Lost Light #9 iTunes preview

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by T.F. Allen, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I like this theory, but I'm a bit lost. You're saying that the BBC teamed up with Scorponok, and this caused war to break out between them and the GC. The GC subsequently got hold of Overlord as a countermeasure, and each has been going after The Magnificence?

I'm also not clear from this issue how The Magnificence works as a Resus Cradle.

Maybe my heads a bit woolly today, but I can't quite seem to get at all the longform plot stuff that's been subtly interwoven between all the high jinks in this issue. We have the Skorpy reveal, but he's not been an impressive bad guy so far in IDW - he's the closest we've got to Sunbow Megatron, hatching evil schemes that keep getting thwarted, whereupon he curses his foes and beats a hasty retreat. We have The Magnificence, but we need more specificity on what it can and can't do in order to understand the implications. I admit I don't really understand what Skorpy's plan is, or why he has to murder all the blacksmiths.

No change in my feelings on Anode and Lug - just ... roadblocks to enjoyment. Nautica forgetting how she felt about Skids was a striking touch, the surest sign in the issue that Roberts still has his touch. The rest of the Nautica/Velocity plot was kind of Transformers: Friendship is Magic, and of course, it relied on the bad guys being incompetent goons.

Still something I'm happy to follow, still hoping the book can be a lot better than this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They might not both be after the Magnificence specifically, but they clearly each want to crush Cybertronians into a defeated slave race and a thing that literally knows everything is a hell of a means. As would being able to build new Cybertronian slaves that can turn into a million things and self-repair.

I mean, the Magnificence might not be a magic resurrection machine, but it would know how to build one.

Killing off blacksmiths is a means to an end--they are not needed any longer but they still have info. Opsec.

• Like Like x 1
  3. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Plus there's the element of "if Scorponok kills all the Blacksmiths then everyone has to come to HIM to repopulate."

Recall his grand plan for the Machination was "false flag operation that simultaneously discredits Skywatch and makes his own Headmaster army indispensable for Earth's defense." A low level scheme as far as his ambitions elsewhere go, but along the same line of thinking. It's far easier to do whatever you want if the other parties are dependent on you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Other than Maximum Dinobots, what should I read to be caught up on Scorponok's appearances and plans so far? Never read much of the Furman era.

5. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Pretty much everything from Infiltration to Maximum Dinobots.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Infiltration, avoid infestation if you can haha

• Like Like x 1
  7. Calvatron

Calvatron Active Member

The infiltration, escalation, sl ultramagnus, sl grimlock, monstrosity, mtmte 7/8, and mtmte 45/46 are the main ones related to Scorpinok himself, but the indirect plots and context are woven through out the whole of idw's work.

8. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Last Stand of the Wreckers is where it was said that he was out there on the loose as well. I do wonder if the Shockwave is the Magnificence theory will be brought up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    GOD I HATE THAT GUY WITH A PASSION THAT COULD RIVAL THE GRINCH he ruined a perfectly good buildup simon furman had put together in the earlier years of the idw transfromerverse and killed off my favorite character hunter o'nion for no other treason then to be a sick sadist ghoul.

• Like Like x 4
  10. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Yea, and apparently it took a lot of work to get what they wanted to know out of it in Revelations.

I do wonder how they lost it... stolen during the whole chaos of All Hail Megatron, perhaps?

Interestingly if it does have 'Monkey Paw' like side-effects, then Rodimus would know about it, but Scorponok may not...

And no doubt that was phase one.

Once Earth relies on him for defense, then he's either taken over in all but name or can do so at any time, and he can proceed to build an army of Headmasters that would be a very significant force (at the time, no-one else had access to reinforcements to speak of). Maybe he'd use it to launch a coup of the Decepticons, or become a third faction, or who knows? But he had something like 40 Sunstreaker clones as-is. Imagine having hundreds or thousands, and of more varying models.

11. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Whoa, wait a sec.

What was UNDER Garrus-9...

Now my brain's entertaining the idea that Fort Max was in on it all. He DID have Flame and Scorponok in his prison...

• Like Like x 1
  12. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Wait...what?

• Like Like x 1
  13. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    So The Magnificence is what was under it?

14. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

He's only lost twice in the modern era (plus once to Megs waaay back in the day). First on Nebulos, where he fought and retreated from Ultra Magnus, then the second time with the Machination, which had a number of successes under it's belt, decapitating Sunstreaker and almost killing Hot Rod. It took a fair amount to beat him there.

Agreed the Magnificence needs more info, but that's always been needed.

Making new forms of Cybertronians has been part of his MO for awhile. He has something of a Darwinian 'make things stronger,' thing going on, so his experiments are a bit on that end.

Basically the way I see it, after his loss to Megatron he realized he couldn't take over in simple brute power, and turned to science, and has been trying different routes ever since, with creating new forms of cybertronian- loyal to him, of course, being a potential route to making all his enemies obsolete.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The device Shockwave used, empowered by the various Ores in Dark Cybertron looked to much like the Magnificence to be just a coincidence.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh wow... so maybe the Magnificence was what made Aequitas work? That would actually make sense, and would explain why Overlord wanted it so much.

IMG_5578.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Soleron

Ebay:
    wow so next issue's cover is ANOTHER homage to that JLA cover? that makes this what? four times now?

18. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Hm, I wonder how the photonic crystals play into all of this. After all they seemed to be a prominent part of Drifts vision. If Scorponok has succeed in making the ultimate lifeforms, then why would he need crystals.

19. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am looking forward to next issue and I heard they are making progress.

20. rikkomba

rikkomba Retired Minicon Guru

I think the Magnificence is one of the worst plot coupons ever made, and I was NOT looking forward to seeing Scorponok again. Its IDW incarnation is the least interesting ever, even TF: Zone had a better interpretation.

• Like Like x 1