lost planet initial thoughts (xbox360)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by peeman, Jan 10, 2007.

1. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi i don't know when this is out in the US but i got my copy in the uk today and thought i would post some thoughts

From the get go its very gears of warish and looks awesome the story is good and some of the gun battles are very good in the single player, it looks very nice to. Also some of the mechs are awesome there are some that transform into cars and one thats like a spider and then transforms into a tank which is by far my favourite, certainly its very good

Nowwww onto the bad and unfortunatly the more i played the game the more i found. Firstly the turning and movement its not a big issue once you get used to it but its still very weird and i really don't get why they went with that method, its very slow to turn which means if your getting shot at from any of the 270 degrees your not facing your in trouble.

Secondly the single game got a little dull even by the second mission, i walked into a chasm bit and got blindsighted by this enermy that curls into a ball and rolls around, after fighting about 5 of each off in the last few areas i had been to *sigh* this got a little depressingly tedious

Then theres the thermo energy thing where you need to keep thermo energy which you get from killing the enermy, unfortunatly this seems to fulfil no purpose except making sure you have to kill most of the enermys you see to keep your energy up and just gets a little tedious really

Lastly live seems ....... i dunno a kind of hurried cross between mechwarrier , starwars battlefront and gears of war with no parts coming accross well, the maps i played in were generally quite big , also multilayered which is good but there sometimes a little to big so unless you can find a mech (although to be fair theres quite alot) your often stuck wondering round (i don't think you can run) in a giant map seeming to get nowhere while everyone with mechs shoots you to bits

ok thats a wrap and my mini review seems very negative, thats because theres only so many ways you can describe a solid single player game, and thats what it is, granted live is a poor mans version of gears of war (which can get boring at times to) but in reality this is a good game, should you buy it? hmmmm i wouldn't pay full price for it but if it was on sale its worth getting i think. would give it about 77%-83%

hoped you liked reading

MAJOR EDIT: rating continues to drop the more i play this thing i would rate it about 70 now after mission 3 involved about a 15 minute treck accross the snow with no idea or clue of where i was going and it turns out i had to go round to a particular side of a building to start a cutscene DOH, this is ridiculous now, never has the opening few scenes of a game impressed me more than lost planet and yet every time i turn it on now it just seems to get worse

2. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    I've got it pre-ordered, should be out here on Saturday I believe. Looking forward to it.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review d00d. I enjoyed the demo; however I might wait until someone I know gets it so I can play the full game before buying it, based on your report.

4. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Did they take out the feature where the bumper buttons make you turn 90 degrees? That was my method for turning around fast in the demos.

5. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Actually, stores should have Lost Planet on Shelves on Friday. I guess the game is shipping tommorow to most places, that is if they dont get it early friday.

I also have the CO version on pre-order since December. I hear the figure is rather nice.

6. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes that still is in there (the turning thing) i never played the demo though so i wasn't used to it i assume if you were it would be ok .

Like i said single players ok and there are some cool mechs that transform its a good game but probs not worth the full price, however in the uk some supermarkets have started selling games with about 20% off on release day as loss leaders (about £40 instead of £50) and that price it might be worth picking up

hope that helped

7. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

i got it on yesterday (www.shopto.net) 36 quid inc postage. the presentation of the game is great, and allthough the levels and characters are really well animated and detailed there is little slowdown. some of the game play is jaw dropping(wait till level 3 you will see) im playing it on normal and it is a nice level of difficulty. not too easy , maybe a little punishing sometimes but fun nontheless. i dont see how it can be compared to gears exept for the fact that it is 3rd person. this is all out gun blazing action as opposed to the cover usage in gears. there are 11 or twelve missions with varying enviroments. i havnt played it online but i cant wait to do so as im sure itll be good fun. id give it 8 out of ten. only problem is the length of the single player.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm glad to hear about the lack of slowdown; that was something that concerned me about a couple of parts of the demo.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Thanks for the information.

I was impressed enough with the demo that I think I am going to buy it this weekend.

I got a $40 Best Buy card that has been just waiting for this one.

10. Skywarp_TPK

Skywarp_TPK Harbringer of the MegaDub

While I greatly enjoyed the Demo, I won't rush out and get this game. I will be waiting for it to go on sale.

11. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Dumb question, it'll support normal TV's right? I'm thinking about picking this one up when I get my 360 in a few months.

12. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    I never know anymore whether the date they give is the ship date or the date it'll actually be in stores.

13. eatwood

eatwood Well-Known Member

thanks for the info, i was thinking about getting after reading your review made me don't want to get it.

14. Savanna

Unlike Dead Rising, Capcom fixed the text so its still readable on a standard tv.

I only found out because my friend pre-ordered yesterday, got the figure, and was told they shoudl have there shipment early friday. I did mine online so I never asked at a store.

15. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh dear didn't want to be the bearer of bad news lol you might like it, its pretty good just not great sort of a 7 or 8 out of 10 game, try renting it

16. Savanna

Finally got my copy, and I love Mutliplayer, and am having fun in single player.

Transforming VS suits are so dam fun.

17. Savanna

Just gonna add a little extra since I have had 2 days on it now.

Single Player, not hte longest, but I would say for the better. Goes 11 Cahpters, some alot longer than others. On Mission 3 if you take done just 1 of the many Worms, you get an acheivemnt, and you can get one for taking down a huge Moth(best on Mission ). The Graple Hook is just to much dam fun, and seems to work better than it did in the SP demo, maybe a tad better than the MP demo. The Last Battle in the game is striped nearly straight out of a launch PS2 game(and its sequal). Few hard spots on Normal, heard its rather Insane on highest difficulty. After completely a stage, you can later pick it thru Stage Select if you want to hunt for something. Oh, and teh VS suits, ther are more than a few styles. Normal armor type with a normal jump, same as before but with Binders on the back to let you float a bit, one that looks like a old Dino Head with a small body, that can Double Jump, or Super jump, and pretty fast. Little squaty thing with only 1 weapon allowed, but transforms into a fast moving Snowmobile. A tank that has a Cannon, and 2 spikes to thrust ahead and attack with, that can change into a 4 legged pyscho with Cannon and Laser Vulcan, with a limted Jump and Hover ability. And lastly probley the best, a heavy armor, fast moving, good jumping, fast hover, 2 weapon parts, and a big chain saw you can Melee with.

Online is where it is best. 16 players matches run pretty smooth, only seen 1 or 2 laggers, and they were still not jumping all around. You can now pic between a few different Players types:Eskimo type guy from MP demo, a kinda Samuri(sp) guy with a huge light and a trench coat, and something that looks like a human sized Jawa with horns. Couple skin options for each(looks like you can unlock extra thru Single Player). All Weapons and Mechs from Single Player are Online, with more than a few Maps(Plus 1 Extra map if you got the CE version). For each map, there are 6 differnet Weapon/Item/Loction setups avliable, but just best left to be set on random. Only thing I can fault online with is the always random Team setup(which you can change during loading), and not having the ability to change options within the same room(just like GoW).

I tried to make the typing as best as possable, but I am f'n tired.

18. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Very nice review. I almost purchased this game on Friday but went with another. I still want to try it out. Thx for the heads up.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The game is awesome, but I will be fucked if Green Eyes doesn't kick my fucking ass for 3 hours straight :( 

20. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Has a play on a couple of level tonight and I am currently liking it.

Though all the snow makes me want to go snowboarding :(