Lost Odyssey

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Socialvegetable, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Anyone else playing Lost Odyssey? I got it for Valentine's day, and I think it's my favorite "traditional" JRPG in years. I'm aboard the White Boa for reference, which doesn't seem to be all that far in.

So far, I love the art style, and the very traditional turn-based combat system. I think it's pretty smart how the immortal characters learn skills from their human comrades. It makes sense, as they'd be picking up new ideas and strategies over the centuries.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game, and was wondering who else is or isn't for discussion's sake. Also, if you're going to post spoilers, be kind and hide them please.

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I'm still pretty early in the game, but i'm just damn happy to finally have another RPG for the 360. It's not too bad so far either.

The dreams are pretty damn depressing though.

3. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'm not in love with this villain yet, but the story is still barely developing, so there's hope yet. Yeah, I have about 7 or so of the dreams, and they were all pretty sad, but they succeed at giving the player insight into Kaim's experiences without awkward dialogue. And they're pretty well written and translated to boot.

I passed up Blue Dragon after only playing a few minutes worth of the demo, but maybe one day I'll pick up a used copy or something.

4. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just picked this up a few days ago, but i won't be playing it for a bit. I've heard things about it that appeal to me, even if sometimes the people saying it have said them in a negative light. It's my brother's 360, so I haven't played any of the other 360 RPGs yet. I've heard Blue Dragon was ok, that it was a copy of Dragon Quest but not really as good. I've heard Enchanted Arms pretty much sucks. And I've heard Eternal Sonata is pretty good, but it's still kind of expensive and I wanted to play Lost Odyssey first anyway.

Right now I'm playing DQ6, actually. Woo.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lots of people I talk to keep telling me I'll love it, knowing my devotion to Final Fantasy. I will buy it, but damn, the Christmas season has left me with a surplus of games, an I have been burning the midnight oil playing through them. I'm currently going through Metroid Prime 3... anyways, Lost Odyssey is next.

6. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'm a big Final Fantasy fan as well, and I think you'll love this game if you like those. It's the same formula with new characters and gimmicks. I'm getting a sort of FFVIII vibe from Lost Odyssey, which is good, because I love that game.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Looks pretty good, err well...for a jRPG I mean. If I had any interest in the genre at all I'd probably check it out. As it stands, the only jRPG I really care for is Legend of Dragoon. But doesn't look bad at all, and if I ever find a deal on it I'd likely pick it up.

8. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I loved Legend of Dragoon. I really need to find a copy of that game.

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I still have mine somewhere..though my friend lost my...either second or third disc. Pissed me off a fair bit, since I can't finish my replay of it.

God that last boss took me all day to beat when I was younger, like literally ALL DAY.

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i think it looks interesting and something that i would play if i had a 360....

11. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    (Suppresses urge to comment for about 2 seconds)

Legend of Dragoon was probably the most formulaic RPG ever made. It had pretty much every cliche of the genre it in, there was almost no room for customization, you pretty much had to play it the same way every time you played it, barring doing those annoying timed attacks more or less, not that I could play it more than once. It had almost no personality, except for the admittedly well done designs. Anyway.

And I'm not even going to start on FF8, because so many people here love it for whatever reason. All I'm going to do is dare them to read this all the way through: http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/FF8/

Uh, oh yeah, this is supposed to be about Lost Odyssey...um, ok, personally I hope it is nothing like FF8, because then I would have wasted my money, and Odin Sphere, although that was a thoroughly disappointing game so it's no big deal either way.

So yeah, that was a bit of a rant.

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Eh, it's hard to call ANY jRPG anything but formulaic. At least the combat system was..y'know, INTERACTIVE. And again, it's a jRPG..of course you have to play it essentially the same way every time through. The genre is built on being linear, throw gameplay to the wind and play through a pseudo-interactive movie.

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    There should actually be a rule, just like no politics and religeon, that you can't discuss which FF games you like and disslike. I've argued the aspects of 8 to other FF games to plenty of people. No reason to start a fight. Schide, you asked in the other thread why we liked FF8, and we answered. Does it bother you we derived pleasure from something you did not? In addition your link takes us to a walkthrough that picks on the game while it does. Yet, that's what the website specializes in and pretty much covers lots of great to bad games. That's just their thing.

14. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, I just kind of had to say my piece because it had been festering inside since that other thread. I doesn't bother me that you guys like it, that's cool, but that also means I can't state why I don't like it. However, I don't actually want to start a discussion of that here or anywhere, the link was more because I read that today and found it absolutely hilarious, and just really wanted to post it somewhere. So yeah, if you like FF8 don't read it, but if you don't like it or are indifferent, and either like or don't mind SA humor, it's really funny and you should read it.

I dunno...there are just certain games that I've played that when I see people say they really like it or it's one of their favorites, I just kinda go, "WHY?!?". And c'mon, everybody has that reaction sometimes to certain things, right? But anyway, HEY THAT LOST ODYSSEY CERTAINLY IS A GAME THAT I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO, EY WOT?

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, I tend to feel that way about games that tend to be some of the singularly most overrated things EVAR (Final Fantasy VII, Halo...anything, etc.)

16. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Understood, but I can actually find things funny if they're picking on something I like if it's well written humor, which was hit and miss. Anyways, you are right about everyone having something they have to stand up and say "what!?" to when hearing about favorite anything. And like I stated, I am so used to people dissliking FF8 that I generally don't argue in any way about it.

But anyways... on topic, uhh... Lost Odyssey looks good, but I do get bothered often with character design that has parts that make little sense. The main character their is armor laiden, besides his exposed mid section. Why? I have no idea- sex appeal? Really don't think that's necessary. FF12 was a huge culprit of this.

Everytime I see a halo get a perfect socre, my soul dies a little.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    *looks at Fran*

They could have done better...

18. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    There is little excuse to have a bunny woman in S&M garb as a character, besides needless sex appeal. Otherwise though, we had Vaan who wore a ton of leg armor... but nowhere else. There were also several soldiers for different regions really inconsistant. I feel there should be some more thought in the designs. Basch's clothes made perfect sense- torn up soldier garb, and Balthier's clothes were very consistand, and the judges were great. Ashe... I don't even know where that outfit fit in with the rest of the world. Sorry, I really liked FF12 but this always bothered me. I keep getting off topic, sorry!

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    You say that as if its a bad thing..

I'm just gonna go on the record and say that I have always felt Vaan is one of the single worst designed FF characters EVER. Really...I know Squeenix likes their girly men, but that is just fucking ridiculous. Really doesn't surprise me that the protagonist of XIII is a chick...

20. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    There are many places and purposes for scantily clad bunny women, I just don't want one of my few party members in an FF game to be there soley for that reason. She had character and story, but the design was just too blatantly sexual for me to take her as anything butt that.

I think Vaans character design was bad, but I still say that he takes a major backseat in the story after a few hours in. He seems to have only been there as a poster boy to make the Japanese teen scene squeal (just a guess, I just can't see another reason). So I just say not to let him stop anyone from playing an otherwise great game.