Lost Light #12- Spoilers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rlmiddleton, Dec 26, 2017.

1. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Hmmm, that issue was underwhelming to me.

I thought Rook might in the longer term get some development but away that goes. Defensor comes along- hurrah!- then is defeated in moments with a sword. Unbelievably poor pay off. Star Sabre? Could be interesting. I guess. Sets it up for the inevitable rematch with Cyclonus. Meh.

The Scavengers interlude was jarring to say the least. Why was it added here specifically? And in the middle of this issue not the start or end? The inference seems to be it will reflect on what comes next on Cyberutopia, in which case sticking it in here rather than building it out earlier is...not great. Maybe I am missing something.

This issue didn’t offer much new we hadn’t got from the previous issues. People are growing unhappy with Getaway. He’s becoming more of a psycho. Okay I get it. Can we get on with the story now? The Protectobots escaping was my main takeaway.

After the disappointment of the first Lost Light issues, the last two picked things up for me and I stayed up late tonight excited to read this like the old days. But it doesn’t feel like the final part in a mutineers’s trilogy. It feels like an additional plod towards the long term ending. Which is fine except...it was billed as the third part of a trilogy.

And yes, I know that you can say “but they got to Cyberutopia, that’s major development” but that’s the macro-plot as it were, not any kind of resolution to this arc. Just chucking it in on the last page seems...hollow to me. No doubt there will be more than meets the eye to it if indeed it is Cyberutopia

Edit: maybe this impression is the result of a late night read coloured by dashed expectations. Perhaps it will seem better in the context of what comes after, or in the cold light of day.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Without spoilers, to me your write up confirms that
    A) Roberts is now explicitly writing to wrap up his storylines and bring everything to an end. This is the answer to your “why did this show up here”? I expect he’s trying to get everything in as fast as possible.

B) as usual Roberts cannot write a satisfying conclusion to save his life. He’s all buildup and no payoff (which incidentally is a theme in the solicits that he writes as well :)  )

I said that after literally every Roberts arc that took place in the book until I dropped it. I wouldn’t hold out great hopes ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Goddammit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

You might want to go with singular this time *sniff*

• Like Like x 5
  5. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    The issue shocked me a whole lot. I honestly think the reason I liked this issue is because of how the events made me react. I didn't think Roberts would kill off all these characters just like that, especially Mirage of all 'bots.

Some thoughts:
    - A LOT of dead Autobots. Really surprised that Defensor, Mirage, and Atomizer are basically dead now. Well, not really surprised about Atomizer, but was surprised to see all the Protectobots save for First Aid get gunned down (I doubt Blades lived anyway :(  ) , and especially Mirage getting Ambulon'd by Star Saber.

- Scavengers interlude was a nice addition. Confused as to why Hellbat is Liokaiser's arm, when he's dead in the IDW stories. It should be Deathcobra instead. Also interesting to see that Fulcrum's former boss was Deathsaurus. Excited to see who mystery portal man is.

- Very interested to see what Star Saber and Getaway end up doing. Getaway's gone full on Megatron at this point.

EDIT: Went through it a second time:

- Why didn't Atomizer escape with First Aid? He literally just stood there while Star Saber recovered.

- Remember back in MTMTE 50 when Prime and the others received Rodimus's message about Getaway? Where exactly does the current Lost Light timeline fit into the current IDWverse? I know that the message was received 3 weeks after they sent it, but I'm surprised they don't talk about anything from the Lost Light or team Rodimus anywhere after that, aside from the final MTMTE two-part story with Prowl.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  6. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Oh yes, you’re right! I don’t think I fully took in that one small panel where Hot Spot, Groove and Streetwise get shot to death last night. Still maybe they’ll get brought back in the time honoured tradition.

I did wonder whether the rushed nature of this issue was purposefully done because later we will find it’s some kind of dream loop Getaway has been put in. But my thinking is if that is the case then it’s essentially wasting our time as readers showing us something of no real lasting import. So my conclusion is to accept the issue at face value as ‘real’ and just rushed.

