Lost Planet (PS3) to include 5GB installation

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Boardwise, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Link

Faster loading times are always a bonus (though I didn't really notice them on the 360 version) however if Capcom continue to have 5GB installs on there PS3 games it's going to piss off a few people.
    Devil May Cry 4, Lost Plant and possibly Resident Evil 5 would take up 15GB of your HD space, and with Sony only having a 40GB model in Europe it could mean people having to juggle installs just to play a game.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Or it could mean people could stop being jerks and buy a bigger HDD and install that.

:eek: 

It's not like Microsoft where you're actually boned if you run out of space.

ALSO; this install stuff is horseshit XD

3. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

console games should not require an installation. it's stupid. what about rentals?

4. McBradders

What about rentals?

I can tell you this; nobody making games, selling games or publishing games gives a fuck about rentals and would be quite happy to see rentals go away forever.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't understand why console games need installations.

Do you still need to put the disc in to play after you install it to the HDD?
    I don't know what the PS3 owners gained by installing Devil May Cry to the HDD. I heard it was faster load times, but the load times on the 360 are so short they are not even worth mentioning.

Seriously, this completely puzzles me. It's a console game -why do you need to install it? After I installed Final Fantasy 11 on my 360 HDD I decided I would never install a console game again.

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

could this possibly have something to do with blu ray drives not being able to stream data fast enough? they are pretty new tech and 60 odd gigs is a lot of info to browse through.

i know Drakes didn't install anything, and it was optional to install Ninja Gaiden.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It just seems odd.

One of the things that I think the PS3 did right is the size of the hard drive.
    I think Microsoft was very forward thinking in some of their plans for the HDD on the 360, but less than forward thinking in the implementation of their plans. They cripple a lot of the functions by the drives' small size and prohibit me from upgrading by the absurd price of the larger drive.

Even the smaller 40 GB PS3 drive seems nice compared to the 360's 20 GB drive. However, if games go the route of requiring an installation PS3 owners will quickly be in the same boat as 360 owners.

At 4 to 5 GB per installation you have run out of space after 7 games.
    I know PS3's make it easier to install a new drive, but most consumers are not going to want to.

8. McBradders

To be fair, this and DMC are the only two games (so far) to -require- the install from the disc.

9. smangerbot

i think the install for PES2008 wasn't optional.

10. McBradders

o_O 

11. smangerbot

thats what she said.

12. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never had a problem with space on my ps3, and I install every game that allows it, including dmc4. I hardly ever use the 360, and I've run out of space on that thing a half dozen times.

You guys make it sound as if it's not possible to uninstall the game data. It is. Which is separate from your save game data.

And seriously, how many different games are you really playing in the span of say, a month? That have installation options, let alone require it?

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I have a 60 gig and still have installs sitting around I should delete since I am not playing the game right now. That is always the option. I usually only rotate through 3 games at a time at the most anyways.

I don't think a forced install is the best option, but slowing down loading is a good thing. They should just keep it optional.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Awesome!
    No I am not.
    I am trying to get educated on the need to install a game on a console.
    I understand the need to install on a PC.
    It seems a contradiction in logic to install on a console.
    What is the benefit to the gameplayer and does that benefit outweigh any issues that might arise -like memory management.

Does the average consumer know that they can uninstall if needed?
    Will they want to? Will they ever need to?
    I am just looking for information and don't see anywhere that I have cast a judgement -only considerations.

More than 10 -especially considering that my kid plays games, too.
    Games that have a required installation? None.
    I'm just pointing out that if more games go this route then memory space might be an issue.

Again, I more concerned with finding out the benefit gained by the installation.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind them at all. i have plenty of room and I like the smaller load times, and if games can stream textures quicker unlike the strange was LODs on Mass Effect, than I definitely don't mind. That's my only complaint about that game. Since MS makes it to where you cannot "require" a hard drive, then a lot of developers have to stream the shit from the disc and you get the Normandy's name appearing 5 seconds after take off. For such a pretty game, that bugs the shit outta me. the HD is there, so take advantage of it. 40,60,80 gig are enough. And that's because mine is loaded with music, demos, PSN games and TF animated episodes, among others. It's annoying, but not when I start playing.

16. smangerbot

i'm with smasher, console gaming should be quick and easy to jump right in.

'uninstalling' a game could be annoying, what if you decided you fancied playing a game you haven't loaded up in a while, and had to wait 20 mins to install? P.I.T.A.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it had to be done everything then I'd be really annoyed, but since it's only once, I'll live. It really doesn't bother me at all, unless I had a 20 gig HD that had to be cleaned out every week, or if it was something I had to do everytime. I agree with consoles not being PCs and if they ever became that I'd get into marbles, but this improves the performance of a plug and play game and it is only done once, and I have yet to reach the limit on my 60, and I was planning on replacing the HD soon anyway, so that won't be an issue.

I agree with that being an issue for younger gamers, but honestly, most gamers now, even the youmguns are pretty damn smart and figure this shit out quickly. They have the internet as their tool afterall... And this web site, hehehe... and hello kitty.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Oblivion, while not doing an install, does put 5GB of game data on your hard drive whether you like it or not. luckily the game doesnt delay one bit because of this. the first time you put it in the system, it plays right away.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah Val's right, and it's not the only one. I went in an cleaned some crap from old games on my PS3 and there is a folder right below the saved-games that stores all of the installed crap. Some of them aren't so bad, but Oblivion was a big one. But yes, it's unseen. Oblivion just runs from the get go.

My beef with consoles being like PCs was never about installing. I had a bigger issue with developers releasing broken games and then fixing them in post. I hated knowing that I was buying a broken game outta the box.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    See that is what I am trying to get my mind around.
    Is there a benefit?
    If Mass Effect required some kind of install (or at least had an option for it) so that you didn't get the graphics building themselves as the game was playing that would be cool.
    However, Devil May Cry and Lost Planet suffer from none of that on the 360 so why does the PS3 version require one?

Forgive me if I am stuck in the stone age, but I do think that console games should be quick and easy -no driver updates, no verifying Direct X, no installations.

I guess it doesn't help that my first experience with installing a game on a console was the Final Fantasy XI Beta.
    I spent over an hour filling up half my HDD on the 360 to play a game that had PS2 graphics and no voice support.
    I had no idea why I couldn't just use the DVD to play the game.

And (while I am being long winded) I am not clear where MS stands on requiring a hard drive to play games.
    Burnout Paradise needs the HDD to play online.