LOST... One Year Later

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by AniProwl, May 24, 2011.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    One year ago, they remembered, and they let go.

Can't believe it's been a year since LOST ended. I liked the finale. It was good,but not the show's best episode or anything.

I'm at the end of the fourth season in my first and maybe only post finale rewatch of the whole series. Some of the show material really amazes me now that I know the ending (Hurley's whole journey), other stuff ... not so much (the cabin)

Anyway, here's what the cast and crew have been up to according to this article
    'Lost': Catching Up With the Cast | Photo 1 of 17 | EW.com

Here's a nice anniversary video as well.
    YouTube - ‪[LOST Finale Anniversary] Tribute Video Narrated by Lord Of The Rings' Samwise The Brave‬‏

Just in time for the LOTR tenth anniversary as well.

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    One of these days I'll rewatch the whole thing, but TV has definitely not been the same without LOST.

3. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I thought about watching the whole thing over from the beginning, but it's too soon. It's too daunting a task for me to handle right now.

4. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recently rewatched the whole series, just as amazing as one year ago.
    Seeing it all within a short amount of time made it better, I loved the finale when it aired and seeing it in a different way after this rewatch made it and the whole series even better.

5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I've gone back and watched a few episodes here and there. I miss watching it live and getting annoyed when the hour would just fly by.

I did see though that Michael Emmerson was a voice of a character on GI Renegades. I recognized it instantly and thought that was pretty cool.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was actually searching for the original LOST discussion thread to bring up this same point, so this thread works better.

This show became a part of a lot of people's life. How do you feel about it so long after everything's been said and done?

A co-worker and I were talkin' about it, and we still felt that despite the backlash the ending received, the journey was still freakin' amazing.

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Having digested it, I can honestly say that it was a pop culture phenomenon we'll probably never see again. The first season was, in my opinion, the greatest single season of television ever.

That being said, there were missteps along the way. The time travel aspect was very unnecessary, and they never really recovered from that. The second half of the series spent far too much time introducing new concepts instead of tying up loose ends. I don't think anyone can make the case that the show did a good job explaining things. I realize that's an easy criticism to make, but it doesn't make it any less true.

But nothing can change the fact that about 90% of the people I know watched LOST, and it gave me a lot of good times and conversations with people. I could take 10 shows I watch now, and it wouldn't equal that 90% of viewership among people I know when totaled. So if nothing else, LOST brought people together.

8. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

To be fair I actually think almost everything on Lost is explained through careful analysis of the show. I had a fairly large list of questions about half way through the show and virtually all were answered by the end, just not all outright. It's alot more like a complex peice of literature at times than merely a television show in the way in which it was presented, which is one of the things I enjoyed most about watching it. There are alot of things that are left open to interpretation in some respects but I do beleive that the puzzle peices are presented to us to be able to explain things. I enjoyed putting the peices together myself and solving questions based on the available information much more than the few times the writers just beat us over the head with a clear cut answer to something. However I will admit to being a bit of a Lost fanatic and rewatched the series numerous times in order to get to that level of understanding of it, it's just such a densely layered show in my opinion that you need to watch it again and again to discover certain things. Its kind of a love it or hate it show in that respect, it's certainly not for casual veiwing, but for 6 years I was obsessed with it and no television show before or since has enthralled me in the same way.

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    There's quite a bit that needed explaining and wasn't. The big ones, in my opinion:

Walt
    The Others
    Jacob and his family

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No kidding. We used to have weekly lunches to discuss the episodes at work. No other show to date has encouraged that kind of discussion.

11. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

I often wonder what more it is that people wanted explained about Walt. He was a kid that had parapsychological powers. He just does. I'll admit they never explain why he has those powers, but thats also true for other characters special abilites. Why can Hurley see ghosts? He just can, yet I never see it brought up that Hurley was never explained like people always bring Walt up. perhaps its the fact that Walt left the show so early on and fans beleived he was going to have a bigger role. But it really doesn't feel like anything else needed explaining. You just have to take that leap of faith and accept that on this show these things are possible, the same way an island can travel through time and space. I realize that might not be satisfying for fans that thought there would be some greater expanation but i really beleive that its as simple as accepting that Lost is set in a universe where pseudo-science is real and these things are real and possible. If you can't accept Walt having powers, then the whole show will drive you mad. I thought they clearly explained that the Others/Natives were people brought to the island by Jacob to help him protect the island, and as possible candidates to be his eventual replacement as the Islands protector. This goal was somewhat derailed by the personal ambitions of Widmore and later Ben Linus. I'm also unsure what else needed explaining about Jacob. they showed us everything we needed to know in the episode 'Across The Sea'. The islands protector before him was looking for a successor just as he would later do. She killed his real mother and raised Jacob and the Man In Black as her own, intending one of them to eventually take her place.

12. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I was satisfied with what it explained.

The show never needed every single little detail explained like George Lucas directed it. Imagination and interpretation is still a good thing.

13. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOST is my favorite show, like, ever. Watched it from ep1 to finale. One of the biggest reasons for watching it was because I loved discussing theories with friends. And whenever they turned out to be true I was always like, "shiiiiiieet".. Toward the end though I became more attached to the characters and it was pretty sad to see it end after six years. I remember almost shedding a man tear when Jin & Sun died.

As for the ending, I was okay with it. I was expecting a little more but I felt it ended on a good note.

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Aborted plot thread. There's quite a few in the first season that are just dropped or re-worked (like seeing dead people). Walt was one that was just dropped.

Those chosen by the island to live there.

His mother was the guardian. She stole them from their birth mother and raised them cause her crazy told her one of them was her successor. It's also where the criterion for the true guardian was explained. Being able to communicate with the dead. So smoke monster was supposed to be the guardian.

15. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Still could have been explained.

How and why?

Opinions

16. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Such a great show. So far there is nothing like it, to me, in terms of awesomeness. Some come close, like Fringe, but I just don't get as excited about it week to week.

A lot of people say there were things that weren't explained, and that is kind of true, but the bigger things really have been explained. The only thing I can think of is Walt. What made him so special? Why did he appear in front of Shannon soaking wet? So weird. But anyway, everything else pretty much was explained.

17. GreenChick

GreenChick Well-Known Member

I'm watching "Once Upon a Time" currently. The show's creators were the dudes that fucked up LOST. Praying that doesn't happen here, praying so hard. The core story isn't nearly as complicated as what LOST's turned into. However OUAT's could change into something more drastic eventually. The writers looooooooovve pulling crap out of their phony magic hats.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This Sundays episode was pretty awesome, especially because Emma is starting to realize that not everything is as it seems.

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

They dropped that plot thread like a bad habit. Why would they bother?

Most people would have missed the scene where they explain what the island is. It's on screen for like 20 seconds, when Christian Sheppard gives his speech to Jack in the church. It's on the stained glass window behind him. You can see in it's centre a stylized image of the cave of the light, and light beaming out of it. Onto a Christian cross, an Islamic crescent, a Jewish star of David, a Buddhist Dharma wheel, a Taoist Yin Yang disk, and a Hindu pictograph (I don't know what it's called, and they'd never use a more proper Swastika). The implication in that image is clear. The island is god, or at least it's home. The island chooses a guardian, and the guardian has the power to bring people there. Or make them leave.

No. Watch the last season again. It's one of the few times where they come right out and say something. The true guardian had to be "special" and it's made very clear that the smoke monster was the twin who was "special." Hugo was also "special," how? They could both see ghosts.

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Why? Because the Walt plotline was undeniably a cornerstone of the first AND second season. THAT'S why they should have bothered.

Really? You're satisfied with "The Island chose a guardian, and the guardian decided to bring people to the Island?"

What the Island is and who the Others are are two completely separate elements. The Island, as a concept, is something best left open to interpretation. I have no issues with the amount of explanation we got about the Island.

But with the Others, there was virtually no explanation of who these people were, why they were selected to come to the Island, why they were so violent, and the mysticism surrounding them. Or how they had so much money. Or why they spent so much time off-Island, if being on-Island was so important. Instead, they just kept introducing new characters, missing many opportunities to provide background.

I'm not suggesting the concept of "the guardian" needed to be explained. I'm specifically talking about Jacob, his brother, their mother and their adoptive mother. For example, how and why Jacob appeared to the Man in Black as his younger self, when the MIB was in the form of Locke.