Lost Light #8 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lothar Hex, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Decepticon

News Credits:
    So that was an inoffensive issue. But again, nothing really happened did it? Aside from finding out Nautica has been keep Skids' brain in her eye socket which is creepy as all fucking get out.

I mean we have the possibility of Skids coming back so I guess that's cool?

Honestly can we just get back to the quest now?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    You're kidding. Can Roberts let anything last?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Decepticon

News Credits:
    I'm more inclined to believe this is a "deluded false hope" scenario.

4. Nook

Nook Well-Known Member

I knew I won't like this issue and I didn't at all.

Another tumblr oriented issue and... possible Skids return, really? REALLY???

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't imagine Skids is coming back. This seems more like a) a way to say goodbye to him properly, which "Dying of the Light" didn't really provide, and b) given the huge mytharc connections at play in this story, some kind of tie-in to Skids's experiences back in #21.

• Like Like x 3
  6. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I hope Skids stays dead tbh. Is there much overall tie in to wider narrative arcs in this issue? If not I was going to skip tbh. I'm reading stuff about the knights that's making me think it probably isn't all that much of a throw away issue though?

7. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    It's all mythology. Even the protagonists are non toy characters (except Nautica). Looks like some follow up to #21 and #46 may be in the offing.
    I miss Getaway.

8. Whisky26

Whisky26 Well-Known Member

I would say that this issue is the first issue that is starting to tie the whole thing together. For the first time, the scattered bits of narrative about the Knights, the Symbols that Skids saw, the creeper Worldsweeper The Scavengers (please note the proper spelling) found, the pods of protoforms under Demus's junkyard, Drift's vision, what Caminus has been up to since forever, and Anode are all getting tied in together.

I looooved this issue. It was fantastic and reminded me why I love this book (and its predecessor). Anode's B plot is wonderful. I don't see Nautica's A plot having a happy ending, but I think the attempt to revive Skids will ultimately further the quest.

I have long suspected that when Skids went thru the portal in Remain in the Light, he found the Knights and Cyberutopia. Considering how delightful sidetracked the Lost Lighters seem to get, it makes perfect sense that they would finish their quest having never been wiser.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I'm very sorry indeed to write this, but for me, this was the worst issue of Lost Light or MTMTE to date by some way. It amplifies nearly every single misgiving I have and includes far too little of what I usually enjoy. In fact, as I was reading it, I quickly switched over to a mode of enjoyment I usually reserve for bad fiction, where I'm marveling at just how much there is that irks me.

Roberts is capable of so much better than this - I firmly believe that. I still think, on balance, he's a brilliant scriptsmith and have immense respect for him, but this is as far off his game as I think I've ever seen. Breaking it down into points:

1) There's no readily apparent reason for us to be here at all. MTMTE used to be plot-driven. The characters had motivations and hidden facets, and the promise of any setting or opening scenario was that it would progress a character's personal arc, tease out some of their secrets or bring them closer to their goal. But in the opening pages of this issue, all four characters are dead weight in terms of extant plot. They're just mucking about - or having a backstory filled in that adds nothing to the established dynamic.

It seems like the intended rationale for most of this issue is that these characters are inherently fun to be around, or inherently interesting. But they aren't. Very few characters in this comic are - possibly Whirl. That's the case with most fiction. Outside of pure fan service, the function of most characters is to progress along their story arc. They're not *people* - they're not there for us to just hang out with. Yes, often a franchise or a story has maybe one character who is just pure fun, and lights up every scene they're in despite adding nothing to the plot. But most won't, and you can't build an entire issue around four characters who have no beef, no conflict, no personal goals.

Yes, we do eventually get to Anode and Lug being embroiled in a genuine subplot, and yes, Nautica does reveal an actual purpose to the trip toward the end, but this is way too far into the issue and makes the beginning very tedious.

2) Presumably to make up for the fact that they have no beef, Roberts overwrites Anode and Lug to the point where I actively intensely dislike them. Anode in particular is a complete ass - and it makes precious little sense for her to be so callous with their lives so soon after losing her partner once through exactly this sort of behaviour. And to cap it all, we get Anode's character explained to us through the text, with Lug's hideous "Welcome to life with Anode" bit, which is the fictional equivalent of someone boasting to you about how zany they are or what high jinx they and their mates get up to when drunk.

3) That awful Star Wars trope of an entire planet having a single 'thing', and being pretty much the only planet that does that. Doubled up here, because Troja Major is simultaneously the galaxy's black market and somehow the center of all things death-worshippy.

4) The world-building seems to have ground to a halt. The first three items listed by Agonizer are all ridiculously over-relevant to events we've witnessed, as if the only thing that anyone in the vast multi-cultural universe is ever interested in is Megatron and the DJD.

