Lost Light #8 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lothar Hex, Jul 26, 2017.

1. GoLion

GoLion Sé que me estás robando

News Credits:
    People should read about the Doll test. That study/test is a very telling example of how we interpret what we see in media/entertainment. The worst part is that the results are barely different today than they were 60 years ago.

Don't get me wrong. I don't subscribe to every notion that... some folks put out there, but representation, and its implementation, in media/entertainment does matter.

Now here's the thing: If I hadn't made a statement about representation and its impact a little while ago, I never would have read about it and its impact on society. I'm still not a fan of the shaming tactics that certain sites use, but I'm glad that I was able to learn a bit about that situation and correct some of my misconceptions about representation.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

False dichotomy, Rodders. There's no either/or here, but a complex sliding scale. Sometimes people submit to limitations for money that they otherwise wouldn't have submitted to. Other times they do it under pressure from peers, or influence from people they trust. In the past, some artists wouldn't even have had a concept of 'consenting' to limitations, since they would have grown up in a culture where the idea of artistic freedom was complete fantasy. You also have people obeying rules that they don't even know they're obeying, simply because of whatever is the norm in their culture - you can't really say such people are actively 'consenting' to be bound by those limitations when they just haven't thought to work outside of them.

All of it has very little bearing on the quality of work produced. Shakespeare produced pretty much everything he wrote in a society where you couldn't use artistic works to criticise the ruling monarch - where you, in fact, were somewhat compelled to write work that was supportive of that monarch's right to rule.

I conceded right away in this argument that to some extent it will vary from person to person. So no, it's not the case that they 'must' share secondary/physical characteristics with the reader. It depends on what facets of your identity are foregrounded. But the evidence strongly points towards the fact that most, say, black people are not allowed to forget that they're black - society throws it back in their face all the time. So for them, that 'physical' characteristic is a more prominent feature of their identity than being white is for a white person, and therefore it's more likely that blackness is an important part of their ability to identify closely with a fictional character.

3. ze collecter

ze collecter Brotherhood Paladin

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I didn't like it. Anode and Lug (the most annoying characters since G1 Wheelie) took the spotlight of two characters I genuinely enjoy. I am interested in flame coming back. I'm gonna have to read LSOTW again. I love that Wipe-Out is getting some love. At least this issue progresses the plot two. I honestly think based of the series alone that Skids is coming back which I don't actually mind. Overall I give it a 4/10. Progresses the plot but too much spotlight on Anode and Lug.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Certified Mama Luigi

So we have the knights plots finally getting some progress but is pushed aside by the resurrect skids plot. Which will end badly. And even that's pushed aside for more Anode and Lug. Which takes up more then 75% of the book. How many issues does this series have again? Because it feels like Roberts is just wasting pages trying to get to that 100 issue number.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Late to the party, but seems like we learned quite a lot about the Knights in this issue... namely, that they might not be that noble/virtuous after all, since one of their factions is the sinister group experimenting on organics and Cybertronians back in the Scavengers arc... and now murdering blacksmiths, apparently.

Also, does anyone think the "Grand Architect" might be an alias for an existing character, maybe one that IDW hasn't used before? (Grandus, for example, although maybe that would be too obvious.) Very curious to meet him next issue, anyway.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Now I feel stupid. Didn't make that connection. I actually did not think about that issue of the Scavenger arc anymore... I know we learned a lot about the Knights this issue, but I totally lost THAT. Maybe if there weren't so many side stories and we would go a little straighter to the Knights of Cybertron, maybe I would not forget such things. Probably that issue is more than 1 year ago, am I right? Don't want to google that right now. I'm at work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After some googling of my own, it was issue 46, which came out November 2015... close to two years ago, haha. The two mysterious bots who showed up at the end are the ones I'm thinking of:

IMG_5466.JPG

They're part of the group that ambushes Anode and Lug at the end of the current issue, with the same faction symbol. Hope we actually learn something about them & their goals in this arc, instead of more stalling/interruptions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Thanks for the find! Now I wish that the interesting plot points weren't so far apart... :( 

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

They are one of the Clans of the Knights, if what that ex-Decepticon has said. I guess is so to have an antagonist/evil faction with the Knights of Cybertron. I would not be surprised if Star Saber and Tyrest align themselves with them.

• Like Like x 1