Lost Light #7

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AnomusPrime, Jun 28, 2017.

1. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

I don't know which was more heartbreaking for me: seeing Cyclonus coming apart at the seams because he's unable to part ways with Tailgate, or Kaput going kaput at the hands of Fangry offscreen... The latter I think, since it follows a similar pattern to Trailbreaker's death. We've got a character who has the potential to make the in-story world just a little bit better ("You're wasted as Director of Security." "Yeah, but I used to just be wasted.") killed off and taken out of the story too soon ("...please, just put down his brain"). In all likelihood, Kaput's death won't impact IDW's continuity in any big way, but just the knowledge that a professional like him will never be able to do the Spark-related research that he was so eager to is a big downer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

Some of the best moments in comics are when so much is said in several panels even though no text balloons or boxes show up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    I fall into the camp of not a fan. To the point where I'm fairly glad these first 7 issues are SO self contained that I can try to just focus more n how things go from now on. The Magnus material is an ok concept but one that erases the shades of grey this book relies on. And the Tailgate ending...made me realise how out of love I've fallen with the character. A year ago, my reaction would not have been "huh" and "so will he be back this season or next". I don't care for who he morphed into, or the neutralising of his powers (adding to the general season 2 mostly doesn't matter anymore). I'm just kinda glad someone who was out of control is now out of the story. Not to mention I was basically thinking "wow. Flowers grew. He's been there AT LEAST a few weeks". I'd also say Lawrence's art took a noticable step back in places. Particularly the Cyclonus end scene. The pathos of the scene is undermined by the vuisuals making it look like his mascara is running. Comparing it to the way it was executed (not the style but the execution) back in S1, it's just goofy. I mean I love Whirl's moment but I can't say the scene worked as intended.

I'm very surprisingly falling into the crowd of "this was a weak ending to a troubled opener". I'm also bothered by how much it essentially makes S2 irrelevant. Megatron's import to the story is excised, the Cyclonus Tailgate relationship is removed. Of the MTMTE plot points still relevant from S2, Getaway mutinied because Rodimus is an irresponsible captain. Meaning if you hadn't read anything bar the pretitans return arc and S1, as if this second you would have lost out on very little.

I don't know. I rated the opener as 5/10 as it was a well written but very flawed arc. This issue then relies on emotional investment developed over that arc, which in my case didn't and therefore the emotional beats almost complete miss. I'm not sure how to rate this one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    While I definitely don't agree about Tailgate becoming Primus there's definitely been some, quite blatant, foreshadowing of Rung being one of the Knights of Cybertron. There's every chance that this might extend to other members of the core cast too. So maybe Tailgate...

Definitely agree on this one! Seeing Rodimus used in such a positive manner was really quite refreshing.

It's an interesting one. The script goes to equal lengths to say he might die or that he might be stuck in there forever. Part of me wonders if we'll see attempts to get Tailgate out where they're fully expecting him to be alive only to remove a corpse from that hole.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Agree on both.

With Tailgate I wasn't so much "that's horrific, I'm so worried for his fate" as "that's horrific, brilliant! I hope that's that wrapped up".

• Like Like x 2
  6. MaxGoof

MaxGoof Preordained Soul

News Credits:
    Calling it now: After millions of years of isolation, Tailgate becomes a psychotic evil despot a la Element Lad in Legion Lost, and the time-traveling Lost Light crew has to take him down. We've had time travel to the past and traveling to alternate realities, so there's no way we're not going to get an eventual time travel to the future story.

7. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Along those lines, it'd be crazy if Necroworld ends up being Cybertron transported to the past, essentially putting Tailgate in a time loop.

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I really donĀ“t believe he is staying there. This book has had a lot of fake-outs for minor characters.

9. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

I'm kind of on the fence about Lug and Anode. I mean, I love their designs, but they're not the right characters for this comic. Or at least, their introduction and story so far is just so clumsily inserted into this comic that nothing would really be lost if they weren't there. If they really must be there, I feel like it was a missed opportunity having the revived Lug just be fully grown in no time at all, and remember everything about who she is...They even note that it was a possibility that Lug may not have even remembered any of that. It would have been more interesting for Lug to form slowly and it become apparent that she doesn't remember her previous life, or any memories she has are vague and she doesn't have the same personality. At least that would make them a little more interesting in this story.

I don't really like how everyone just assumes Megatron ditched them on purpose. Like, after the guy demonstrated willingness to die for their sake, after Minimus saw just how committed he was to trying to do the right thing on Functionist Cybertron (correctly stating that he doesn't think it was about avoiding his "trial"), they all just seemingly collectively decide that "Oh he was scum all along and just used us as a way to escape punishment." Now admittedly we only got Rodimus and Magnus' opinions on it, but the fact that no one objects at all is strange.

