Lost Light 25: lovely wheels

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rikkomba, Nov 6, 2018.

1. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Well, for me Milne off was the #1 reason.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GoLion

GoLion Returning to lurker.

News Credits:
    Oh, I won't deny that was a HUGE contributing factor. It was. But people didn't like the direction. It's that simple.

Part of that drop off was the quality of the art. The art is 50 percent of the equation when it comes to comics.

• Like Like x 1
  3. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Theoretically (as Roberts said on Twitter) there’s only one outcome that would lead to Rodimus having Megatron’s Rodimus Star to leave at Ratchets grave.

And holy cow, re-reading the above - 6 years ago, can you imagine a world where that paragraph can be written and actually make sense?!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

So uh. What did "The future is behind us" mean? One of Roberts' cryptic Twitter hints. This whole time, I thought we were going to find out who Adaptus' younger self was. But...did we actually get that confirmed? Theory below:

Drift theorizes that his visions of the future were "remembering things before they happened." I took that to be a sly hint that Drift is actually Adaptus. As in, the original-timeline version of Adaptus who still doesn't remember who he is.

5. justiceg

News Credits:
    @GoLion @ZeroiaSD

Without getting into the minutia, I would perhaps argue that the more severe drop-off actually happened *because* of the conclusion of "Dying of the Light", where the decline in writing was already apparent and people had been containing their frustration at Swearth and the dance party. I'm only basing on the gut reaction a lot of people had to the Tarn reveal and the subsequent postings for LL #1 where I recalled people saying, "Well, I gave this a second chance, but I'm off". I'm certainly not saying that accounts for everyone (I mean, this forum is probably 1% of 1% of 1% ;)  ), but I think the combination of:

* the above
    * the way the Milne thing was handled by IDW (and James, I noticed people holding him responsible for that as well)
    * the noticeable drop in art quality when it came back
    * probably starting the comic off with Anode ;) 

led people to conclude it was a good jumping off point for them. Heck, any *one* of those things happening is likely enough of a trigger point for someone to drop the book given how expensive comics are for the entertainment value...but all four?

Hopefully the new series will get more people jumping on than off.

Anyway whatever the reason or rationale for the reboot, it's theoretically upon us, if IDW ever chooses to announce it...=)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. misfire19d

misfire19d Esteemed member of the Order of Fries

Dissatisfaction with the quality of story.

It wasn’t entertaining anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I think part of it was the change in direction \ quality \ however you want to word it.

But also it's fairly well known that in the comic world, long time readers are always looking for a "jumping off" point. And the wrap of MTMTE served that purpose pretty well.

• Like Like x 3
  8. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me it was all the Hasbro shared universe rubbish that came with the re-numbering.

I dropped all TF books when that happened.

I only went back and bought them all a few weeks ago to catch up now that it was all ending.

Man has Optimus Prime and Unicron been hard to read because of the inter-connectivity. What dross.

Lost Light had been a pleasure in comparison. Not great, not as good as MTMTE but far better than the alternatives.

• Like Like x 2
  9. iamtfc

iamtfc Well-Known Member

I've been flipping through some of my favorite issues. I noticed that when Megatron was talking to Rung in issue 28 of MTMTE, Rung asks him to name some influential encounters and Megatron mentions how he recalls meeting Rung for the first time (when Rung was thrown onto the table). I wonder how Megatron could recall him, and if he does so at this point in time?

Also, it's kind of funny when you consider that Rung, at that point, doesn't "recall" what Megatron is talking about.... because at that point, it hasn't happened to Rung yet.

• Like Like x 4
  10. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Am...were...Aerialbots

And you know what, as much as I was still mostly fine with season 2, that was apparent to me as well. Unique character voices are something that are inherent in good writing, which was why it was so refreshing to see them in MTMTE to an extent that we had never seen them before in Transformers. (Outside of the usual cartoon characters where their voice - aka their vocal ticks - is most if not all of their characterization. Beast Wars had memorable character voices, quite literally because of their voice actors. While the show was good, the writing still doesn't hold a candle to Robert's best)

So, it was pretty disconcerting to see the character voices slowly disappear into an increasing mush of quips and snark. But for a while, it was a gradual process. Not every character was immediately effected. From what I can tell from previews I've read of Lost Light (I'm way behind - I haven't gotten a single trade yet), it was at that point, with issue 1, that the "quipocalypse" completely consumed the comic to a point that even a number of longtime fans couldn't enjoy the series anymore. And that's disappointing, because it appears that despite being rushed, James seemingly reverted back to the quality of his earlier writing just in time to stick the ending he'd planned from the beginning. And a whole bunch of former fans will never get to read it, because they have to first make it through 3 trades full of lesser quality writing.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Might have something to do with the fact he was born on Luna 1 and not Cybertron

• Like Like x 2
  12. vatarian

vatarian Wyrmspawn

He states on Twitter in response to a fan question that there’s “only one reason Rodomus would have an object like that” (Megatron’s old star, post trial), insinuating that
    Megatron is dead.

