Lost Light #24 Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lucas35, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I will never be fed up with G1. But they still have to do good stories. I don't really wanna start from the beginning again.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Shingo No-Prize

G1 reboot: the Circle of Light battles the Functionists.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    We might actually be getting to that.
    Cyberverse for example has more on character drive, with the war only the story device that moves them from cybertron to earth, but as the show progresses we're learning more about the characters, and the culture itself. The friendship bonds, the exploration of space like we saw in one episode.

So while the reboot is likely to reignite the war, it is also a better chance to start from the ground up. Develop out the culture, traditions, establish them better as a thriving species, to the full causes of the war, where it started, how it escalated, but then more on the impact of what that does to each on a personal level. Better explain the rise of different characters, what they lost or gave up in the process, where their will to move forward comes from. Everything that's rather "human" to relate to on the emotional ends.

Definitely have to agree some of the best stories to come out of TF fiction have been the ones that moved away from the war itself and explored their inherent humanity, perspectives, and showed their culture in general and their views. That "people" angle really makes you feel for them and better bond to them than non-stop rock em sock em robots. Omega Supreme in G1 had some great stories because of that, Animated was amazing because while it did have fighting decepticons it explored them more as an alien species on earth and adjusting. That was some of the highlights to Cybertron too, when refugees were hiding in plain sight and what their day to day lives became.

So going forward, while it is likely to be heavily G1 with all lores merged into one, we are likely to get more spread on the coverage too. What Rescue Bots did on cybertron before the war. What various others were doing before the non-stop fighting and degradation of their world as it was torn up from the non-stop fighting. To fully feel the impact of what the "Great war" caused, we do need to see and feel more of what it was before, and then follow it up with what it can become after, as well as what the mild "pause" in the war caused as the two main leaders essentially fell off the grid for a millenia before waking up.

In much of TF Fiction there is a push about this. That "What are we when the fighting finally stops" and that entire aspect of "do we even know what to go back to or what we're going back to?" that's been present from the novel fiction to the comics and more. And it is a very human question in itself too, there are soldiers that go through similar questions after too many tours of duty.

It's one of the other interesting metaphors to explore, and it's very poignant to american history itself(and sadly current politics too, but that gets into a much larger debate that's off limits in the rules here). If you look at it from a point of the colonial days to the revolution and the building from there. Now granted this is more like a 3 faction uprising. As we have the status quo being shattered and those that want it to stay. The autobots and the decepticons themselves clashing as the Decepticon 'might makes right' platform and propaganda is simply tyranny in a new form while the autobots are seeking a more equal free society unhindered by the privilege and status that's imposed on them by the culture they became from the ruling classes and council. It's some very relevant material on all sides to really dive into these concepts thoroughly and how it impacts each character as a person. And alongside that, we can also get more on the wider universe and how their war impacts the views of other species towards them more. Fully dive into the ramifications it has on other colonies. It's what makes Drift shine a character and his growth, how he went to become a decepticon from his life as essentially a homeless youth, to seeing how corrupt and power mad they really were, to his further growth and learning to look out for others. The further growth RID showed of him taking on proteges and other bots that were like him to save them from the life he was forced into like how he was once saved by kindness of a colony that then the decepticons slaughtered.

IDW has told some great stories, and I think the future going forward, while yes we're going to get a 'starting over' story likely, we'll still get more of what made IDW shine. The stories of heart and characters, with really the war more in the background as the catalyst to drive other elements forward and give us reasons to know these characters and what motivates them. What they fight for, why they are the way they are.

And it's definitely one of the interesting growth paths of Megatron too. Seeing how he started, rose to power, and how he eventually changed and matured. This also gives us a chance to go back more towards Optimus Prime's original origins. His blue collar worker thrown into the war, becoming a leader to stand up for others. A simple ware house worker turned soldier that had no choice but to fight. Though I do like his data clerk origins too. The idea of having him as some kind of blue collar worker that loves to read or had spent many extra hours at data storage to explore the past and other fiction works is still a great idea. But the idea of him as a more blue collar worker, an average joe, not someone that's rich or a point of authority, a random nobody essentially is a very powerful element that did get kind of lost in aligned & IDW over time. While the data clerk aspect did push a more average office worker and learned bot of lower to middle class status. It's not quite the same impact as a more blue collar minimum wage laborer job and the details associated to that about his fellow workers. Like a Union leader that rises up from the labor force to fight for their rights.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  4. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Barber was the one treating Con's like crap since the beginning of RID. Meanwhile Robert's gave us DJD, Scavengers, the history of Wariors Elite and Phase 6ers and other Decepticon factions.

Speaking of which....I wonder if Deathsaurus will be bringing his War worlds along to.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TyrantLizardKing

TyrantLizardKing Lord of all Terrible Lizards

I’m most likely late in saying this but has anyone else noticed that Megatron’s wearing his fusion cannon design from Animated?