5) Really dodgy, heavily trope-laden plotting. Anode and Lug escape a bunch of armed guards just by slipping away in full view of them, having conveniently run into yet another new character who we aren't given any reason to care about. Then, after working out their lives are all in danger, they decided to order some extremely heavy liquor, just because characters in bars always have to order the strongest drinks. Then some unnamed and boring-looking villains pull the 'explosive entrance / team pose' cliche, just ... because? I mean, why is that one guy kneeling? Are they having a school photo taken?

6) 'Wipeout', 'Agonizer', 'Rocket', 'Scammer' - Roberts' throwaway characters have throwaway names and it immediately signals that we shouldn't pay attention to them.

7) Raising the prospect of Skids coming back. I don't think it will ultimately happen, but for goodness' sake, just let. Characters. Die. It was poignant when they couldn't change Trailcutter's fate. Rewind was a clever getaround. But Lug's recent resurrection was badly handled to the point where it makes the process seem like magic, and now Roberts is making it seem like death in this fiction is just an inconvenient setback. Here, apparently, is yet another method, even if it does prove ultimately fruitless.

My problem with this is that it seems ultimately symptomatic of the problem I raise in point 1). This book has become all about the characters and Roberts'/the fanbase's personal attachment to them, so much so that he can't let them just die, even when their death would serve the plot far better. Plot is taking a back seat to hanging out with/mourning the cast, which is ultimately self-defeating because I am coming to care less and less about that cast since they don't have any beef.

On the plus side, the discussion about Anode / Lug converting from he to she was well explained and well handled.

• Like Like x 10
  10. mkb128123

mkb128123 Lamestorm

This is probably going to be one of the most decisive issues of Lost Light/MTMTE, it's early days, but there is a clear divide already haha.

Personally I loved it, I've been waiting for some kind of resolution for the Skids/Nautica relationship since he died, and the possibility of him coming back does excite me. Skids had a very sudden death that left a lot of things unresolved: he never told Brainstorm about Quark, nor was there any follow up about him being the only person to have gone to "Cyberutopia". I also love his relationship with Nautica, i don't typically ship characters, but i love those two.

Now, the unfortunate elephant in the room. When i first heard about Lug and Anode being the second transgendered characters in the comic after Arcee, my first thought was that Roberts was pandering, trying to one up the Chromedome/Rewind relationship from s1. But when i read the issue, i loved it! The reasons behind it felt so natural, and they didn't overexplain it, they just felt like being women! Hopefully people don't act up about it too much, but TFW does have a pretty toxic community sometimes. Don't be on the wrong side of history folks.

Loved all the lore, with the "knights" and the Black Block Consortia being fleshed out, can't wait for next week! Also was great to see Wipeout!

Art was fantastic too, I'm not the biggest fan of Laurence's art, so it was nice to have Tramontano for a change. Probably the best I've seen her this issue!

After last month, it seemed like Lost Light had got the MTMTE groove back, and I'm happy to say that in my opinion this issue carries on the trend!

Onwards and upwards!!

• Like Like x 6
  11. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I bought it as it sounded like it had important developments in it and...oh man, I hate being negative but what are forums for except to share your opinion? Here comes the vent.

The jokey dialogue is beyond trite these days. It's exhausting to read and doesn't differentiate characters enough. And you can add character (with better dialogue) without using sledgehammer obvious approaches (Anode is the rebellious one! Do you see?? She's doing rebellious, craaazy things!). More than that though, the dialogue makes me cringe now. It's facile in my opinion.

The whole book just seems to be turning into permanently overwrought melodrama. Every single issue is about heart on your sleeve stuff, epic themes and messages. I like the emotionally engaging stuff *as a general approach*, but if that's all there is it deadens the impact. Or worse than that, you just end up rolling your eyes when you read it. Have pure action episodes. Self contained stories.

I was talking about the UK issue 'Prey' the other day somewhere. Sure it fit in to an overall story but the thematic lense shifted. It was a self-contained arc which contained different elements- straight forward hunter/hunted action on Earth, a character issue for OP, then the dystopian resistance stuff on Cybertron. Light and shade. Colour. Excitement. Character. LL seems like a flat line by comparison.

The Skids getting resurrected stuff was more overt than the comments here led me to expect. Let him be dead. And not in a "Nautica gets to revisit her grief to draw a line under it" way. Let it be as brutal and sudden as it was. Not because "that's how life is" or some such , but simply because that would be more interesting and refreshing at this point. Please James, less strained melodrama. Please.

As for Anode, she stole stuff then basically baited the guards until they killed a new lifeform. Slow clap. I don't have a problem nailing down why I'm not warming to her. She's obnoxious. Not "oh she's loveable really" obnoxious. Just obnoxious.

I hate being negative and I usually really make an effort to balance negative and positive (read my previous posts before just dismissing me as a knee jerk anti-Robertsite) but really this is getting dire for me.

Vent over. Sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

I didn't love or hate this issue, but I'm seeing a lot of people complaining that it didn't move the story forward and we need to get back to the main quest... when this is the first issue since pre-Dying of the Light to actually be about the quest. Confirmation of the Knight clans, another mention of the Grand Architect (who may or may not be Flame, apparently), and more clues to what the larger myth arc is than we've gotten since MTMTE 46 - not to mention more on the Black Block Consortia. I mean it wasn't an amazing issue, but that particular complaint rings very hollow to me.