13. justiceg

News Credits:
    I wonder if a lot of this is due to James writing "with the end in mind". Given he had planned out most of the denouement before he had even started, it could be entirely possible that the reason for the uptick is that a lot of the base for the last 6-7 issues had been written back in S1.

14. MatrixBearer85

MatrixBearer85 Well-Known Member

Chromedome finally learned how to pffft

i really liked how it ended, except my opinion towards Lug and Anode being the biggest filler in the whole LL wont change. they didn't matter at all
    we never saw Megatron's alt mode

i dont understand why they forgot Rung.

15. Blue18

Blue18 Well-Known Member

What happened to this half organic/Mech baby? It was introduced now and nothing happened. Then you could have let it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sagitta

Sagitta Nuetral

Was probably why Misfire & Co. were eager to get back to Troja Major. Gimlock left the baby there with the curator the first time for safe keeping. And since the curator would have already been known to the baby---.

Otherwise my guess is the the baby simply was being raised by an "aunt" and a few "uncles".

• Like Like x 1
  17. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I enjoyed this series all the way through I’m sad to see it go but I’m glad it went out on it’s own terms. Thanks to all who worked on this book and all the great and fond memories.

• Like Like x 4
  18. GoLion

GoLion Returning to lurker.

News Credits:
    Hard to argue against that point.

19. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Everyone here is going to be strongly biased towards an explanation that fits with their own feelings about the book. Personally, I had lost a lot of faith by the end of Dying in the Light - the second season had introduced a bunch more characters but not given them any reason to be there, barring Megatron. As a result, Megatron, Brainstorm and Getaway's (introduced at end of season 1) arcs were by far the most interesting drivers of the season, and every time we cut away from them the pace slackened. Nautica, Nightbeat, Riptide and Bluestreak - as much as we might like the idea of including these characters, they were narrative dead weight, Riptide and Bluestreak entirely so. Roberts did try to give Nautica and Nightbeat story arcs of their own, but they were weakly conceived and unconvincing.

Other characters also became dead weight after Roberts ran their stories to a conclusion and then failed to rotate them out. Chromedome and Rewind should have been put on the backburner after their reunion. Brainstorm, although a highlight of the first half of the season, should also have been shuffled off after his trial. But the real balldrop was Cyclonus. The build up to his 'death', the way it played into his relationship with Whirl and his flaws as a character - all of that was classic MTMTE at its best. A real death would have been remembered, I think, as the most brave and affecting part of the entire run. Instead, he came back and joined the rapidly expanding number of characters with nothing much left to do. (We already knew he was prepared to die for Tailgate - that was the proper apex of their relationship).

It became very apparent at this point that this was no longer a book about people with individual dramatic arcs crossing over one another - it was a bloated sitcom with a regular cast that had to be seen to be doing *something* even if they really had nothing to do. This is why it became increasingly 'quippy'. Chromedome, Rewind, Brainstorm, Nautica, Nightbeat, Bluestreak, Cyclonus, Tailgate, Riptide, plus new arrivals Thunderclash and Velocity - all of these characters had to show up to be counted in some capacity, but none of them were driving the direction of the plot anymore.

(I don't count Whirl in this lineup because as far as I'm concerned, he's the only character who was so well written that he didn't need a story arc to make his presence interesting. Swerve also gets off because he was the original quippy bystander.)

All of this made Dying of the Light a problem from the start. It was a siege story, with the cast up against impossible odds. There's no way to convincingly tell this kind of story without heavy casualties. See Zulu, Seven Samurai, etc. But because MTMTE had become a vehicle for a group of fan favourites to chum along together, there was no way we were going to get that. Instead, the whole thing devolved into a silly punch-up for most of the cast, only for them to be shoved off-screen to let Megatron finish his dramatic arc - almost as if Rodimus had said, "Clear out, guys - we know there's only one serious storyline going on here, and none of you are actually a part of it. Especially now we've quickly wrapped up the Skids subplot."

Then the disappointing Tarn reveal, of course.

NOW ...

all of that meant that Lost Light had to do something pretty impressive for the shake-up and name-change to take effect. If Roberts had jumped right back to the Mutineers and started from there, with a fresh cast coming to terms with their ship being taken over by a madman - that, I think, would have helped a great deal. Instead, Roberts made exactly the same mistake he made with the start of season 2 - he started spooning more characters in all over the shop. Anode, Lug, Fangry, the various Functionist universe alternates, that additional doctor character. Plus all of his regulars, most of whom still had nothing much to do. I can't even remember where Ratchet and Drift were or what they were meant to be doing during the first few issues of Lost Light, or a single line uttered by Chromedome, Nightbeat, Nautica, Brainstorm, Velocity etc. I do remember Cyclonus and Tailgate being recentred as main characters, but at this point there was no tension or momentum in their relationship - it was pure soap opera - dragged-out melodrama.

The ideas and the plotting were still there, but this was simply not a good way to kick off a refresher season. The first Lost Light arc should have been lean and mean. Instead, it was overstuffed and saggy, and I'm not surprised if that was the last straw for many long-term readers.

• Like Like x 14
  20. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Brutal! Alas I agree with most of it.