End of the day- this was part three of a trilogy explicitly about the mutineers and my (not unreasonable I don’t think) expectation was that the mutiny would reach some kind of conclusion here. It hasn’t in any way.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I thought Ratchet turned Ambulon into a weapon...

• Like Like x 1
  8. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    The Scavengers mystery portal person is certainly intriguing but imo the thing the story isn’t lacking are extra teasers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. maku098

News Credits:
    Oh, certainly. Cyberutopia, the Scavengers and mystery portal guy are two big teasers, and the return of Star Saber, but I can't wait to see what happens to Riptide, First Aid and Thunderclash now that they were able to escape. Hopefully they run into Rodimus and the others.

But what I really wanna know is what's the deal with Liokaiser? It's surprising that there are now 5 combiners (Superion, Monstructor, Menasor, Devastator, and now Liokaiser) who weren't originally formed through the Enigma of Combination.

• Like Like x 2
  10. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

Consider them as Constructed Cold and others (Defensor, Optimus Maximus, Victorion) as Forged maybe?

• Like Like x 2
  11. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

I'm also puzzled why Grimlock has been kinda absent when they flee, but end up slammed into the portal by Nickel in the last panel. Could he be that 'you'?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Well, Amubulon is the result of a Decepticon combiner experiment. Maybe Liikaiser is another attempt.

• Like Like x 3
  13. maku098

News Credits:
    That is a very interesting way of viewing the combiners. I like it.

Oh right, I forgot about his origin. That does make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    MTMTE #50 through LL #7 all took place a few weeks before the start of All Hail Optimus, and the "goodbye message" reached Earth and Cybertron between ex-RID #50 and #51.

We don't really know how much time has now passed since Rodimus and co. left Necroworld aboard Skip, but we must at least be past Revolution (which was a few weeks/months after AHO and Titans Return), since the events of MTMTE: Revolution have presumably already happened to the Scavengers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    So we have the Lost Light, the Scavengers, The BBC, The Galactic Council, Deathsaurus, and mysterious portal guy who may or may not be Scorponok, all in close proximity to “Cyberutopia”. That looks like five factions to me assuming that Krok and crew are counted with Deathsaurus.
    Hopefully Rodimus and friends can join the fun in three months or so.
    Always glad to see Thunderclash fail to live up to the hype.

16. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He did after Pharma slash him in half lengthwise and challenge Ratchet to save him. Now if looking back what if the people in feedback loop have red badges are dead the grey badges are still alive. I doubt the crew will be turning Mirage's corpse into a weapon.

I am curious to find out what happens to the crew when they realized that some of their fellow Autobots got butchered.

17. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    No one seems like...surprised or shocked or anything about Star Saber...like...it's not he called WHO?! It's more "weeeeeeell...he's difficuuuuuult". I suspect things like this are all going to eventually fall under the banner of "nudge gun"...but it's weird.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Kafuka Fuura

Kafuka Fuura Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I thought OP hasn’t received the message yet
    James Roberts on Twitter

But now I am a bit confused too.

BTW, enjoyed this issue. Happy to see Nickel again and look forward to Star Saber‘s rematch with Cyclonus.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:

More in line with Sunder than the Nudge gun. I do believe Protectobots with the exception of First Aid are dead and same goes with Mirage. It is far easier for Sunder to wipe the crew's memories of the Protectobots and Mirage ever being there than it is alter their memories. Rodimus saving the crew will hit some really hard that the were violated and lead to the deaths of the Fellow Autobots.

Hound is going get hit real hard and what going Lost Light will affect him deeply. Deep down Hound is a decent person and he is Third in Command and he will take it was his responsibility. No the crew will have some serious trauma as a result of Getaway's command and action.

• Like Like x 2
  20. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yes, the whole rushed and odd tone of some bits like this give it a surreal, dreamlike quality that one might be inclined to think suggested mental manipulation. But honestly, what a waste of time if we had several issues simply repeating the trick of the first in this ‘trilogy’, which weren’t real events and at the end it was just “oh, nudge gun/Sunder”.