I don't disagree with most of your points, but Nautica says right off the bat that Rodimus sent them there to find a replacement map to Cyberutopia, and failing that, get information on the Knights. Nautica in particular has mentioned dealings on Troja Major, so it makes perfect sense for her to be there.

As for Anode and Lug, after 8 issues, they finally have a reason to be in the story as a direct tie-in to the Grand Architect and the Knights. This is something that really should have been more directly hinted at earlier, so at least these characters would actually feel important for a reason rather than have Roberts push them on us like "Look at these new quirky characters! Don't you love them? Of course you do!" Too little, too late for me to actually care about them, but I did also like Anode's bit about changing genders and how it didn't feel forced at all.

Agonizer has been name-dropped before by the Scavengers, so I'm not sure I would call him throwaway. Wipeout is a pre-existing character (with a toy!), though he probably will be thrown away pretty soon, if I had to guess.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Whisky26

Whisky26 Well-Known Member

I was really excited about the treatment of Lug's and Anode's gender identity. I had no idea it was coming before I read it and it is so very authentic. I have been constantly fretting about the direction that Barber was taking Arcee (the whole Arcee character arc of how she seems to be making "peace" with her gender combined with the inferences/retcon that she asked Jhiaxus do aid in her transition has been really concerning to me and I am not sure I trust Barber to resolve it authentically). It is really nice to see James seamlessly insert two trans characters whose trans status isn't even that big a deal.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I agree with Stryker. This issue is the first one in awhile where it felt like, now we're getting somewhere. Plus, now Anode and Lug feel relevant to the story now.

I don't think Skids is going to get resurrected, he's just going to get a proper goodbye.

And the reveal that Anode and Lug were "transgender" was done so causally. And that's the way it should be done.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    In fairness, to add positives to my vent yes, I agree that the issue does indeed move the plot forward. And the transgender stuff seemed to be done well (not being transgender myself I will leave others to comment more on that).

To add another positive actually, I liked the change in scenery and the tie ins with the wider universe. That adds a little blip on the otherwise flat line of rehashing melodrama that LL/MTMTE seems to be becoming for me. It just feels like LL/MTMTE as an overall body of work is increasingly stylistically stale and hackneyed.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Then I don't know if this is my fault or the book's, but I completely missed that - buried in all the 'banter' and backstory. It would have been nice if the very first page had set this up cleanly. And even then, it's a very thin plot point to balance four different characters on.

In the Hedonia episode, billed as a pitstop, you still had Cyclonus and Whirl, with their unresolved tension, stationed on the same planet, right after one of them deliberately tried to assassinate the other. You had Tailgate and the mystery around his *real* function, following on from his failure to disarm the bomb and suspicious manner around Rewind. You had Magnus, the uptight one, joining them in the bar. All the ingredients were there for who-knows-what to occur. We go into the story knowing that it would only take a catalyst - like, say, drink - for any of these issues to come to a head.

The problem here is these guys, they're all just mates, and they're all squeaky clean, aside from Anode being a thief, which again isn't established until some way into the book.

I'll grant that as the story goes on, contrasting motives and tensions are established - but this plays out like issue 1 of something, rather than issue 8; it takes ages to find its feet.

17. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Certified Mama Luigi

Might be my mexican blood but I really don't give a damn about the trans thing. Anode and Lug are still terrible characters either way.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

This was pretty much a set-up issue. Roberts dropped a lot of different plot-points that are going to be developed during upcoming chapters and in that regard it was enjoyable, the solid character work and reveals were enjoyable (I guess this means that Anode and Lug are officially Trans-Transformers).

I was more interested in Nautica's development though, I don't think that Skids is going to be revived and to be honest, I don't think I want to. I was genuinely surprised about how little I cared about his death considering that I liked him as a character. I think this is one of those cases where Nautica will learn a lesson about how life needs to go on.

Tramontano's artwork was surprisingly good here. Not a huge fan of her but her style matched the tone of the book nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  19. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    A quickie observation - I guess we now know at least one more member of Shockwave's hand-picked crew.

Specifically,
    Flame - who we last saw during the Aequitas trials (no way he didn't end up in G9). Which naturally begs the question of "what did Shockwave have to gain by having Overlord release Flame and Grimlock in addition to presumably Bludgeon and Monstructor (who I assume got released by Shockwave and then went back in time to AHM-era)?"

• Like Like x 1
  20. Omnondippy

Omnondippy The duly appointed enforcer of the Tyrest accord.

though skids is one of my favriote characters ever (i mean like top 5) I don't actually want him to comeback. his death was done so well and his story ark had ended. having him back would make the death seem less and pointless for the most part. anyway that just my opinion. I think this issue was bad. boring, needless and no character development.