E10 and do the same in L6. I don't see the need to make it any more complex than that by adding date referencing.

EDIT: Oh, I see why you need the date stuff, you have each TF line under their own headings. I got confused since all the dates were the same under each heading, but I can see how they could be different in the future.

4. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    I'll take a look over there. Thanks.

Yes, the dates in each sub section are ususally filled with multiple dates, not the same ones. Right now it just happens that each subsection has the same dates within. Last month, however, would have shown that under 'Classics' there were releases for Dec-06 as well as Mar-07 (and I still had a Dec-06 off to the right).

This is all done so I can see, at a glance, both what I am spending on each line as far as what is to be released and what I am spending each month.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

=SUMIF(D:D ,"Jan-07",E:E)

6. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Excellent, it works. Thank you!!! You are my f'n hero!