Tailgate ends as he began, buried in a hole. But this time he might not emerge alive.

I don't really feel very strongly about this one way or another.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

My only concern when I saw Tailgate being buried was that he'll come back. I really don't like him.

Reading this thread, I've been disappointed to learn the the next 2 issues will focus on Nautica, Anode and Lug. I find all 3 to be boring, uninteresting characters and if Tailgate actually dies, I hope they'll be next.

When MTMTE started, Roberts showed his talent for making obscure bots like Swerve, Skids and Whirl really interesting characters.

However apart from Rung, I find his original characters to be bland. I'd much prefer he started using obscure characters again if he could work the same magic he did with Swerve and co.

Heh, if Fangry continued to convince every one he was innocent of the disappearances, I think it would be a nice twist if he and Cyclonus were shipped.

11. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Anode's a perfectly fine character concept, but in an already over stuffed arc, there was no place for THAT MUCH FOCUS on a completely new character, while pre-established ones like Roller and Terminus (or ya know...Megatron) are very unpresent in the story. Plus the resolution has been confirmed as the reader wanting to think Anode earned her happy ending...I would ask what at this stage, after almost no development, Anode has done to encourage the reader that she deserves a happy ending. Narratively, it's like Riptide being given a big finale moment in early S2. Riptide's fine, but who is he to this story? At the time, no one. In both universes, the story wants you to SUPER invest in Anode, in a story ostensibly about removing the most significant character from the previous 2 years, and with a huge plot focus on the other pillar character going off the deep end due to an obsession. As well as key characters Tailgate, Cyclonus and Whirl. Yet Anode gets bizarre amounts of character focus, and literally the best possible scenario ending because...there's a presumption I care enough about her at this point that I think she deserves it...in a story where Cyclonus got ripped apart trying to stop Tailgate accidentally killing himself...no.

Anode's conceptually...fine, but I honestly don't think she could have had a more...mixed introduction.As for Lug, blank slate. We literally have never seen the real Lug bar a couple of pages.

I'm not crazy about her being a focal coming up. Nautica and Velocity have had so little to do this season, hope the focus is on them.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

• Although actually I think that they're just normal flowers, it would have been lovely if they were sparkflowers that grew in the wake of Kaput's death. It would imply the responsibility even the medic had for some deaths. Maybe by saving people who went on to kill. Opens up a lovely ethical discussion right there.

• The prickly relationship between Brainstorm and Nightbeat. Only teased on the first couple of pages but this has got so much potential. The one who demands explanations v the one who does the impossible. I'd read a spinoff of just those two. Maybe Brainstorm will finally get over Quark.

• Anode has become god. What she did for Lug was even more powerful than Unicron's reformatting of Megatron in the Movie! She has the power to literally resurrect dead Transformers. Yes as Chris McFeely points out, at the moment it's only in a very specific set of circumstances... but that can be ratcheted up later. That is going to interest all sorts of crazy types in many different ways. Drift is going to go nuts once he thinks through the implications. Ratchet, Star Saber, even Pharma... But the fun part is, she's a god who doesn't believe in religion...

• I respect an author who never, ever, ever sets something up without coming back to it eventually. On Necroworld now are a mutant Tailgate getting bombarded with intense radiation (something very Dark Phoenix about that), a hollow planet with a moon inside, the now-revivable sparks of billions, a time travel briefcase and (unless Brainstorm took it with him) a wand that can teleport through dimensions. Whether or not they mean Tailgate = Unicron, Roberts has certainly summoned them there for a purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

And to stick with that quote, he didn't summon Megatron ;) 

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Maybe we will see Functionist Universe Tarn cross over to the main universe whenever Megatron returns.

15. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this but I think we need to keep an eye on Kaput. Some suspicious shit's going down with him. Check it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    There wouldn't be a Tarn in the Functionist Universe.

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It makes me sad no one is giving Megatron the benefit of doubt. Like, no one is like "Megatron might have been attacked and we have to go back and help him". It's all "he did this on purpose". It really shows that even though Magnus claimed he trusted Megatron, he really didn't.

18. gregles

gregles quintesson

We are talking about millions of years of being a despot which included loads of deception and atrocities verses roughly a year of trying to make amends so it's sort of understandable but from a viewers point of view it does seem kind of unfair given all the efforts that have been made.

• Like Like x 3
  19. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, it seems that the betrayal hurt Mims so much he couldn't even walk in the Magnus armor. I mean it was that bad, he obviously really trusted Megatron. So, yeah I agree it's a bit unfair. I, of course see how they would automatically assume the worse, but after the initial shock , I would think someone might say "hey what if Megs is in danger".

20. fishpop

fishpop Squishy

Ebay:
    <------ HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO HIM!!!

.....Tailgate..! :'(

• Like Like x 2