• Like Like x 2
  6. ZachimusPrime

ZachimusPrime toys.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Damn. Brendan’s art is always a treat to see. I wish he could’ve done more issues in this universe.

7. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    In this continuity, they aren't Headmasters.

I think the fandom is easily split. I think MTMTE has been the best series of the IDW run. Wreckers easily #2 favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rock em sock em robots I think back that’s how most g1 episodes where in cartoon fighting decepticons want to rule autobotd stop them irritating humans how is few autobots wear alien masks be in Hollywood movie good story.

9. Deadend

News Credits:
    I noticed that too, which is funny cause I was adjusting the shelf right before reading this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Though it’s not an actual fusion cannon, it’s a fold up medical kit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    I don't want them to start on Earth again.

I don't wanna see humans in a reboot anytime soon.

• Like Like x 5
  12. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Seeing Fort Max and Cerberus as totally separate characters of relatively similar size is surprisingly weird.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Finally someone that gets it! LEt me .. *HUGS A LOT* I mean, yes, I like the war stuff as every other Tf fan but having them just..be themselves without the war was... a lot of fun. Seeing them rebuilding Cybertron, going to other places, aaww..I am going to miss that.

• Like Like x 5
  14. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

So DJD is forgotten too quickly. Yet they have been soooo popular along with Overlord.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Irv Gotti

Irv Gotti I'm Rick James B%#ch!!

I truly hope this is the case with a reboot. Just FYI, IDW Orion Pax wasn’t a blue collar warehouse worker, he was a “Hero/Super-Cop”; the one good cop within a precinct full of crooked and dirty cops (like Whirl) under the control of the corrupt Senate. This version of Orion Pax as a Dudley-DoRight bot-of-action forced into a cause and a war much larger than himself while mirroring Megatron’s working poor poet-revolutionary turned prisoner/slave turned gladiator turned warlord in a war where Cybertron is the intergalactic version of the Roman Empire, was one of James Robert’s greatest contributions to the Transformers franchise ever. I would welcome a reboot where all the established world building is used as the foundation for the new setting.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Deadend

News Credits:
    I didn't say IDW was, I said G1 was. IDW and aligned changed that. He became a data clerk/Librarian in aligned and as you pointed out a cop in autocracy/IDW. G1 is his original origin, where he was a warehouse worker that was injured by megatron and rebuilt into the Optimus Prime we know. Which carries a better "young worker turned to wise compassionate union leader because of a work accident" sub-tone. And there's a better story pull of how Megatron set him on that path by actions of Megatron's power mad militia and how one of the earliest casualties of their lust for power became the biggest thorn in Megatron's side. (War Dawn.)

I'd like to still keep the learned bot/librarian element, but I think they can still add-in the Warehouse worker/manager aspect of G1. So he's more a bot that was working two jobs. His passion of reading and learning at night(escapism), and his day job of dock work/warehouse work. It seems important to keep the "learned bot" aspect of the data clerk/librarian with his growing role into leader, and how that plays into strategy and how people turn to him and listen to him.

But the foundations of a warehouse worker, a blue collar joe are equally important. That he's an average anybody that rose to the occasion, not for power but because someone had to do what was right.

It carries a better relation point of "average" person. Night school or enjoying to read, while also still having to work a day job.

Not really a fan of the cop origin for longer serialized fiction. Then it starts to carry too much 'authority vs revolutionary' in their dynamic but it was nice for a story at least to make him go more "Training Day" for a bit and explore that aspect of Optimus versus corrupt cops and cybertron crime. That was one of those things that was a carryover from animated and the Autobot Academy. Fun for a story that hasn't been told, but not really something that holds under longevity really because of the inherent issues to the metaphor clash.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    This yes. Especially if it tells new stories, but doesn't contradict the previous continuity. In millions of years is a LOT blanks to fill.

18. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Fort Max and Red Alert to the rescue!!

19. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I, too, am going to miss the post-war adventures. You get to see characters interact that don’t normally interact in a social setting and just have other bad guys to fight or just other Cybertronians without the war backdrop.

• Like Like x 4
  20. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

There's a sense of sadness with this, that this 13 year continuity is coming to an end. We've had some great moments and not so great but overall the batting average was good.

However in still getting my head around most peoples aversion to war stories set in a future continuity and the idea that war is a bad or boring thing. For the most part the franchise had been built on 1 warring factions Autobots v decepticons or maximals v predacons. 2 Robots hiding in disguise (something that didn't happen all that much in IDW (I'm looking at you mtmte and lost light) . There's no reason that world building and character building can't happen against the backdrop of war. We can still have character driven stories set during war time.

I for one would love to see a future battle between Galvatron and ultra magnus or blaster v sound wave or metroplex v trypticon in the new continuity.

Because why not.....

• Like Like x 1