Lost - anyone else getting disinterested?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drippy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

First off, I've been a tremendous fan of the show since the early part of season one.

However, after last night's episode, I was kind of surprised to realize that I really didn't care about the events in the episode or where the show was going. I said something to my wife about being totally lukewarm to the whole thing. And the more I think about it, the more I realize I'm just disinterested. I haven't quite figured out why as of yet...

Lack of primary plot revelations?

Lack of primary plot focus and direction?

No longer interesting and/or predictable characters?

Hmmm...not sure.

Anyone else in the same boat?

2. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I began to lose interest towards the end of season 1.

All the teasing and minor plot points has become slightly annoying.
    Droping some hints about things then never picking them up till much later on in the series got old fast.

Yet I still can't stop watching it.

3. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Season 2 still isn't here in Aus yet so right now my interest is still there....

4. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I dunno about anyone else, but I couldn't be more interested! I'll watch this show to then end, then watch the DVD's until they melt from being watched so much. Yes, it does take a lot of time to learn why things are the way they are on the show, but they keep me entertained with the backstories and side-stories. Maybe I'm just easy to entertain, maybe I'm really patient, I dunno. But this show still :rock 

5. centurian

centurian Recovering Energon Abuser

I must admit that my intrest in begining to fade a tad. There's no big huge questions that needs answering at the moment - and by now we all know well enough that if there was - they'd only go and answer it with a dozen more questions - again.

I'll keep watching the show - but probably not from the edge of my seat.

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    One of the best shows on the air.

7. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Absolutely!

8. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

I really like this show and last night episode got even more my interest because now i want to know who the hell are they and how they came on THE ISLAND ;p

9. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Agreed.

But I'm still disinterested all of a sudden. :) 

10. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I've yet to see a single episode of Lost (because I don't get ABC on my cable-less TV signal) but I've heard nothing except fantastic reviews. Smart and cool were some of the main reviews I had heard.

However, with all of that, all of the constant pushing of the show, even if I had ABC...I wouldn't watch it. Why? It's Gilligan's Island, with a dark, serious, mature twist and theme. That's great and all, and it's a testament to the human spirit, I get that. What I don't get is, they're on an island, there's an odd creature lurking, there are murderous people, your everyman type people, etc. and so on...how on Earth does that create a good show really? I would think the idea well would dry up rather quickly. I mean how many people can die? How many can escape? How many can survive, etc. After a while, it's a rehash of the same crap over and over.

You're thinking "Well you haven't tried it, you're bias towards it, etc." well I'm willing to say the same thing about one of my favorite shows...Stargate SG-1. At first the movie was "Oh snap, cool!" The show was "Oh wow, this is great, a continuation, we'll get to see so much more." It then turned into: Kill a cast member, change the cast, ascend, defeat the Goa'Uld, repeat. Now it's the Ori, bigger and badder than the Goa'Uld. Then came the spinoff, which is it's own version of Lost if you think about it. Billions of lightyears from home, no way to leave, etc. That gets REAL boring after 8 or 9 seasons or so.

The same ideas being recycled over and over and over just doesn't do good for me after a while. The trick? Use the formula (you have to) but make it compelling, make it seem interesting.

If nothing else, I pity the writers. The shows are resting solely on their shoulders. Not the stars, not the episodic directors, or even the public. The writers. Without them the public won't watch because a show might suck. They're the ones with the hard sell and hopefully we come back for more, or show up at all.

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Being a new convert who just saw all the episodes before last week's in a 48 hour period, I found myself kinda "meh" to the episode. Especially the end, with the "train an army" question.

Though maybe it's that I find Michelle Rodriguez to be too much of an ugly ass man.

12. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Maybe I'm just reacting to the meh that I also found last night's episode to be. I'm not suggesting I won't continue watching in the near term...just hope my disinterest doesn't get worse or even permanent.

On a slight tangent, I have lost no interest in Evangeline Lilly.

13. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I have been an avid fan of the show since the begining and I have to say that it still continues to surprise me and I love it! I can't wait to see a new episode and what happens next. There are so many questions I'm dying to know and every new show just brings up more questions. I am fascinated, I am locked in.

14. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Hasn't that been the knock against JJ Abrams in the past? Create a show that's a hit and takes off hot but then fades after a season or two?

15. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

I thought they did a bang-up job with character development, but as soon as the X-Files shit started I immediately stopped caring about the people. Now I'm all about the Dharma Initiative, whatever the fuck it is. Guess I found my hook.

16. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still love it a ton.. I just want to learn more about people other than Jack and Kate..

Locke - I want to know more about him and how he got in the wheelchair

Sawyer - Want to find out more about him

Hurley - Gotta find out more about him

Sayid - Be nice to find out more about him

Walt/Michael - Want to learn more about them.

I don't care much for Rodrigez charachter, but getting a little more interested in her now that she has mellowed a bit. Also might like to see an ep about Rose and her hubby.

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

"Wait, what happened last night?"

That's my usual reaction. I don't get home in time to watch it but also don't make an effort t otape it. I talk about it with someone who does but if I don't, I really don't care. It's not that important. I want to know stuff and they just keep throwing new twists in. Now it's becomming tiresome. Start giving me facts!

Now 24 on the other hand, that's a show I'm addicted to like crack.

18. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

My Disinterest has remained level ever since I have not watched any of the show.

19. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I love Lost! I also love Alias (Abrams's other show)! In a sea of TV mediocrity these two shows really stand out as something good and special. The key to both series is having characters that people care about and revealing just enought to keep viewers interested while not revealing too much too quickly so they get bored. I have been following Alias since day one and now that it is ending I am confident Abrams will wrap up all the plot threads well and deliver a saitisfying conclusion to a show I have enjoyed for five years. If Abrams can end Alias successfully, I am confident he and Lindorf will do the same for Lost someday too.

20. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Well I'd rather have Lost than any other zillionth reality show that's for sure. Odd that people are saying that nothing's been happening. We got a good look at the "monster", a little more about "The Others", a great new character in Mister Eko, and the whole Dharma Initiative thing. Seems like a lot going on. Yes, not enough answers and too many damn commercials (my complaint with TV shows in general, blame TV on DVD). But I still am captivated. I just wish we would get other characters' backstories more (i.e., the "tailies" and all the background people).

BTW, anyone else read this cool theory on what is actually going on in the island?

http://www.4815162342.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3377