Lost Discussion Thread (Spoilers within)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shipwreck, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

what if the others were really fallen angels?

2. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    In regards to the polar bear:

Remember in the episode that featured Walt? Where Michael has to rescue him from the polar bear?

Check out the comic book Walt is reading in that episode. Oh shit, it's Green Lantern in Spanish, yes, but what is GL fighting?

A polar bear. Coincidence? Hardly. I think that one reason the polar bear might be there is due to Walt being "special" and having some influence over reality (don't forget about the fact that the bird that died when his mother first fell ill was the same bird that the jerk husband refused to look at in Walt's book)

I'm beginning to think that the Dharma Initiative is something far more vicious than any of us have believed up til now. Or, deceptive, at least. Remember, we have no proof that the rest of the world is still there. Perhaps the people on the island are the last, unwitting survivors of some global catastrophe, and The Others are set against them, seeing to it that the human race has only the best possible specimens survive and reproduce.

God, I love this show. :p 

3. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I think its a bit of both. I think they have a general plan - they know what the island is, what Dharma is and what it was doing, and who the Others are. By this point they know who the characters are (though they didn't in the beginning - Locke wasn't originally going to be in a wheelchair). But I think they are making other things up as they go along - specifically when and how the Losties uncover these secrets. Nor do I think they will throw away a good idea even if it causes them to make slight revisions in their plans.

4. Mister D

The bears were mentioned in the Dharma film as being experimental subjects. Why the bears? Who knows, but we need to uncover a lot more to find out.

5. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

Aside from their appearance in the film when Dr. Candle mentions zoological and other research conducted by Dharma, the polar bears are also mentioned on the blast door map in Lockdown. I've seen screencaps people have deciphered, and on the bottom right of the map it says- Possible location of zoological research facility. It also says - Stated goal, reinteration: accelerated deterritorialization of Ursus Maritimus(polar bear) through gene therapy and extreme climate change. Theres alot of other info on the map too, I hope Locke is as thorough deciphering it as people on the net. :D 

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i never noticed the polar bear mention in the film before....this whole show is just crazy...and i cant wait to see bernard and rose's story, my fiance is gonna cry i just know it....she was in tears when they reunited, and even before that, when bernard asked if she was there....i hope we get a libby backstory soon too....im still curious to see how long this show will last, i hope it ends at a 3rd season....that'd be a good time to wrap up the whole thing IMHO....

7. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

***Spoilers for 4/12 episode***

Another great episode, IMO. We really needed a Bernard/Rose backstory. Unfortunately, that looks like the only one we'll get. If they're happy staying on the island, no more character arc for them and thus no more flashbacks. I really like how they explained more about the island without directly doing so re: the "magnetic" force on the island. And I was misty with their backstory, but not as much of a damn crybaby as whenever Jin and Sun have episodes.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I thought it was a fairly uneventful episode. For now being repeats until May 3rd they really should have had like a big bang at the end. I know, such and such happened at the end of the ep, but for those who did not see that coming realy should stop watching the show entirely.

9. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Another episode and no questions answered. :( 

10. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    First of all, is there anyway a mod can change the title of this thread to the "Lost Discussion Thread" rather than a sentence referring to the show not being good enough? It has, after all, become a thread where people come and just discuss the show, right?

That said, I was a bit underwhelmed as well. Last week's trailer made it look like we were going to have a big "others" situation in the works, and none of them even made an appearance. The story itself was okay, it was just a different story from what I thought we would have.
    I really wish they'd show more with the monster. It was shown once this season and when it was they finally showed what it looked like. Since then we've more or less completely forgotten it's even a part of the series.
    I didn't realise we had to wait until May for more. Booo! What do you want to bet we'll wait all that time to see what Micheal has to say about invading the Others between flash backs of him and Walt and they won't even do it in the time of that episode or at least not even begin to do it until the end of that episode?

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought it was a decent backstory. Nothing amazing like a Sawyer story or Hurley's stories, but good. It was really sweet kinda. Bernard finds the woman of his dreams and the fact she is sick and going to die doesn't send him running. Then he spends a lot to try and find a way to save the woman he loves.

I love the exchange between Rose and Bernard where se suggests he talk to Jack.

"What does Jack know about this? He's a doctor." - Bernard
    "...And your a dentist." - Rose
    :lol 

12. Mister D

"Why is no one trying to get rescued?"

"Does the island heal?"

"Doesn't anyone care where the food came from?"

"What is Mr. Eko building?"

"Who are Rose and Bernard?"

"Why didn't Kate tell anyone about the second hatch?"

"Are they really going to have Locke in a cast for the next two seasons?"

"What's the name of the Frogurt guy?"

13. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

Heh, owned.

I liked it, although cancer being cured by a large magnet is a bit...odd. Although lots of things on the island are odd I guess.

14. MegaPrime33

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    1. They don't ever feel that they will
    2. Yes
    3. Yes, Bernard seems to
    4. A Church
    5. We've just learned that
    6. Because she felt left out of the main group who knew everything
    7. Doubtful
    8. Neil

15. Mister D

Right. That's the point. Questions are answered. They tend to be answered every week. They may not be the BIG questions (which wait for sweeps weeks and season premiers), but answers do come to those who wait.

For the record, most of these were not hypothetical questions. I doubt I every heard anyone ask who Rose and Bernard (but that should be an open question for all the characters, especially those that have gotten minimal screen time) and the frogurt question was me being a smart ass, but I have heard someone bitch about all the rest at some point in the last few weeks.

16. MegaPrime33

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I gotcha. I thought you were really asking, so I decided to answer :) 

17. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

The episode was all right but I think it comes from a wrong place. This episode would have been better had it been shown eariler in the season. But at a point when right now most people's emotional investment is in whats going on with the Others, Walt, Michael, and Henry Gail nobody really cares about Bernard and Rose. I'm not saying we never will care about them, but the thing with me is that there are bigger fish to fry and more important things that should be shown instead of the same formula of showing the events that the trailers hype up in the last two minutes.

18. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Done.
    I was considering renaming the thread anyway.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was thinking it should be:

4 8 15 16 23 42

20. Mister D

It may be that they had no other flashback that fit really well here. It does fit the story a bit - Rose and Bernard showcasing two takes on faith, which were currently warring in Locke's head, and eventually allowed him to find peace with himself again and remember the details of the map.

It also serves, I think, as a subtle poke at fandom, those who are willing to wait and accept this is all part of the plan, vs those who are anxious and want to force a resolution now.

Its also fair to point out that we don't know how any of tonight's revelations will feed into the season's final arc.