loss of value for botcon scourge and kup?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BairdimusPrime, Oct 12, 2010.

1. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of thunderclash so i do not feel my botcon set was a waste, BUT - I remember when botcon thundercracker was released hasbro stated they cannot release another out of respect to those who bought the botcon figure.
    now in 2011 we're getting a kup and scourge (doubles purchased will be sweeps) now to anyone out there who shelled out the big ebay bucks on the sweeps or purchased the set via botcons site do you feel like you got yerked? i ordered my set off the botcon site and never got the convention exclusives..

thanks guys!

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    collecting is a gamble, simple as that. you take chances or lose out if you wait.

thats bs on tc as they made thrust and dirge.

also we have gen kup and scourge coming which are new molds, i think kup is or i might be wrong, but are better than the molds used for bc. so the appeal has been lost on those figures i think.

3. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    I was holding out on getting those Scourge/Sweeps for the longest time... and I'm thankful I didn't pull the trigger on them. Ridonkulous secondary market prices!
    It's quite cruel of Hasbro to make exclusive homages to army building fodder instead of obscure characters.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    No. I really don't feel shafted or anything. Bottom line for me is a Botcon Thundercracker will always be a Botcon Thundercracker and a Hasbro release will always be a Hasbro release.

Personally, Botcon releases have more sentimental value then a retail figure regardless of it being the same figure (i.e. Thundercracker). At the end of the day I still have my Botcon figures, but I'm happy people will enjoy the same figures at a lower price.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They would still be unique molds. Hasbro would never ban themselves from ever producing one of their characters because of a convention. They never said they can't do another thundercracker, because they own him, and they most certainly can. They would just make him different if they did (different plane mode deco, different color).

6. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    They may sell for less now, but I know many people who would never sell a single one of their Botcon figures because each one is a reminder of the great times they had at the convention. I myself am not so sentimental about my BC figs and will probably be selling off my entire 2011 set next year, but it's a mindset I can fully respect.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone who pays above retail for a readily available mold is setting themselves up to be disappointed when Hasbro or Takara rerelease the figure again.

8. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I've never sold nor would i sell any of my botcon sets, i just thought it was rather quick for them to release these two figs as we haven't seen thundercracker yet

Happy with everyones input!!!!

9. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are still going to be the Botcon sets of those guys. The new Kup and Scourge are going to be new molds. I can see what they meant with the seeker mold cause thats like the most whored out mold going right now.

Unless Generations Kup is exact same mold and Botcon Kup (Which he aint) I dont see any "devaluing" happening.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    They might be new molds, but at least some of the appeal of the Botcon ones was for the character. Now that the characters are getting mainstream releases, the Botcon ones have lost that appeal factor.

11. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Well, I expect some devaluing to occur simply because you have more casual collectors who simply wants a good version of the character who are now going to wait to get Generations Kup rather than the Botcon version.

Same basic situation has happened with characters like Ironhide and Ratchet, there was some value loss because more readily available versions were available in the Universe line, but not much as they were still fairly unique (and you will always have collectors who want all versions of a character).

In regards to Thundercracker, Hasbro will likely do him at some point, he just won't be the same as his Botcon version, meaning either he'll get the "modern seeker pattern" used on 06 Starscream and Skywarp or he'll end up in cartoon colors.

12. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Well, "devalue" isn't the word for me because Botcon pieces will always be special in their own rights. (Afterall, these are convention pieces) So long as you're not selling 'em, then you're not losing that "value." ;) 

I think "demand" is a bigger word instead.

While I do agree that when exclusive figures get general release, some/most of the Collectors immediately loses interest in getting 'emselves the exclusive because they would rather get something that is more affordable.

I'm likely to think that Hasbro would have shot 'emselves in the foot if they really decide to re-release most if not ALL their Botcon pieces in general because that's when the Fandom throws in that towel & stop turning up/buying their "Exclusives."

When that happens, they really have their ownselves to blame, no? :popcorn 

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Meh. I love Botcon Scourge and still do. I wasn't planning on selling him anyway, and I still have him proudly displayed. I'm gonna get the new one, too.

And Botcon Kup is not just Kup, but "young Kup." He's still unique.

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People need to let go of this fixation on value and enjoy toys for what they really are.......toys.

It is like some folks think once a character is made into a Botcon figure, they must be retired and never receive a new figure again.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some get really wrapped up in the perceived value (monetary, rarity, status, whatever) of any given exclusive, and get up a head of steam against anything which lessens that hypothetical value (even when they never plan to resell it). Some feel an irresistible desire to say things like "Hey I bet you morons who paid a hundred bucks are feeling really STUPID right now! I'm enjoying the belief that your world is crashing down around you! Schadenfreude ROCKS!"

Both are pretty insufferable. :) 

16. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

That ^^ and this ^

17. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    But the issue there is the club more often than not, does things that Hasbro is likely NEVER to do (with the exception of the 2007 Seeker set).

I can guarantee that you will never see anything like Shattered Glass at retail. Same with "pre-Beast" Maximals. And while Hasbro may reuse names, more often than not, it will be on whatever current line repaint they are chucking out. Again, the club tries VERY hard to focus on areas that hasbro doesn't, and it appears to be working out well in that regard.

18. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    ^ Which was why I used "IF" in my previous quote. :p 

19. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    it's because some folks are fanatical "about protecting their botcon purchase investment value" and get pissed off and butthurt when a main stream tf gets released...check the seekers out...how many fanboys and girls pitched a bitch about henkei skywarp and thundercracker...and then repeated the same bitch fest about thrust and dirge....

20. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes the secondary value of the botcon Kup and Scourge will go down (at least temporarily) now that mass release versions have been announced. Why? Because they'll be far cheaper than their botcon counterparts and thus the number of people wanting one for their "classics" shelves will dry up. How much is yet to be seen. So far it's happened with BC Thrust, Dirge, Ratchet and Ironhide, so there's little reason to doubt it will happen with BC Kup and Scourge.

As for Botcon Thundercracker, I think the mainline release will be a new mold. Perhaps a deluxe sized F-22 or F-35 (whilch would allow Hasbro to rerelease Skywarp and Starscream)?

Which is why Hasbro and the club end up having a fair number of meetings regarding the theme, toys and decos for each year's Botcon figures. Take this year for example, FP wanted to do G2 Thundercracker and Ramjet for Botcon 2010, but Hasbro said no to Thundercracker and to wait a year on Ramjet.

In the end, it does make one wonder what the contract between Hasbro and the club says regarding Hasbro's ability to make mass released versions of club/Botcon figures?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010