Lost Light #4

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by The Madness, Mar 28, 2017.

1. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    Another issue comes and goes as we inch-forward into the Functionist plot and the mysteries contained.

A short list of highlights:
    • Many people will have their suspicions confirmed in regards to character relationships and interactions.
    • A rather rigid interpretation of a moon's function will be employed to justify the use of Luna 1.
    • The condition of truce with the BBC is in question.
    • The Council's Alt-mode is confirmed. Good to see as the kibble-less characters may have seemed a little hypocritical so far.
    • The drill is confirmed as Rung, however questions remain as to the amount of tampering that has been conducted and Rung's true functionality.
    • More references to Rung's 'bright spark' and implications that it relates to a greater purpose.
    • More Co-captains shouting at each other.
    • Some parallels to Chaos are more apparent.

While I agree that Lawrence's Artwork is better defined than in previous issues, I still think that the work is comparatively naive to Milne's. It lacks the intensity, scale, and malevolence of Milne's work, which limits my perception of threat in the story line. Character expressiveness during banter is well done, however the stories continue to look "softer" to me.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Leopard5

Leopard5 Human in disguise

News Credits:
    Isn't it supposed to come out tomorrow?:confused: 

3. The Madness

News Credits:
    Yes :) 

4. Leopard5

Leopard5 Human in disguise

News Credits:
    Then there's only 1 one way you read it... WITCHCRAFT!!
    (You probably just got it earlier)

5. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I mean, obviously it's not the same as reading it, but it sounds like not a lot happens despite "things happening."

I'm really feeling like 6 issues for both opening arcs of OP and LL was a mistake.

6. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It had been awhile where I make a trip to Comic book store on Wednesday. I am looking forward to it

7. Prime Wylde

Prime Wylde Candy Coated

News Credits:
    Books can be read and reviewed a day early because comics arrive a day early at shops in many cases.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Wait, so the Functionist Council Members
    DO have altmodes?

9. The Madness

News Credits:
    It's probably my emphasis, but micro-cliffhangers seem to be dropping with high frequency. It seems the final two issues will take the brunt of reveals and resolutions.

I wouldn't quite say alt-modes, but they're certainly attempting to perform their alt-mode function.

10. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was what people said for almost every arc of the book post Shadowplay, and IMO every arc to this point has taken the same feedback pattern:
    * arc starts off slow
    * people start saying, "Is anything going to happen?"
    * others say, "I thought something *would* have happened by now"
    * some others say, "Well, we've got two issues left"
    * then the ending hits and most people say, "Well, this sucked" =)

I've already sat through enough of these arcs to know how this will turn out, I fear. =)

11. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I'm on record as feeling much of the criticism of mtmte season 2, specifically the latter half, seemed to be holding the book to an unrealistic if not impossible standard.

Buuuuut with how shaky ll has started, and (for me)the continued issues with art both quality and ethical, I feel like Roberts NEEDS to stick this landing.

12. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So, like I do every time, I read this just after midnight GMT when it came out on iTunes and, just like every time, I was underwhelmed on the first read. Then I read it again this morning and reconsidered. While this remains very much a 'middle' issue, lining things up and moving the plot along by increments, it was a top notch character issue.

The argument between Rodimus and Megatron was a really good piece of writing, with them both being wrong and right at the same time. Their voices were beautifully distinct and true, right down to Rodimus forgetting his words because he's so wound up; a really solid bit of observational writing that I enjoyed far too much. I also loved Minimus's minimal contribution. In fact I'd say the extended dynamic between Megatron, Magnus/Minimus, Rodimus, Drift, and Ratchet is one of the things that keeps bringing me back month after month. It's an excellent little character loop.

Whirl and Cyclonus! Anytime those two have a substantial interaction it stands out as a highlight. It's often Roberts at his most subtle. Two characters who cannot articulate their feelings working through massive, massive feelings together. Writing that helps me get a little closer to putting my finger on why the Lug and Annode stuff doesn't quite work for me. MTMTE #47 was, for me, one of the highlights of 'season' 2 due to the dialogue between Whirl and Cyclonus and the inherent struggle in it. Annode and Lug just blurt it all out.

So while this was very much a middle episode we got some revelations. The Key to Vector Sigma! What's really been happening to Cyclonus (very close to what a lot of people have already guessed at). I'm also left with some big, frustrating questions. There's some significance to the panel of drill piece smashing. 'Our' Rung is significant by his absence in the Necroworld scenes, so what's going on with him? What's the real story with the Black Box Consortia deal?
    and three cliffhangers!

