Lost my PS2...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bryan, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

...in a burglary, along with damn near everything else.

I never really played it--only had maybe ten games, and never finished any of them except Transformers and God of War.

Anyways, insurance will pay for all the replacable stuff, and I don't intend to buy a new PS2. But since the only game I'd even consider getting in the future is the Transformers movie game, I'm thinking about a PS3 (so I can play both TF and GoW games) if the TF game reviews are good. That's pretty pricy, though, so I'd want to forgo a DVD player and just use the PS3 to watch my Netflix.

Anyone have any opinions on that? The PS2 worked as a DVD player, but wasn't exactly user-friendly for that purpose. Is the PS3 any better? Or would I be spending entirely too much for a single game?

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    If all you are really looking to play is Transformers, then you could concievably repalce your PS2 since it will be on that system as well. It will also be on the XBOX360, which (if you get at least the $400 model) will still play DVDs.

In short, there are cheaper alternatives to the PS3, unless you MUST be able to play future God of War games (I'm in a similar boat, I'm a Ratchet and Clank whore but find it hard to justify the $600 pricetag)

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the PS3 is a better DVD player than the PS2 was. video and audio quality is better than the PS2, there's more options for every single feature as well. and HDMI output = yay.

of course, the 360 is a damn good DVD player too. But it doesnt have God of War, so...

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How's the interface, though? I bought the remote for my PS2, and even then, kinda thought it was a pain in the ass to watch DVDs on compared to a regular player.

Ehh, either ways, I'm probably gonna just stick with a regular DVD player, and buy the game to play at a friends or on a rental. Thinking seriously about spending that much money, either PS3 or 360, for just a game or two made me realize there's smarter options.

And maybe I'll come back to the PS3 when it's half what it costs today, and there's a another TF movie game or two in conjunction with sequel films.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the interface is just fine with the PS3. I dont have the remote for it though. controls are the same as PS2's DVD player with the controller, with a few additions.

6. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

If you have a HDtv, the PS3 also upconverts the DVD to 1080p over HDMI.

Interface is easy to use, just like the PSP interface.