While, yes I miss Alex Milne massively - not least for his definitive Cyclonus and beautiful pre-war Cybertron, Jack Lawerence is doing good work. His characters, Whirl in particular, are showing a real subtlety of expression and the story telling is clear and well executed. Something I feel that's really missing with Kei Zama over on Optimus Prime. Kei draws great stand alone images, as demonstrated by those super high detailed covers, but I find the panel to panel work muddy, cluttered and awkward to follow. Jack Lawerence definitely knows how to tell the story through the pictures.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Nggggg...I just still have a problem with Megatron. Back in one of the pre-Chaos issue in a discussion between him and Prime he said something like "do you have to try to be this sanctimonious or does it come naturally?" And here we are with this Megatron...

The rest of it was tentatively good (as Barry says, my impression will no doubt improve on re-reading) even though I wish he'd dial the humour back a fraction. Not too much, but a little. The Cyclonus and Whirl stuff was good. Looks like the theory someone mentioned earlier on about Anode and Lug may well be correct. Am intrigued as to what Drift has seen and what alt-Rung is about to tell them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My worry about Megatron staying put is growing (loved Minimus's observation of his actions) even though it makes complete sense, and the concern only stems from losing him from the book for a while. My guess is that his stay here will be temporary, a fleeting moment of bittersweet happiness before the (deserved) inevitable comes.

The book shone brightly with character moments. Rodimus at the end.. that was brilliant. Actually brilliant, proper funny. And whatever Drift, Rewind and Chromedome have seen, right now I'm in the dark as to what it might be, which is refreshing as the Tailgate reveal and heavy foreshadowing of Lug's potential non existence haven't really come as any surprise.

An excellent read, my one gripe being so much was going on I almost (the book seemed to) forgot we've lost Ten and Swerve to wherever Killmaster zapped them to. And now he's with them..

• Like Like x 2
  15. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Another great issue. Liked how Rodimus confronted Megatron, although I also believe that Megatron is not really anymore delaying his trial. He started delaying his trial, but I think he really believes in his second chance. Also love how the story finally progresses. The last issues of MTMTE often were just too slow. Still wish the book had more pages, but this is definitely still the best Transformers book. Can't wait for the next issue.

16. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Another lingering question that eluded my first post; what happened to the Functionist Council in 'our' universe and, assuming they're totalled gone, what's the implciations of 'they key to Vector Sigma' not being around any longer?

17. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a good issue. The art is pretty solid, dialogue great, etc. There's a lot positive to be said. Keep that in mind:

I do think this issue has nailed down the growing problem I've had with this book from Season 2 on. It's Rodimus. He either needs to die off or grow up. Season 1 Rodimus had these moments where you could believe he would be a good leader if he'd grow up. He'd have ridiculous moments (The Rod Pod, the Rodimus Star, etc.) but there was always a hope that he'd grow into his leadership and out of his immaturity and selfishness. He's the class clown you see immense promise in if he'd only grow up. He's Ferris Bueller as a Transformer. And the revelations at the very end of season 1, the character growth you see there for Rodimus, it all felt earned and felt real and genuine.

Then comes Season 2. That growth never seemed to materialize. He was again whiny, immature, and those flashes of leadership were few and far between as he was outshone by Megatron and his development. Season 2 ends with Rodimus again seeing the people around him pay for his actions, his growth in the clutch moment, and the hope that this time he will grow. Or it would have if Megatron didn't steal the spotlight in the Season 2 finale.

Season 3 is the new "serious" Rodimus. He's angry about what's gone down, he's take a vow to get revenge (revenge, not set things right), etc. And we get this issue and he seems as selfish and self-centered as ever.

He's like Mat Cauthorn in the Wheel of Time. Cool, awesome, and immature. Until that crap gets old and you realize he's not really growing as a character.

I know Rodimus isn't the star of the book. I'd argue that at this point literally everything else in the book works. But at some point soon, there needs to be a reckoning and Rodimus needs to either grow up or get killed off. He can't go on as he is.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

With this issue, I feel thoroughly back on board. I got to kick back and enjoy the whole thing without too many worries, and some of the character work was excellent. Even Anode served at least as a nice counterpoint to how Cyclonus and Whirl struggle with confronting their demons.

To my mind, the question at this point isn't so much Rodimus but the fact that the others go along with it. At the end of the day, I'm fine with the idea that he can't really mature past a certain point. But now he isn't the de facto captain, and now that Megatron has demonstrated how much more effective a commander can be, I question why most of the cast would be interested in following Rodimus. That question has been averted for a while now because, as it happens, they've had no means of escaping the situation. But once they're back in their own dimension and have a chance to be free agents, I don't really see what's in it anymore for the likes of Rewind, Chromedome, Rung, Nautica, Brainstorm, Ratchet, Cyclonus, Whirl etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And maybe that's the resolution here. Rodimus fails as a leader and everyone calls it a day. But you are right, part of why the Rodimus thing is so annoying is that others enable him to a ridiculous degree despite the fact he isn't growing or maturing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well they never said the Functionist Council was dead, but fell from power and could have gone into hiding.